Old 03-22-2024, 09:34 PM   #15
Jetrep

Drives: ZL1 1LE, bolt, scary flatbed, hhr,
Excellent news
Jetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:57 PM   #16
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
So, like many people, here, you take your car to the racetrack to give it a work out, and OnStar sends a real blistering report to your insurance company.
How you drive your car on a race track should in no way reflect how you drive on public streets…not that public driving is any of their business either.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 01:14 AM   #17
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
This is a step in the right direction but it still does not solve the fact that the OnStar transceiver is still communicating with the satellites even if you’ve never even signed up with OnStar to begin with.

They still get your vehicle dynamics information. They may not sell it anymore but they still get it no matter what they say.

The only way to truly be free of any kind of data collection is to remove the OnStar radio transceiver board.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:34 AM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
This is a step in the right direction but it still does not solve the fact that the OnStar transceiver is still communicating with the satellites even if you’ve never even signed up with OnStar to begin with.

They still get your vehicle dynamics information. They may not sell it anymore but they still get it no matter what they say.

The only way to truly be free of any kind of data collection is to remove the OnStar radio transceiver board.
At that point your phone is collecting more pertinent data than your car.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:51 AM   #19
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That’s not the point. You always talk about the phone. Stop it.

This is about General Motors. I know you used to work there so you feel like you have to defend everything the company does but please stop. There’s plenty of web forums to talk about your phone. This is about GM (and all car companies who now make their on-board satellite data communications standard equipment on every car).

OnStar (and the like) should be completely optional. If someone doesn’t want it, the entire system/hardware is not built into the car.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 03-23-2024, 08:59 AM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
That’s not the point. You always talk about the phone. Stop it.

This is about General Motors. I know you used to work there so you feel like you have to defend everything the company does but please stop. There’s plenty of web forums to talk about your phone. This is about GM (and all car companies who now make their on-board satellite data communications standard equipment on every car).

OnStar (and the like) should be completely optional. If someone doesn’t want it, the entire system/hardware is not built into the car.
💯 agree with every point.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:04 AM   #21
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
�� agree with every point.
Same here..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:10 AM   #22
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I can and do turn off my phone whenever I please. Or I just simply leave it at home when I feel like it. There is no law that says I have to have my phone with me when I driving. My phone is not attached to my hip and I don't live on social media like many do. I can survive just fine if it disappeared tomorrow. It's a little harder to do that with GM's spyware since to truly disable it I have to disassemble part of my car. It's absurd and GM knew what they were doing to make a few million dollars.

And let's not let our guard down. Just because GM was forced to do the right thing because of bad publicity, doesn't mean they won't go back to their old ways. In fact I'd be shocked if they don't come up with some other scheme to exploit our private data for financial gain.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:34 AM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
GM hasn't "done" anything...They have only SAID they -will do- something. The lawsuit needs to proceed, they need to be found liable for damages, and we ALL need to be sent written proof from GM that states they are no longer COLLECTING our data and then LN and Verisk need to send us written proof that our information has been removed from their systems.

GM claims you have to consent three different times which is total BS as ANYONE here knows that has had to chase down the Smart Driver crap and get it turned off.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:41 AM   #24
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Here an article on it that wasn't behind a paywall:

GM stops sharing driver data with brokers amid backlash

Customers, wittingly or not, had their driving data shared with insurers.

Jonathan M. Gitlin - 3/22/2024, 4:23 PM

After public outcry, General Motors has decided to stop sharing driving data from its connected cars with data brokers. Last week, news broke that customers enrolled in GM's OnStar Smart Driver app have had their data shared with LexisNexis and Verisk.

Those data brokers in turn shared the information with insurance companies, resulting in some drivers finding it much harder or more expensive to obtain insurance. To make matters much worse, customers allege they never signed up for OnStar Smart Driver in the first place, claiming the choice was made for them by salespeople during the car-buying process.

Now, in what feels like an all-too-rare win for privacy in the 21st century, that data-sharing deal is no more.

"As of March 20th, OnStar Smart Driver customer data is no longer being shared with LexisNexis or Verisk. Customer trust is a priority for us, and we are actively evaluating our privacy processes and policies," GM told us in a statement.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03...amid-backlash/
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 10:01 AM   #25
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

Hint:

OnStar doesn't talk to satellites. It is and always has been cellular-based.

Most GM cars before ~2011 can't even connect anymore. The 3G cellular band on which those older OnStar modules communicated on was decommissioned.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #26
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Hint:

OnStar doesn't talk to satellites. It is and always has been cellular-based.

Most GM cars before ~2011 can't even connect anymore. The 3G cellular band on which those older OnStar modules communicated on was decommissioned.
That’s good to know. As soon as it’s a nice day I’ll be removing my OnStar transceiver board. It’s just such a pain in the kazoo for me to crawl under the dash to work. Not looking forward to it.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 03-23-2024, 10:18 AM   #27
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
The OnStar module has a radio board on it that connects to cell services, it is receive only from the satellites. The wifi signal in your car is part of the radio/entertainment system and separate from the OnStar module.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 01:06 PM   #28
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
I just want to thank the Camaro 6 community for literally being YEARS ahead of this "breaking news" of OnStar spying on us and sharing the data with insurance companies to raise our rates.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote