Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2015, 03:11 AM   #1
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Thoughts on Manufacturer Buy Back?

not Camaro related, but is GM. I am looking for another car with certain hard to find features within my budget. I found a 2013 Cruze fully loaded for a awesome price a too good to be true price that had the certain features I am looking for. As I looked at the description it states "buy back." Got me curious maybe thinking it had to do with something mechanically and I would just pass. I called the Chevy dealer and he stated the car was returned at 10k miles by a couple due to a odor smell with the HVAC. Car currently has those 10k miles. The car was turned over to GM and they stated the smell was that of a new car smell and had nothing to do with the HVAC and their was no "odor". He has all documentation from GM. They offered me a 7yr 100K bumper to bumper warranty for basically no cost. I think they just want to sell it because of the "branded title." Issue is this saves me about 7k but its located 2k miles away. Would u do it since its not mechanically? Thoughts?
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Its taking a chance for sure, probably was the cabin filter if that model has one. Don't forget you will have an issue if you ever sell the car because of the branded title.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Is this a car you plan to drive for years til there's nothing left? If so it'd probably be a good buy... but if you're the type that wants a different car every couple years, you'll have trouble selling it.

I'd treat it the same as I would a salvage title car, you need to make your money on it at the time of purchase, for a salvage that means buying at 50% or so of normal value.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
If GM bought it back just for an odor and the odor is gone now, I say buy it. If it has hard to find options and a huge discount that sound too good to pass up. I wouldn't worry about resale because you are already getting a huge discount. As long as you drive it for a few years you should come out ahead. On a car like that price and condition are what matters. Camaro buyers are a bit more sensitive to those things.

The only thing that is a red flag to me it that GM supposedly bought it back for just an odor. There are people with multiple serious issues that can't get a buy back, it's hard to believe GM would buy back a car for just AC odor which is a very common thing. Maybe they just talked to the right people.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #5
GetYouOne

From what I gathered and read it would take GM or any company 10K to fight one of these cases so its better to buy back the car for 25k then 35k or to keep the customer happy. I guess it depends on ur state lemon laws. I read where people had buyers remorse and made up lies regarding the issues.

I plan to have the car for a long time. Def 5+ years. I wouldnt classify a buy back in the same category as a "salvage title."

This particular car the GM of the dealership stated that the car was brought in due to a "odor smell" from the HVAC and they couldnt resolve whatever smell the customer was complaining about and they wanted GM to buy it back. GM bought it back and documented their was no "smell" to the car and it was probably the new car smell. Now we all know how these sales people work and what not, but in order for me to even consider this I specified I need to see all documentation regarding this car from GM and a car fax report. If this had anything to do with mechanical I wouldnt even touch it. Only reason I would consider this is because of the low miles, features I want, and the 7k off price tag.

Would their be anything else to be requested?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
Chevy_cowboy

If they're being honest about why it was bought back, they should have no issue showing you the vehicle history. If they refuse to do that, they're not telling you something.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
GetYouOne

I agree. If they dont show me those 2 items no deal. I am curious to see the actual documentation from GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
If they're being honest about why it was bought back, they should have no issue showing you the vehicle history. If they refuse to do that, they're not telling you something.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #8
Chevy_cowboy

Also you probably should talk to your insurance company and find out their policy for insuring vehicles without clear title, some won't touch them, and others charge more or have other restrictions.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 AM   #9
GetYouOne

great idea never thought about that. I'll have to give them a call in the AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Also you probably should talk to your insurance company and find out their policy for insuring vehicles without clear title, some won't touch them, and others charge more or have other restrictions.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 AM   #10
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
I'm calling bullshit. If it was just the new car smell they wouldn't have bought it back just to "keep the customer happy"! People with well documnted cases of multiple fixes, (such as having water filling up the car everytime it rains because of the well known convertible top issues), have a hard time getting gm to buy it back. I would run away fast!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnuyokr View Post
I'm calling bullshit. If it was just the new car smell they wouldn't have bought it back just to "keep the customer happy"! People with well documnted cases of multiple fixes, (such as having water filling up the car everytime it rains because of the well known convertible top issues), have a hard time getting gm to buy it back. I would run away fast!
+1 I've been in that situation.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
OP, out of curiosity, is the car in CA or AZ.

I once ended up in a situation where I did not know the car was a "buy back" until 3 years later when I received the title. This was a Honda, sold at an AZ Honda dealer, originally sold and bought back in CA
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
Chevy9534

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Car maker i work for buys cars back often. Some come down to the customer is not happy with what they bought and they make all types of claims to issues of which most are not duplicated. Some cars do have issues and are bought back but the manufacturer makes us repair the car until its fixed and then they are resold. Never have seen any of those vehicles return for same issue.
Chevy9534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYouOne View Post
not Camaro related, but is GM. I am looking for another car with certain hard to find features within my budget. I found a 2013 Cruze fully loaded for a awesome price a too good to be true price that had the certain features I am looking for. As I looked at the description it states "buy back." Got me curious maybe thinking it had to do with something mechanically and I would just pass. I called the Chevy dealer and he stated the car was returned at 10k miles by a couple due to a odor smell with the HVAC. Car currently has those 10k miles. The car was turned over to GM and they stated the smell was that of a new car smell and had nothing to do with the HVAC and their was no "odor". He has all documentation from GM. They offered me a 7yr 100K bumper to bumper warranty for basically no cost. I think they just want to sell it because of the "branded title." Issue is this saves me about 7k but its located 2k miles away. Would u do it since its not mechanically? Thoughts?
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where, no matter what he tried, he couldn't get rid of the "funk" in his car after a valet had parked it. Ended up tossing the keys to a homeless guy.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote