Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
for those that have owned their cars for awhile

just about done haggling with a salesman, and I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a black 2012 1LS. before I do though, I have to ask, how do some of you feel about your cars after having owned them for awhile? what are some of the faults of the car, things you don't like, common problems and stuff like that. I know this is a camaro board, but no car is perfect, they all have their issues.
the one thing that makes me a tiny bit hesitant to purchase is, simply put, because it's GM. I switched to Japanese cars in '92 and never looked back. they've never been anything but perfect over the years. but I know GM and Ford (I still wouldn't touch a Chrysler) have come a looooong way in the last 20 years. I really like the car, but I'd be kicking myself in the head for a long time if I abandoned Japanese reliability and ended up with the stereotypical always breaks down domestic car.
I'm really interested in some honest feedback. I don't expect any car to be perfect. I've just been out of the domestic loop for so long I really don't know much about long and short term reliability, build quality and so on.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
There is a guy here on the forums with over 100K on his camaro Ls and only thing that went wrong was a Burned out Tail light. There is a Sub forum for Issues/problems i suggest u check that out as well.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
I'M over 40,000 miles and have nothing but love still for this car. Best decision I've ever made
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
There is a guy here on the forums with over 100K on his camaro Ls and only thing that went wrong was a Burned out Tail light. There is a Sub forum for Issues/problems i suggest u check that out as well.
The only issue I have had is the tail light bulbs also. Burned out in less than a month. No problem since. Long-term liveability...The rear seats get smaller each day. Even my 7 year old grandson hates being there. Other than that, and the well-known rearward visibility problems, I love the car.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
i have 41k on mine, and aside from an unexpected door ding, and a rear tail light bulb and a fog light bulb... nothing but happiness. Oh and agree on the back seat thing.. anyone that sits int he back hates it, cant blame them, and the way the windows rest if they are down wind is nothing but in their face
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
nothing but happiness with my car. granted i havent owned it but for 2-3 months and less than 1000 miles on it. But it is a great car. there are somethings that bother me about it, but not enough to make me regret the purchase. you will love owning a 5th gen without a doubt!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
The only issue I have had is the tail light bulbs also. Burned out in less than a month. No problem since. Long-term liveability...The rear seats get smaller each day. Even my 7 year old grandson hates being there. Other than that, and the well-known rearward visibility problems, I love the car.
yea, Ive read alot about both those issues and neither really bother me. I'm going to be purchasing it more as a weekend car. the backseat won't be an issue becuase anytime the family is out we'll take the 4 door altima or 4 door civic. and not using it as a daily driver I don't figure the limited visibility and blind spots will matter that much. I could see it being a concern though if I were doing a lot of rush hour driving, or driving in heavy traffic. but I'll keep using my 1.6 liter 40mpg 200sx as a daily driver. this car's going to be for fun
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
M_Knife_Shamylan
Book Learner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT, 1999 Tahoe 2Dr.
I've had it since August '11 and put around 5K miles on it so far. Still in love with it. I had the issue with my trunk coming open often when the keys were in my pocket, but that has since been resolved.

This is only my 4th vehicle so I have a limited sample size, but this is by far the best car I have ever owned. Previous vehicles were'92 Geo(dead) '96 intrepid(sold) and '99 Tahoe (sits in the driveway now).

Once I finally get this paid off and get my student loans taken care of, I am thinking about buying an SS and keeping the 2LT as well.
M_Knife_Shamylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My 2010 purchased in late 2009 has 5,230 miles on it. I still love it and it still smells like brand new.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
27k miles and the only things that have happened to the car have all been mods or additions. I drove it last year from WV to New Orleans to Las Vegas and back and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Still on the original tires, brakes, and bulbs.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Only thing I hate about my car is that I have to garage it every year....Winter storage that is..

I have mine since april 2010 and no issues. I had a seat wearing problem but the warrenty covered it.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Had mine for about three months and now have around 6500 miles on it, this car is the most comfortable car I have ever had. Luckily my daughter is small in stature and will most likely going to stay that way, she doesn't mind the back seat, she says she has all kinds of room back there. The dog on the other hand, will barf everytime she gets into it, although that barfing thing is not exclusively in my Camaro, she does it in the other car as well.
I haven't had any issues in it either although the dome light switch is inop since the day I bought it, but Chevy is working on that.
I have only had one foriegn (Jap) car that was any good, other than that all the rest that I have owned in the past were all pieces of crap. I had a 96 Saturn, NO ISSUES EVER, I have had an 02 Avalanche, NO ISSUES THAT WERE NOT COVERED UNDER WARANTY, and now also have an 04 Monte Carlo without any issues at all. I would say Chevy has really stepped up their game when it comes to reliability, I refuse to buy a foreign car.....period!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
SkullDuggery

Drives: 2011 Black LS
Got my 2011 1LS in September of 2010. Told my son it was from the future Got over 14K on the clock. Stored in the winters.
No problems at all. I'm addicted to modding it tho. Originally I choose black because I thought the steel wheels went best with black. I've since changed the rims anyway. Now I kinda wish I would've got a different color. Black looks great but it's a pain to keep nice. I don't mind washing it 2 to 3 times a week but keeping the swirl marks out of the clear is damn near impossible. Do some research on caring for a black car. Plenty of tips on this site here.
I still love the car but sometimes I wish it were a silver or red SS
SkullDuggery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
wadeh

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/M6, Silver Ice Metallic
If you like the Camaro, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

By way of background, I used to be an import snob. I had several Hondas, a Lexus, and even a Porsche 911 - all purchased new. I was very quick to criticize any domestic cars - especially GM.

Then back in 2001, I bought a Corvette. Wow. I would never have thought that GM could make something like that. Since then, I've upgraded to a 2008 Corvette and just bought a new Camaro SS to go with it. I like the newer Chevrolets better than any import that I ever had, including the 911.

I guess you could say that I was an import guy, switched to American cars, and haven't looked back.

Go for it.
wadeh is offline   Reply With Quote