Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #155
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This is the part I don't get. I admit I am not to up on what models go to China, but are cars built here then shipped there? If so I get it, but if its only China exclusive models over there, why is Buick still here
Most Chinese-spec Buicks are built in China.

Why is Buick still here?

One word: Profit.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #156
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This is the part I don't get. I admit I am not to up on what models go to China, but are cars built here then shipped there? If so I get it, but if its only China exclusive models over there, why is Buick still here
China builds most of their Buicks. Buick is here because it still sells ok, and they also all share platforms with other GM vehicles so that keeps development costs in check. The dealer network also benefits by having both Buick and GMC under one roof.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #157
mohead1

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX
Not a Buick fan by any means, but its a cool car.....
mohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #158
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From what we've heard, I doubt the Camaro was anything other than what it is, a refinement of the Gen5. But it's possible the shape was considered. You never know.

I have been told that is how Hyundai works. First place in the design contest becomes a Hyundai while the second place design then becomes the Kia. Not sure if that is still the case as they have built brand identity now for both brands.
I had a long talk with one of the Code 130R designers when that concept came out. He did mention that design competition for the 6th gen Camaro would (at that time) start in earnest, with his studio submitting a proposal. We did talk about the elegant lines of the 70 1/2 Camaro and how nice they would translate into a modern car. The Avista, sans Buick front and rear fascias, was what my minds eye pictured as we were having that conversation.

Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #159
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
I had a long talk with one of the Code 130R designers when that concept came out. He did mention that design competition for the 6th gen Camaro would (at that time) start in earnest, with his studio submitting a proposal. We did talk about the elegant lines of the 70 1/2 Camaro and how nice they would translate into a modern car. The Avista, sans Buick front and rear fascias, was what my minds eye pictured as we were having that conversation.

I like where your head is at.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #160
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Most Chinese-spec Buicks are built in China.

Why is Buick still here?

One word: Profit.
Thanks Fen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
China builds most of their Buicks. Buick is here because it still sells ok, and they also all share platforms with other GM vehicles so that keeps development costs in check. The dealer network also benefits by having both Buick and GMC under one roof.
True, always forget about that sharing roof with GMC
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #161
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Think of it this way......

Impala base suspension. LaCrosse hi-per strut front linked h-arm rear and AWD as options. XTS hi-per strut front linked h-arm rear standard and AWD optional. Buick keeps Chevy from being better.

Cruze 1.4T top engine. Verano gets 2.0T optional and for 2016 gets the 1.6T as base. Buick keeps Chevy from being better.

Traxx has vinyl seats as the top of the line. Encore has available leather. Buick keeps Chevy from being better.

Last edited by Number 3; 01-15-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #162
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Let Chevy build it with a LT1 and call it a Chevelle SS. I would buy one.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #163
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I love the way that looks, and the fact that Buick is thinking about making one at all! However, this will not be a Camaro or even an ATS-V... nor should it be. Buick should have a powerful and relaxed version of the Camaro - no need for NA V8s or manual gearboxes (although that would always be nice). I feel the ATS and Camaro focus too much on performance for many buyers; keep most of the performance creds, but give it a touch of softness and luxury - the car can theoretically compete with a BMW 6-series or the Lexus LC500

Also, the concept doesn't have B-pillars... that most likely means it's based on the convertible Camaro chassis and will be noticeably heavier than a comparable ATS or Camaro.
crankaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #164
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
People would have picked up pitch forks and shovles if they would have made this the new Camaro design. Hell, they complain now that the gen6 car is to European. For myself, I would have been running people over to get to the dealer for one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote