Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
ZL1 will be worth more than a modded SS.
It is only worth more if you plan to sell it or wreck it.

I plan to keep my SS for another 20 years or so. I pity the fool if I get hit.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
It is only worth more if you plan to sell it or wreck it.

Majority of owners say this to themselves to justify the expense of modding the car....
Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #17
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Hmmmm I look a look at the Fast List on this site and I see why this is a tough decision
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #18
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
And even then, the ZL1 in the same condition will be worth more in potential value 20 years from now.

If you WANT to do all the mods to the SS, then do it. But the ZL1 is an upgrade through and through without having to open the tool box and get dirty (unless you can't aim a foam gun right). Anyone who says otherwise have never owned a ZL1. In the end, either way, you'll still have a Camaro, which is totally cool in itself. Like was mentioned, never heard ANYONE regret trading their LS/LT/SS for a ZL1, no matter what the mods.

You always will have someone try to justify a modded SS over a ZL1 everyday. Just don't buy into the hype. You cannot build a ZL1 from an SS for the same money difference. You just can't. Already talking about 7-8k in turbo or supercharger additions, which are cool, but now your $40K SS is pushing close to $50k. By the time you do a brake and third member upgrade kit from GM alone, for example, you could likely find a brand new ZL1. And still end up with a modded SS that's worth less than the ZL1.

We have both, and now when I want to go fast, I get the key to the ZL1 without having to worry the wife about putting in a cam, headers, etc., on the SS because she wouldn't drive it like that, guaranteed. I got the best of both worlds. And a wife who likes Camaros, too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #19
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
My advice to you would be to calculate the cost difference and value between both cars. I traded my SS L99 for a ZL1 and if I had to do it again, I'm sure I would go a different route. I thought I would be satisfied with the power in the ZL1 since it's already supercharged but after a week I am already putting 6k-7k to modify it to one of the mid hp packages out there. 8k in the SS would have put me in the same RWHP as the modded ZL1. Sure you don't get the magnetic ride but you can get damn close to the way the ZL1 drives with a few thousand more.

Trading in your SS will be a loss. They aren't giving shit on the older models. I was upside down on my trade in but I got a heck of a deal on a used ZL1. Still my payments increased $100 and my insurance went up about $30. Some insurance companies wouldn't insure the ZL1. Also gas compared to the SS is about 4-5 MPG less. I was averaging 17-19 combined and now I'm like 13-15 combined.

Don't get me wrong though, this is a freaken ZL1. It's an amazing car and drives like a beast. Just saying to make sure you take in everything and make sure it's worth it to you. You'll never be satisfied and will want to pour more money into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:
If you want all the other BS that goes with the ZL1, go that way. If not SC the SS.
What is the BS? Just curious, I have an SS and hope to SC or Turbo some day.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
I just sold my 2011 SC SS on here with a cam, LTs, Alky, mantic, dss, pfadt suspension and all supporting mods making a conservative 640/639 and I can say as soon as I got in the ZL1 I new I was buying it (Tuesday I pick it up).

With what I put in my SS I could of bought a ZL1 and had money left over for mods. If you wanna go fast in SS and have it reliable be prepared to spend the money. The ZL1 is way better platform.
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #22
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
First off the ZL1 is a very nice car but to say a SS will never perform as good or better is iffy to me. In my opinion the ONLY thing I don't have on my car that the ZL1 does is the magnetic ride which I'm sure is great but as far as being beefy I have the 9 inch rear, BMR suspension, and a Whipple so I feel pretty confident about going up against a ZL1. I would say find one and see how much it would cost you to trade and go by that. ZL1's are no doubt wicked cars and I would love to have one but already deep into my SS. In the end do your homework and just go the cheapest route, a supercharger on a SS or a ZL1 you will love both.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #23
jrhagen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvie70 View Post
What is the BS? Just curious, I have an SS and hope to SC or Turbo some day.

Hood, front bumper, badge, rockers, very small heat exchanger, closed SC cooling system, 10x20 fronts that can't be tucked, aluminum block.

I upgraded to the ZL1 rear cradle and driveline as it can handle my power better than SS. I guess that is one positive for the extra $20k the Z costs.

My point is that nobody is satisfied with stock equipment. You can end up in the same place with either the SS or ZL1, but the starting point cost less in the SS.

I have spent way too much money on my car, but it is exactly the way I want it. I choose the SS because I knew most of the stock parts would be replaced. I have most of the stock parts in my garage, engine, 4 sets of wheels/tires, suspension, cosmetics, etc. it is my toy and I made it the way I wanted.

That is what everybody should do. Personally, I don't care what model you start with or what you do to your car. Odds are I will never see it and I certainly will never drive it.

Enjoy your car as I do mine.

P.S. Their are 2 exceptions to my statement above: never buy the day glow green or Barney purple Camaros.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
The signature from this post should answer your question. You can spend loads of money on a SS or a ZL1 and ultimately end up with basically the same car but the starting point is cheaper with the SS.

If the ZL1 is so great, what is the need for all the mods?
If you read the entire sig you can see I'm putting up to 1200 horsepower to the tires. I like to go fast. Last I checked the only car I could buy with 1200 hp was the Bugatti and it was cheaper to build a Camaro. I can tell you that with this much power I have not had any failure of any kind with the ZL1 driveline behind the clutch. Other than changing the ratios on some individual gears, that is all stock and the Suspension handles all of this fine.

If you buy a ZL1 and you decide you want more power, you will never need to upgrade anything other than the fuel pump system and the clutch. And some people are drag racing with up to 750whp on a stock ZL1 clutch and getting a full season out of the clutch. The platform is that good. I recommend the ZL1.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #25
jrhagen
Banned

Opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has one but nobody wants to hear anybody else's.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baer383 View Post
I haven't seen a modded SS on this forum that can compete with any modded ZL1,plus the drive train on the ZL1 is a lot stronger than the SS.
Compete in what????

If your talking about 1/4 mile runs only 1 bolt on has a better time then me and only 4 with bolt on and internals with better times. stock ZL1 best time is 11.71 And am #14 in cat 6. And am still on stock rear.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF

Last edited by Mr. Nasty; 06-22-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #27
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
If I had not bought either yet, I would start with the ZL1, if I was already +12k of mods on the SS, I'd continue down the SS path, I'm still under $50k on mine and I'm pretty happy with it. So, unless you have an emotional bond with your present SS, I'd go ZL1 probably used and start there. The warranty will be gone with the first mod anyway. I may own something else one day but my present SS ain't going anywhere.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Unless it's a huge cost difference, I would go with the ZL1.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote