Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
dklowrider

Drives: 2012 1SS, 6spd. many mods 478 rwhp
Yeah, how do we know that oil in the op's pic really came out of a catch can. He probably works for a catch can company. Don't fall for this trick.
Just because I get oil out of my Ls3's can doesn't mean it actually works.
Er, no, wait a minute. Now I'm confused.
dklowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
We have logged just about 450,000 non-direct injected miles on our last three cars ('93 Z/28, '01 WS6, and the current '13 1LE) and have not had one engine related issue. All three of these cars were / are driven hard. Lets add the 230,000 miles on my wifes '01 Tahoe that we just parted with. Again, no engine related issues. Did the Z, the WS6 and the Tahoe have reduced power when we got rid of them compared to when they were new....yes sir, but they all had 200,000 plus hard miles on them. I am a firm believer that a catch can is just about as important to a non-direct-injected engine as a big pink stripe down the hood is, but if you like pink stripes, go for it!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
5,541 miles and got this much snake oil! CC or bottoms up, your choice...
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
5,541 miles and got this much snake oil! CC or bottoms up, your choice...
Yea, I'm getting about an ounce of oil in the CC every 1000 miles. If that is an 8 ounce glass you have there, you are seeing about the same . . . and I don't want it in the intake. Admittedly, I would expect the amount would go down over time as the engine gets more broken in (only 3500 miles on my car).As someone else said, I get where it is debatable whether the oil hurts anything. But, unless someone wants to make the case that the oil is actually good for the engine, I'm keeping it out!
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrento84 View Post
Just installed a billet custom oil catch can. Clocked about 2,000 miles and drained it today. Holy crap, much more than I was expecting, probably 2 or 3 oz.

It started when I was faintly smelling oil on the way home from the dealer, first thinking it was someone else's car, then thinking it was a sloppy oil change, and finally researching what the heck it could be. Oil catch can is highly recommended, couldn't imagine burning that amount of oil through the intake. No more oil smell either.
I'm not getting a catch can unless I start smelling oil. Just joking. Couple weeks ago I was changing the air filter so I pulled the air intake tube off the TB and looked thru the TB into the intake. Just as clean as it was 20K miles ago.

Off topic question. In that second pic, what is that hole in the rear of the stock air box? I don't remember mine having that.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #20
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the catch cans are basically "oil condensers". That oil is in droplet/vapor form and the catch can is basically a big pressure drop, which cools the air, and condenses the oil.

I tend to think it's not a big deal to let that vapor stream go into the intake on the V8 engines. The majority of it will just burn and never condense... and since it's not a DI engine the fuel keeps things clean for whatever oil there is.

So just because you catching oil, that doesn't mean you prevented some huge oil buildup problem. On the DI engines, yea maybe... but not the V8 engines.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #21
MPrento84

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
"Off topic question. In that second pic, what is that hole in the rear of the stock air box? I don't remember mine having that."

Not sure, it's not actually a hole either. Maybe it is stub that you can hook a hose up to extend into the cabin so you can actually hear the otherwise silent intake. Or it could be an attachment point to hook up a leaf blower
MPrento84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 AM   #22
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the catch cans are basically "oil condensers". That oil is in droplet/vapor form and the catch can is basically a big pressure drop, which cools the air, and condenses the oil.

I tend to think it's not a big deal to let that vapor stream go into the intake on the V8 engines. The majority of it will just burn and never condense... and since it's not a DI engine the fuel keeps things clean for whatever oil there is.

So just because you catching oil, that doesn't mean you prevented some huge oil buildup problem. On the DI engines, yea maybe... but not the V8 engines.
^^ This +1
CAE intake, Borla Type S exhaust, TSP LT headers, stage 2 CMS cam tuned by Ryne, MGW short shifter, Carbon fiber Anvil trunk spoiler, Havoc rear diffuser with carbon fiber insert, GM GFX side skirts, ACS T4 front lip spoiler, 20" MRR 228 Gloss Black Wheels wrapped in Nitto INVO rubber, carbon fiber radio fin, Wilpak black rear window louvers.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #23
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
Here is my question-without a catch can-will the motor seize up,blow up, lose power fail completely burn oil?
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #24
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyD View Post
Here is my question-without a catch can-will the motor seize up,blow up, lose power fail completely burn oil?
No. Over time, it will gunk up the intake system. None of the poo-pooers on catch cans have disagreed with this fact.

Think of it like brake dust. Brake dust build up a little at a time is no big deal. But when you don't periodically clean it off, over time, it could build up and potentially cause harm to your wheel balance and plain isn't attractive.

But yet I'm betting some of the poo-pooers go to GREAT lengths to keep the brake dust off their wheels, yet don't understand why the people that want to keep their cars clean inside and out wish to run a catch can. Their reasoning escapes me. They've probably spent at least as much as what a good catch can cost on brake dust repelling waxes, etc. or even some other "mod" that isn't required. I haven't bought into all the "magic bullets" people purchase for brake dust. I just wash with soap and water often, and brake dust is all gone.

Is a catch can REQUIRED? NO.

If you don't run a catch can, over time will oil build up inside the intake system? YES.

Can excess oil cause problems? Over time, perhaps. Maybe not for a while, though. Or even as long as you own the car. Just like eating only 5 cheeseburgers won't clog arteries. But 5 cheeseburgers per day for 25 years probably wouldn't be good for you.

Is the intake system where oil should normally be? NO. So, IMO, it should not be there. Catch can reduces that. Key point is to keep the can emptied periodically. If you don't do that, you'll definitely find out when it is too full.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #25
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
thanks for the answer guy,thats about what I thought about it.DO not have a catch can...yet with 7000 miles.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #26
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Walking on the Wild Side here---None on mine either
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #27
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Just cant imagine, if they are as important as those are saying, GM has not addressed the issue... even in some kind of way.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #28
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
Yeah, how do we know that oil in the op's pic really came out of a catch can. He probably works for a catch can company. Don't fall for this trick.
Just because I get oil out of my Ls3's can doesn't mean it actually works.
Er, no, wait a minute. Now I'm confused.
I can guarantee you that catch cans can be a good thing, but not really a bad thing as long as they aren't the cheap china products or installed incorrectly.

Friends GMC Acadia had idling problems and ran like crap, took off the air cleaner and it was completely full of oil. You think pouring oil into your throttle body isn't harmful?
Of course the car must have a huge blowby problem for that much oil to get into, such as a bad PCV valve, but having a catch can would've prevented the problem from getting so bad in the first place.

Call it a scam if you want but anyone running forced induction, direct injection, or high performance at all should invest in a catch can unless they plan on getting rid of the car to scam some sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Just cant imagine, if they are as important as those are saying, GM has not addressed the issue... even in some kind of way.
They are important for the long run, and not just for GM vehicles. GM and other manufacturers don't have them on stock cars because of the cost and the inconvenience of telling customers they need to make sure the catch can is emptied/checked on a regular basis. (although GM does have a clean side separator on the 1LE, proving that they know there's an issue there)
Besides, if the problem doesn't occur for a good 100,000 miles (like I said long term) then why would GM care? They don't want you to have problems during your warranty, afterwards they want your business in parts sales.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote