Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
10' Camaro SC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 5th Gen 6spd SC
Brake Performance or Granatelli Rotors?

I'm wanting to get slotted and dimpled black zinc rotors. Both look really good. Which is the better buy/quality?

Thanks
10' LS3 Camaro 2SS (blacked out) - Edelbrock Supercharger, ZL1 rims, 275/315 tires, XS Power LT headers, 3" exhaust, twin tips, Edelbrock CAI, ZL1 fuel pump/ADM FPCM, VMax ported TB, JRE fuel mod, TR6ix plugs, ZL1 spoiler/splitter/grille, KW V1 coilovers, BMR sway bars, strut tower brace, trailing arms, toe links, Prothane radius arm & subframe bushings, Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, SS brake lines, HURST short throw shifter, Scosche dash kit, Pioneer 7" radio, backup camera, Dyno - 520 rwhp/tq
10' Camaro SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE
I put drilled and slotted rotors on my 1st 5th gen camaro, a 2011 2SS/RS and did the same on my current 5th gen camaro, a 2015 2SS/RS 1LE. I bought both sets from Brake Performance. They have great products at great prices. Hope this helps.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrm20151le View Post
I put drilled and slotted rotors on my 1st 5th gen camaro, a 2011 2SS/RS and did the same on my current 5th gen camaro, a 2015 2SS/RS 1LE. I bought both sets from Brake Performance. They have great products at great prices. Hope this helps.
Thanks man, this does help!
10' LS3 Camaro 2SS (blacked out) - Edelbrock Supercharger, ZL1 rims, 275/315 tires, XS Power LT headers, 3" exhaust, twin tips, Edelbrock CAI, ZL1 fuel pump/ADM FPCM, VMax ported TB, JRE fuel mod, TR6ix plugs, ZL1 spoiler/splitter/grille, KW V1 coilovers, BMR sway bars, strut tower brace, trailing arms, toe links, Prothane radius arm & subframe bushings, Slotted rotors, Hawk pads, SS brake lines, HURST short throw shifter, Scosche dash kit, Pioneer 7" radio, backup camera, Dyno - 520 rwhp/tq
Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
NoSloSS
BUMBLWHO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:

I just checked their website and the prices are really good for the rotors. How was the performance on your car? Any issues?
NoSloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSloSS View Post
I just checked their website and the prices are really good for the rotors. How was the performance on your car? Any issues?
I would like to know this also if there's noticeable stopping distance compared to the OE SS rotors.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Rrm20151le

The stopping distance was reduced by around 20 percent. If you just get the rotors at Brake Performance and order the hawk performance brake pads in the blue box from Plaster Performance like I did, there is no brake dust on your wheels. Greatest buy / mod that I've done to my camaro.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Rrm20151le

Freaking spell correct. Phastek Performance.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
10' Camaro SC

Quote:
The stopping distance was reduced by around 20 percent. If you just get the rotors at Brake Performance and order the hawk performance brake pads in the blue box from Plaster Performance like I did, there is no brake dust on your wheels. Greatest buy / mod that I've done to my camaro.
Very nice. Any slight improvement I'll take plus look great behind the wheel. Also would probably do SS lines.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I love the Brake Performance rotors. I can't speak for how they would compare vs stock because I did the ZL1 caliper upgrade at the same time (also larger rotors), but for the complete upgrade (bigger rotors/calipers, steel brake lines, DOT4 fluid), they are MUCH better than where I was before. As a daily driver if I have to stop quickly in heavy traffic, my concern is not whether I will stop in time, but if the car behind me will too.

With as heavy as these cars are, the big brake upgrade makes this thing stop like cars 500-600 lbs lighter. And I just went with the generic "performance" pads they offered with the rotors. I can only imagine how they would do with legit track pads.

Post 62 in my build thread (link in signature) has pictures right after install.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
randy's2012

Drives: 2SS/RS, supercharged LS3
After reading the reviews here I ordered the front rotors from Brake Performance and the Hawks pads this weekend. Can't wait to get them and put them on.
randy's2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
sehovarter
HomezSS

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Camaro, 2011 Silverado
any updates on your purchases and how they are working? I have around 23K miles on my 20144 SS/RS and rears are starting to squeal even though I have a ton of pad left - am thinking drilled and slotted from Brake Performance and the Hawk Blue Box pads, daily driver with some hot laps around the neighborhood - want the looks of the rotors, no squeaks and minimal dust ! Hoping your setup is exactly that - let me know - thank you!
2014 SS/RS, FR Style 41's, 20x10x4, Borla CatBack with Touring Mufflers w/Magnaflow Glasspacks, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Diablo 91 Octane Tune, Firm Shift, AFM off, BMR cradle inserts, trailing arms and toe links, 1LE/ZL1 Rear Sway Bar, Jannetty Custom Tune for mods noted above (noticable change to how the car drives!!), JL Audio XD700/5 amp and 10 inch Sub, Focal PS 165K's, special wiring kit and amp board, and lots of dynamat (Amazon version) - Sounds GREAT, Runs Even Better!
sehovarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
You should know that this post is mussing your qute, but is directed at the general Camaro5 membership. They need to know how to separate the Internet Fiction about brakes, rotors and pads.

Instrumented 70 to Zero stopping distance for a SS Camaro put it at 160'. A 20% reduction would have the Camaro stopping in less than 130'. A Porsche 918 Spyder takes 142' in the same testing.

Braking is a function of friction. The by products of friction are heat and dust. The dust comes from the rotor and pad grinding against each other. The greater the friction, the greater the dust. You cannot have improved braking with less dust.

OEM pads and rotors are excellent combination street / light track use pads. They are among the best 'stock' brakes around. Using after market street pads will almost always reduce braking capacity resulting in longer stopping distance. If you upgrade to true track pads, the dust and squeal are brutal and rotor life cut in half as the pads will never got hot enough to soften and will eat your rotors.

If you do not track your car, slotted, dimpled, drilled etc.. are fine. If you track your car a plain face OEM rotor works well. If slotted rotors help wipe away dust and incrementally improve braking.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I do 'light' track my car and that is one of the main reasons I went with the ZL1 brake setup. I can tell you it makes a lot of dust when tracking, but the braking performance is fantastic. To be honest, that is one of the reasons I went with light gun metal powdercoat color -- to keep the 'noticeable' dust from detracting from the appearance, but, I'll live with the dust as these brakes work on the track.

If I wanted, I'd have a 'track' set of brakes/rotors/wheels, and a 'street' set if I was worried about it, but I WANT that OEM performance on the street -- to many knuckleheads out there ;o). The ZL1 setup really works. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post some pic of my wheels 'after' a track session -- you'll see what JusticePete means by 'grinding' brake/rotor together...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 10-18-2016 at 12:21 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
OEM ZL1 Brakes on Track Day

Ah, hell, here they are anyway (Hi-Rez) after one 25 minute session:

Note the metal flakes in the dust! I saw this after each session (I cleaned off the dust after each session to see what I had).

And, btw, no squeal either! I did the proper 'bedding' procedures, and never had a squeak in them, even after 6 track sessions. You'll see some 'bluing' on the rotors in the pic, we did get them hot enough to 'smell' them while racing...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 10-18-2016 at 12:50 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote