Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #71
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I'm the original owner of a 04 LS1, M6. 100,700 miles and it loses no oil between changes done every 4,000 with Mobil 1. I take the RPMs past 3500 regularly and never had skip shift engage so my rings may have sealed better due to driving style.

I have a catch can on the ZL1 but not the LS1 GTO. The LS1 has never been apart.
I put my car to the floor when I left the dealer. My catch can never had more than a half quart after 5k miles on my 2010. You miss the window your rings won't seat as well.

To be fair. The pcv design issues and oil consumption is well documented in the ls1 community. The rings had nothing to do with it. I had the problem on my 98. Some didn't. But it was pretty common.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #72
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I put my car to the floor when I left the dealer. My catch can never had more than a half quart after 5k miles on my 2010. You miss the window your rings won't seat as well.

To be fair. The pcv design issues and oil consumption is well documented in the ls1 community. The rings had nothing to do with it. I had the problem on my 98. Some didn't. But it was pretty common.
I guess I was lucky and got a good one and didn't realize they had problem. It's amazed me actually that the engine hasn't needed anything.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #73
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I guess I was lucky and got a good one and didn't realize they had problem. It's amazed me actually that the engine hasn't needed anything.
Besides the pcv thing and a couple less common issues the lsx is rock solid in my experiences and readings. The timing chain tensioner on my ls3 fell apart...this is documented as well. Not as common as the pcv thing but it happens. I don't like the new design tensioner.
Sure other stuff happens but not on a large scale.

I've done h/c on my ls1 and ls3 and beat the piss out of them and put on many hard miles. Hell I even did the h/c swap on my ls1 at 80k miles and never batted an eye. I've never had even one major problem or failure. The timing chain could have been ugly though on my 2010 if I wouldn't have caught it/done my cam swap. Boom.

Take off your air intake and open your throttle body on your ls1. Look inside. That's the true test. If you don't see oil you got a good one. Get a flashlight to look up into the manifold as well if you want to be positive. I would be surprised if your getting none at all. It was a big issue. The design just didn't work and pulled oil into the intake manifold through the pcv system. It's possible you losing a small amount and have never noticed it. But some lost unacceptable amounts for sure. I remember guys posting pics for days on ls1 tech of oil inside their intake manifolds.

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 05-22-2015 at 09:27 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #74
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
Yes, I used to like the old pushrod 302 Mustang. Forgot what model year it was, but used to race them with my '98 Camaro SS, way back when. They used to put out a lot of power for a smaller displacement engine compared to mine. BTW, what year did Ford switch from 5.0 to 4.8 on their Mustangs?
That was sometime back in the late 90's, but I'm not sure. The mustang v8 back in the day was a 289 (4.7L). It was the counterpart to GM's small block 283. In '68 Ford increased it up to 302 (pretty much 5.0). They had several iterations of that displacement including the Boss 302, then were the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland. Can't remember which came first. The Ford big block came in '67 with the 390 engine. The original GT500 had a big block. The GT350 was originally a small block.

My dad had two different '66's. One with a 200CID straight six and auto, and the other was a 289 3 speed, so I liked the Fords. But my uncle was a GM salesman, so we had a bunch of GM cars over the years too.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #75
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Hi Guys,
I'm very interested on getting the new '16 SS that I consider that is a great achievement for GM along the superb Stingray. But I worried after I read on C&D that when they tried the Stingray w/. the new LT1 engine, it failed them twice in two different corvettes while doing their lighting lap test & then while doing their long-term test, even their LT1 engines had to be replaced. Do you know if by this time GM has solved this new engine issue?
Also read on the Stingray forums that there were some problems with their new A8 automatic transmissions. Also I will like to know if those issues also have been corrected by GM?
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #76
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm very interested on getting the new '16 SS that I consider that is a great achievement for GM along the superb Stingray. But I worried after I read on C&D that when they tried the Stingray w/. the new LT1 engine, it failed them twice in two different corvettes while doing their lighting lap test & then while doing their long-term test, even their LT1 engines had to be replaced. Do you know if by this time GM has solved this new engine issue?
Also read on the Stingray forums that there were some problems with their new A8 automatic transmissions. Also I will like to know if those issues also have been corrected by GM?
GM said the initial malfunctions in the LT1 were caused by the oil filter containing metal filings during manufacturing. Make of that what you will, but it stopped happening right after that. I think they had two catastrophically fail, but I can't remember if one of them was the LT4.

I've not heard anything about the A8, but I'm not over on the Corvette sites much. The first year the Corvette came out, it had an A6 transmission, perhaps the issues were with that. They just went to the A8.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #77
scott53

Drives: '19 Camaro 2SS, '12 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Don't get me wrong I like low end torque. But I loved how my ls1 and ls3 were top end screamers when I did h/c on them.

I've heard some people talking it feels flat up top but the graphs would seem to disagree.

What's your take on top end pull between ls3 and lt1?

I've had my LT1 up to 125 mph and it pulled the whole time and was still pulling when I let off. I think you will be pleased.
scott53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #78
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Man.. the ohv vs ohc "discuss" sure is hilarious. Really enjoyed the "crush it" part! Lol
Old 05-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #79
JeffInDFW
Camaro owner for 29 years

Drives: 96 Viper GTS/09 Sky Redline/95 Z28
"If the europeans do it, it must be better".

But, the ONLY reason the europeans and japanese went into OHC engines was because their GOVERNMENTS FORCED THEM TO. As stated earlier, there are taxes and outright limits on displacement, so to get power they were FORCED to either go with OHC 4 valve heads or turbos. An OHC engine weighs more, has more complexity, more parts to fail, is physically larger, more expensive to produce. Use Google, I'm tired of posting links to prove this to people. Do a timing chain job on a Chevy V8, and then go do one on a 4.0 Nissan V6 like I did last year. Holy Mother THAT sucked. I will ALWAYS go with a pushrod V8 over a OHC V8 if I am able.

Open your mind and go search for real -facts- yourself.

Pushrod engine guys need to start saying, "Yea, we make the same power as you do, and we only use 2 valve heads! That proves our engine is superior!". That is just as stupid as "Our engine is smaller and we make the same power". Your smaller engine added 4 valve heads as its power adder, that allowed it to match the HP number by revving higher (HP is nothing but math using torque x rpm). But it gave up a lot to do this. Ugh, I've got to just go find where I've taken the time to detail all of this out before with linked examples to prove each point. I need to SAVE that post on my desktop so I can just copy paste. I'm getting too old to keep doing this.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #80
Obsessed 17

Drives: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post

That and the new top end of the LT1 was designed to be FI friendly.
I'm late to this thread, but can you clarify? I'm not super knowledgeable about engines but I see the weak point of the LT1 being the pistons. Guessing max flywheel will be in the 700's if we're lucky.
Obsessed 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #81
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
If the LT1 is direct injection, what is the L99/LS3 considered?
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #82
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
LS3 vs New LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNYSTR View Post
If the LT1 is direct injection, what is the L99/LS3 considered?
Port injection
Wheel Team 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #83
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
It is important to note that only the A8 is listed as having AFM. The M6 is not.
The A8 and M6 are not actually the LT1 though. The Corvette has AFM in both manual [M7] and automatic transmissions.

So one of the differences between the LS3 and LT1 is that the LT1 has AFM.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #84
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Read the whole thread..wow crazy ...thanks for the information..