Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #43
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
So what you're telling me is that for 20+ years, you have not taken very good care of your cars, because you don't think they are worth taking very good care of. Sure it's normal to fix stuff. That doesn't mean an ounce of prevention is not always worth a pound of cure. Please don't start with the "I fix cars and stuff" blather. I'm not going to be impressed; been there done that, taken crankshafts out on Sunday chnaged bearings that night drove the car to work Monday, wiring harness to the parts store to match a connector, cut cars in half for parts blah. Blah Blah, 100s of examples so what? Big deal, I fix stuff too. No medals on my chest for it.

You use crummy "20 dollar" car covers, and that's good enough for you. Good for you. Other people take better care of their crap....because it matters to them. To you, not so much. I know plenty of car guys with that outlook. You're welcome to it. Ruin anything you want, so long as it's yours, but don't tell me that your way is "right" or "best" or even "acceptable" to anyone else, just because you choose a level of neglect I don't like to use.

And the 'smart guy" thing. Cool beans. I guess that means I should cry or something. Maybe later.

Glad you have a good coat of paint. That's something to be proud of.
Amen my car brother
Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #44
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I found this on another thread, seems like something I would get.
http://www.carbag.com/

I called 1800# this morning, seeing if company was still around, thinking a message machine would pick up being that it's Sunday.
John, inventor for this bag, picked up the phone call, long story short this is for indoor use only. Visit above site if interested send me PM.
He said he would do a group buy discount, we didn't talk numbers yet.
Camaro would use the M2 (bag size). Cost 249.00$, so it would be below that amount.
Later
Bob
bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #45
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
I just put a heavy towel to catch all the drips from garage door. Bubble's??? It's a Camaro, not a Lambo!
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #46
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
The dust gets right through a car cover, so the bubble is more effective. Yes, I have $200 car covers too and don't use them much, too much risk pulling them on and off all the time. In the winter I use 2 car covers, a cheap one on top of an expensive one. I don't own any bike covers, I just throw sheets over my bikes.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #47
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
To all you that say my Camaro condom is overkill....well...at least mine is bigger than yours!

But seriously...who cares. Its my car and I'll do what I want. No it's not for everyday use. For you southern folks that don't know what winter can bring, the car sits in the garage for 4-5 months, so why not protect it the best I can. No rats, dust, tire rot from sitting on cold concrete, hell...not even dings. (Watch the videos online of a guy throwing a bowling ball at it and bounce right off)

Yes, there is a fan than runs constantly. It's basically a large 12v computer type fan with a filter.

I do however like what one friend suggested. Put in on the front yard with some artificial snow flakes in it and call it a big winter snow globe.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
What the hell? if don't have any to say, well then, copy and paste someone else.
Please do not quote the spam, it only makes for more posts that we have to delete. Ones like this I call 'sneaky spam' because it looks like a normal post to most people, unlike the ones for passports or iPads or whatever that are blatantly obvious spam.

Tips for spotting a sneaky spammer:
  • Very few posts (typically 4 or less)
  • Posts are a copy/paste of an earlier post
  • Random assortment of letters for a name
  • Tend to have a foreign country under location
  • Usually drive Fords or BMWs
Report posts like that & we'll deal with it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #49
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfic View Post
I found this on another thread, seems like something I would get.
http://www.carbag.com/

I called 1800# this morning, seeing if company was still around, thinking a message machine would pick up being that it's Sunday.
John, inventor for this bag, picked up the phone call, long story short this is for indoor use only. Visit above site if interested send me PM.
He said he would do a group buy discount, we didn't talk numbers yet.
Camaro would use the M2 (bag size). Cost 249.00$, so it would be below that amount.
Later
Bob
I might be interested in one for my GTO. It only gets driven about twice a year. Thanks for the link let me know about the group buy.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #50
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Tajefe
Cool... figure.. let a week go by and let's see if anyone else is interested. I recently picked up Camaro, my dilemma I need to share garage with my wife vehicle, so needless to say, her car will be driven each day Camaro will be in same room with salt and snow,, bleeding from rocker panels. John owner of this company basically claims, dampness and moisture will not be exposed in bag once secured.
bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #51
Tajefe Couple

My problem I guess is good and most car people would like to have my garage/shop that is 60'x40'. We also park our better dd's in it and I work on all my projects(cars, house projects, woodwork and so on) in there. I think the doors are open more than closed winter excluded. So its constantly got vehicles in and out of it and is a pain to keep clean. I do live in the Kansas sandhills yes we have hills. It's also very windy since there's no landscape except the sand that blast from the hills to block the wind. The annual climate ranges from 5 bellow to 110 degrees throughout the year and I have pictures of 6' drifts blocking my garage door.
Combine all that and tell me if you had something of value and could protect it even a little better for around what I paid for good covers why not?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #52
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Screw the haters! Back when I owned a Miata I always used to hear how it was a "girl's car." That never did make sense, but I didn't care; it was the car I wanted and liked. That's their problem, not mine!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #53
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajefe View Post
At some point all classics started as new cars. Some people chose to take better care of them than others. Some people choose to drive the hell out of them and send them down the road. Hmmm wonder which cars will be worth money in time? You think it will be the guy whom took the time to store, clean, service it, and took better care of it? Or do you think the car that had the piss drove out it is the one that will even be around for anyone to enjoy eventually. So please don't take care of your stuff. I prefer it since it will just make those that cared for ours more valuable.
A normal Gen 5 Camaro SS will never be worth anything, ever, other than a good time to drive while the car is still relevant and new. If you have a Copo, fine, maybe that'll be worth something if you're willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to store the thing over decades for a return that would get trounced by an S&P 500 index fund that didn't take up garage space for decades, so be it.

Who "doesn't take care of their stuff?" Certainly not me. The guy with his car in an inflatable bubble in his garage isn't taking care of his stuff. He wasted $35,000 on a paperweight. These cars are made to be driven and you take care of them by driving them and keeping them moving, not letting them sit, collect dust, have the volatile fluids slowly eat away the internal hoses while they sit for months, wear flat spots in the tires and depreciate just as rapidly, all for nothing.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:44 AM   #54
Tajefe Couple

I've know people to have your attitude before. Bet your fridge smells like moldy cheese too.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #55
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Yes, I am a troll because I'm pointing out that one of America's most mass-produced cars is not a long term value investment. This is why so many people can't afford to retire. You buy the car, then buy modifications to void the warranty on the car, then you rent storage locations and buy protective shrouds to protect the car you've spent money on to decrease its rate of devaluation. Why not just drive the car you paid for instead of paying extra to devalue a car you won't drive? I don't get it.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #56
Tajefe Couple

LMAO I guess should just leave my money in my 401k. Oh wait that lost $4500k in the last month and for the second time in my life I set back and watch my money disappear. My parents are planning on working into their 70's due to the last market crash and loosing a lifetime of retirement. Perhaps you heard of it was called a rescission. So I don't think cars are why my parents can't afford to rerire yet. Maybe you should be my adviser since you know how futures are going. Hell for that matter you should call some brokers on wall street you seem more knowledgeable than them.
On second thought I'll hang on to my money and cars. If you have both you kind of want to take care of it all. Or maybe since I've worked so hard for it in life I want to take care of it. It seems you would be happier with $1.99 gas than a good market index.
So please don't mind me if I don't take your advice and enjoy some of my money the way I want.
BTW if you troll long enough you will see I want the cover for my one owner never modded GTO that sits in my 40x60' shop/garage. I guess this will never be worth anything either since they made like 1600 world wide in my Brazin Orange? Wait I decided no advice from people who are clueless but still have an opinion so that's a rhetorical question. I will continue to enjoy some of my hard work in the form of collecting, trading, and enjoying anything with an engine along with investing in markets that just crash. I work for it and it's mine to spend how I want thanks anyway!