Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #29
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3litzkrieg View Post
by the way , i LOVE 4th gen , more than the new camaro , im just geting it cuz is new and bears the name camaro , i love the fact the fbody plataform its so unstable you lose the control in every corner i love it!!!!! its quite fun

Quite frankly, just my opinion, but this post is awful.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
What? No not you MerF...I think that post has about 3 different topics all meshed together...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I have owned two third gens and a fourth gen. I've noticed that typically little stupid things go wrong with these cars that will irk the hell out of you, but in general they won't have any catastrophic failures unless you beat the snot out of them all the time and don't maintain them just like any car. The only serious problem I had with any of these cars is the transmission going out twice in my '89 Formula(the first one went in the mountains in PA at 112k, and the 2nd one went because I had it installed, then beat it to death without the recommended 500 mile adjustment by the people who installed it.). As far as the 5th gen goes, you can't really base reliability on history. This is a completely new car on a completely new chassis. The basic chassis for the previous car lasted from 1982 to 2002 with only minor changes. That does say something. It says that the basic design WORKED. Hopefully the 2009-20?? design works as well. There is 25 years of automotive design and technological advancements since the basic F-body was last released, and 15 years since any major redesign has been made to the F-body platform. The Zeta(I will still call the Camaro version of it an F-body) platform is a completely new setup with years of research invested into it. Also remember, this platform is not just for the Camaro. It is for a number of cars, which is all the more reason to ensure it's reliability before it is released. I think we will be impressed with the new Camaro in that department, but like always, preventive maintenance will help you just as much as a good design will.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #32
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
What? No not you MerF...I think that post has about 3 different topics all meshed together...
Huh? I was simply referring to the post that I quoted being ridiculous.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham

Oh, I just didn't understand it...
Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
I have owned two third gens and a fourth gen. I've noticed that typically little stupid things go wrong with these cars that will irk the hell out of you, but in general they won't have any catastrophic failures unless you beat the snot out of them all the time and don't maintain them just like any car. The only serious problem I had with any of these cars is the transmission going out twice in my '89 Formula(the first one went in the mountains in PA at 112k, and the 2nd one went because I had it installed, then beat it to death without the recommended 500 mile adjustment by the people who installed it.). As far as the 5th gen goes, you can't really base reliability on history. This is a completely new car on a completely new chassis. The basic chassis for the previous car lasted from 1982 to 2002 with only minor changes. That does say something. It says that the basic design WORKED. Hopefully the 2009-20?? design works as well. There is 25 years of automotive design and technological advancements since the basic F-body was last released, and 15 years since any major redesign has been made to the F-body platform. The Zeta(I will still call the Camaro version of it an F-body) platform is a completely new setup with years of research invested into it. Also remember, this platform is not just for the Camaro. It is for a number of cars, which is all the more reason to ensure it's reliability before it is released. I think we will be impressed with the new Camaro in that department, but like always, preventive maintenance will help you just as much as a good design will.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 AM   #35
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

It's funny. In the army we have Peventive Maintenance Checks and Services(PMCS). Basically it is a list of things, outlined in a Technical Manual(TM). That you need to check before, during, and after operation, as well as weekly and monthly. Every step is outlined in this manual on what to look for, and what makes the equipment(it's not just for vehicles) non-mission capable(we call it deadlined). If they made up something like this for the everyday civilian automobile it would save a lot of grief for consumers. The auto repair industry would lose some money due to a drop in small repairs due to negligence, but they would be able to increase volume on big(meaning more costly) jobs. and the automakers would have better overall reliability statistics to brag about. Basically everybody wins other than the shyster garages who tell you your fufulator valve is stuck wide open or your tire cylinders are worn out, or charge you to refill your blinker fluid.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I imagine that there's a whole lot that the civilian world can learn from the military. But at the same time, our lives generally don't depend on keeping our vehicles maintained so it gets ignored, even if there were a fully detailed manual dictating what needs to be done when.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #37
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

True. But it wouldn't hurt for the automakers to include it with a new car.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #38
Mr. Wyndham

No it wouldn't. I was talking to a buddy of mine, and we agree, that EVERYBODY should be able to show a basic understanding of cars (not just driving), before they issue a license.

An easy example would be this, what's wrong with your car if the brake pedal pulses a little different than it ever has before?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #39
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No it wouldn't. I was talking to a buddy of mine, and we agree, that EVERYBODY should be able to show a basic understanding of cars (not just driving), before they issue a license.

An easy example would be this, what's wrong with your car if the brake pedal pulses a little different than it ever has before?
Ok, I'm willing to give everyone a little laugh if I'm wrong. LOL I admit I know very little about how the car actually works.

This could be 2 possible things I suppose.

First, it's your anti-locks engaging. You feel the brake pedal pulsing as well as a bit of a grinding noise.

But also, in my 1995 Cavalier the brake pedal pulsed badly (at about 50,000 miles) and even the steering wheel wobbled a little. If I remember correctly it was that the brake rotors were warped. That was a different 'pulse' from the anti-locks though.

Like I said, I don't really know about cars like that so don't attack me too bad if I'm WAY off the mark. LOL

EllwynX = Clueless haha
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #40
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
both answers would be acceptable. Warped rotors would probably be the best answer. I've driven plenty of friend's cars with that problem.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #41
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
both answers would be acceptable. Warped rotors would probably be the best answer. I've driven plenty of friend's cars with that problem.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham

yeah, that's the answer I expected. EllwynX, I'm not making fun of you at all, but you were hesitant to answer rotors. Your average driver doesn't even know what a rotor IS...So they'd most likely think, like EllwynX initially did: ABS, and would come to the conclusion: not to worry about it.

I just think that that sort of thing is what we need to eliminate; if your brakes pulse wildly, there's probably something wrong with your car.