Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
racingron

Drives: 2014 ss 1le
Always check to cover your a$$.

Had my oil changed at the dealership about a 1000 miles decided to check the oil in all my vehicles and to my surprise (just kidding) the oil in my 1LE was at least 3-4 quarts low. Now its at the dealership, I asked the service advisor what his game plan was and he said to top it off? I gave him a look and then he said they would drain it? I told him that it will take more than that to figure out whats going on. H ad to leave before I lost it. Will update tomorrow.
racingron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
Which dealer in AZ? and its take about 20minutes to change ur own oil and is a lot cheaper... just sayin

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Are you saying you had it changed 1000 miles ago and hadn't checked it since?

I make a habit of checking mine the next morning even if I do it myself.

Why did you leave it at the dealer? Couldn't they change it as you waited?

I think he's saying that his car just has 1000 miles on it and already used 3-4 quarts of oil... But I hear you, as I've checked ours at least 4 or five times since new so as to get a feel for whether it uses any or not. Always check it in the same place in the garage for consistent readings. I'm thinking his dealer has it to maybe determine whether it has an issue with respect to excessive oil consumption. What's not clear is whether it was topped off when purchased new and already used this much.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
answer is they failed to fill it when you had it serviced. The lube guy put 5 qts of generic oil in it, you cant lose what you never had. Just ask for them to make it right by you and move on, if they balk find a new place to go. I still don't understand the dealership thing anyways the techs aren't changing oil the lube guys are now that's scary.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
racingron

Drives: 2014 ss 1le
To answer all those replies, Is that my Camaro has 5000 miles on it and I was getting those free oil changes from the dealer. I should have checked behind them sooner haha my fault. I do believe that the dealer only put 5 qts. in instead of 8. Then I drove it for a 1000 miles after.
racingron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Which dealer in AZ? and its take about 20minutes to change ur own oil and is a lot cheaper... just sayin
this, I don't trust any one changing my oil
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Well it shouldn't have starved for oil. The reason it holds eight is mainly for cooling. So if you didn't drive it really hard you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
answer is they failed to fill it when you had it serviced. The lube guy put 5 qts of generic oil in it, you cant lose what you never had. Just ask for them to make it right by you and move on, if they balk find a new place to go. I still don't understand the dealership thing anyways the techs aren't changing oil the lube guys are now that's scary.
I don't get the love affair with the dealer either. Some of them higher two crappy techs to do the work of one good one so you pay top dollar for the same scrub you find at a tire place. I wish I could find an honest shop around her because I'm up to my ears in chit to do, but no such luck.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Check it before you start it to leave the dealership.....hasn't failed me yet.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
2014camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Same exact thing just happened to me, got oil changed three weeks ago and today ir gave me low oil level. I put 4 quarts in it and also put the car on a lift and its leaking from my filter
2014camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingron View Post
To answer all those replies, Is that my Camaro has 5000 miles on it and I was getting those free oil changes from the dealer. I should have checked behind them sooner haha my fault. I do believe that the dealer only put 5 qts. in instead of 8. Then I drove it for a 1000 miles after.

Turns out those "free" oil changes aren't such a great deal eh?

This is why I very seldom let anyone else work on my stuff... I end up having to double check every thing they did which typically takes as long as just doing the job myself. Just makes more sense to do it myself.

Unless you went road racing or drove it really hard during that 1000 miles, chances are you didn't do any harm to it
Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
IOMss11

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange metallic 2SS
If I take my oil to get changed I buy it myself and watch them drain and change filters, and put the (8) quarts if Mobil 1 oil it's supposed to run in, so no second guessing. Never mess around with that stuff
IOMss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014camaro View Post
Same exact thing just happened to me, got oil changed three weeks ago and today ir gave me low oil level. I put 4 quarts in it and also put the car on a lift and its leaking from my filter
In the OP's case, I would think that "3-4 quarts low" would have set off a light.

I think "3-4 quarts low" is an estimation, since the dipstick really only shows about 1-1.5 quarts of fluid level from the tip of the stick to the top of the hash marks. Unless it's different for you big-engine guys, but I thought most dipsticks are pretty standard.

This is one more reason I do as much of my own maintenance work as I can.

-The oil gets filled to the proper level and the correct weight and type of oil is used, EVERY TIME.

-The drain plug NEVER gets overtightened or cross-threaded.

-The filter housing or cartridge casing NEVER gets torqued on too tight.

-The tire pressure is always checked and corrected, and never over-filled.

-The washer fluid reservoir always gets filled up with washer fluid, and not tap water.

-Wheel lug nuts are uniformly hand-torqued to spec and are never over-tightened

-All other fluids get checked, never just a "meh, looks good, I'm sure everything else is fine" -type inspection.

-There's never a tech or lot attendant having a bad day moving the car around or working under the hood.

Is all this worth maybe an hour of my time, in my own garage, with good music playing, wrenching on a hot car? Abso-friggin-lutely.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
OP, stories like this are way to common. I change my own fluids, maintenance is very easy on our cars!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Changing your oil is the easiest thing to do I would always do it even if it is free. Plus you can pick the oil you use, I'm not certain, but I would guess they just use their cheapest oil which you don't want anyways.