Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #29
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
Didn't MT state the most recent "limping around the track" caused by bad fuel? Something about the previous people who used it filled up with Chevron fuel 89 octane.

It mentions GM giving an excuse that the car had mixed grade (93 and 91) that confused the fuel tables (which I agree sounds like BS). It also had brake pads were apparently shot which sounds like someone had already been tracking this car. Another screw up on GM's part like the alignment issues back in the MT head2head with the GT-R.

So in summary a ZO6 with 8 degrees of spark retard and worn out brakes still manages a 1:38 at LS and the replacement car did not arrive in time for another lap.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #30
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
Didn't MT state the most recent "limping around the track" caused by bad fuel? Something about the previous people who used it filled up with Chevron fuel 89 octane.
"Bad fuel" was the excuse GM gave. MT didn't buy that and neither do I (it's possible, but not probable).

Here's the first section of the article: "It didn't work. The damn Z06 retarded spark by 8 degrees, and the 1.7-liter TVS supercharger refused to make boost. No one knows why. Chevrolet came up with a "bad gas" theory, but Big Nasty got filled at the same Chevron stations as everyone else and even swallowed 8 gallons of 101 octane in an attempt to get the supercharger to wake up. No luck. What we have here is a failure to compete. What a pity."
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #31
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Surprised they couldnt get a replacement z quick enough to do the testing
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #32
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
they explained that it was an issue with the tapping of the oil filter threads (when they actually cut the threads in to the block) the cleaning process was not as thorough as it should have been, leaving metal flakes in the oil that caused the issue. Sounds totally reasonable from a manufacturing standpoint, if a huge issue from a QC standpoint.
And a huge issue from a PR standpoint, as well.
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #33
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Surprised they couldnt get a replacement z quick enough to do the testing
Johan de Nysschen saw on social media that they were testing a manual ATS-V so he had an auto ATS-V there the next day since its faster.

https://youtu.be/ydpSlGiiq1g
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #34
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Doesn't bother me, that's what warranties are for.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #35
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
It didn't bother me before because chevy is king, BUT I'm really starting to hesitate. Get it together GM
Old 10-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #36
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
This isn't the first time MT had a problem with the Corvette, it's the forth time.

(copied from corvette forum):

Keeping count, this is actually the 4th time that Motor Trend has had a negative report on the Z06.

1. Randy Pobst overheated the Z06 on Road Atlanta.
2. The Nissan GT-R beat the Z06 at Willow Springs. Got a bad write-up about handling. Found to be bad alignment, another car was sent later and re-tested, which did better.
3. Carlos Lagos overheated the Z06 doing timed figure-8 laps.
4. This DNF Laguna Seca article.

I think MT at this point thinks it's a big thing that Z06s keep failing.
The article also stated that the Z06, even with its problems at the road course, outperformed most of the other cars. Go figure.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #37
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Most recently the Z06 had major engine related issues during Motor Trend's Best Driver's car comparison. A 2014 Stingray blew an engine during Car and Driver's lightning lap. And C&Ds long term 2014 Stingray blew an engine.

What's going on here?!?

I'm a little bit concerned that the LT1/4 are not as reliable/durable as the LS3. I never recall magazines having any engine related issues with the LS3, but seems to be a trend with the LT engines. I'm hoping they get these issues sorted out quickly!
Also include in your list the new A8 transmission, reliability is SO-SO, depending on your luck, severe overheating and dangerous shifting.
From what I can see the late Camaros (1LE, ZL1 & z28) & C6 Corvettes (including Z06 & ZR1) are more dependable.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #38
Wareaglea5

Drives: Gmc sierra
It makes me wonder how different these cars are compared to the original design that obviously saw a tremendous amount of testing before production. I know cost cutting used to happen during year two according to people in the know, but I wonder if it's happening right away now and if all the testing we hear about is just marketing.
We've all seen the videos and pictures of GM working these camouflaged test mules and preproduction cars around race tracks, they want us to see this, and we get excited. From a performance aspect GM knows only a small % will actually be driven hard so I wouldn't be surprised if there was major cost cutting happening during the manufacturing process and parts costs. I hope this does hurt vette sales so GM doesn't take us for granted, not all of us are willing to buy a car that's going to be spending time in the service department.
Wareaglea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #39
Wareaglea5

Drives: Gmc sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Also include in your list the new A8 transmission, reliability is SO-SO, depending on your luck, severe overheating and dangerous shifting.
From what I can see the late Camaros (1LE, ZL1 & z28) & C6 Corvettes (including Z06 & ZR1) are more dependable.
I brought up the 8speed here before and I couldn't believe there are people here who could defend it. It's been having problems in every single type of vehicle they put it in.
Wareaglea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #40
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
GM seems to be having QC problems across the board. 8spd trans issues, Z06 durability and cooling issues, LT durability issues, vibration issues with the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban, etc, ineffective ventilated seats according to many, and on and on. Read the truck and Corvette boards and it's clear that there are too many unhappy customers.

Good luck to the early adopters of the new Camaro, but I'll be waiting at least a year. GM clearly has some systemic quality issues.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #41
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'm happy to take my chances on this N/a LT1, with extra cooling pretty much everywhere. This engine has been around the block a few times now in performance vehicles, and also in very similar applications in trucks and SUVs. You can't tell me GM hasn't learned something during that time and hasn't been improving this engine in some way over the last few years. If not, I'd be shocked.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #42
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Corvette show

I was just at a national corvette show this august and the talk amongst owners are they are not happy with the LT1, Most want there LS motors back. The feeling is Chevy stayed with the LS motor so long it was rock solid but when the emissions cert ran out, they hastily put the LT 1 as replacement and did not do enough development time. True or not once the fan base begins to doubt, you have problems. And articles like the MT one is not going to help.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote