Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Reversed Key FOB Recall

Like many other Camaro owners I had the KEY FOB RECALL reversed on my key set.

Bought the new car over Christmas at a dealer 200 miles away; the FOB Recall removing the blades from the FOB had already been done (only 2 cars matching what I wanted for color and options in a several state area - so was not picky about the keys knowing I could restore them later).

Yesterday, stopped in to my local dealer with 2 new blade blanks ... and at my request they reversed the recall - cutting new blades and installed them in the FOBs.
The local dealer did this for FREE - and were very helpful and fast. Got to keep the separate keys; now I have 4 keys to the car.
The Service Rep also walked out to the car to make sure the new blades worked in the door and ignition (very long way to the car since I parked on outer edge away from others to avoid door dings ;-)
With the manual transmission my seat is kept far back for working the clutch; knee is no where near the FOB so it is not a safety issue for me.

Here is a picture of results showing two restored FOBs and two extra separate keys to use as backups:

The Trace feature on the machine that copies the key is not always accurate. Best to use the Key Code from tag or sticker on original FOB or original Invoice or dealer can look it up using VIN.
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Roasstum1
EbonyCamaro

Drives: Black SS 14
?

I thought this was a must!! Is that legal for a dealership to reverse the recall or has gm changed there minds? I'd like to have my fob back to original. Didn't want the recall but wouldn't let me drive off the lot without the recall complete??
Roasstum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
fpdsniper

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Does the recall affect the 2011 model? I'm curious because I just both mine on New Years Eve from a Chevy dealer, and got two fobs with switchblade keys. You'd think that they would have not given me those, right? A bit confused on this right now. I like my switchblades!
fpdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
Where did you get the blanks? I want the switchblades back!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post
Where did you get the blanks? I want the switchblades back!
you know you can do it your self right? i did for the cost of a loctite gel glue. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...89#post8073289
Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
USMCSSGT-RET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
you know you can do it your self right? i did for the cost of a loctite gel glue. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...89#post8073289
Thanks! Might have to do this tomorrow. I still need another key since I got two key fobs but only one key when I bought my car a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
USMCSSGT-RET

Does anyone know if this blank will work with my existing key fob? http://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption-...A1BVLNYYEQXY2X

I'm going to cut out the one key I have and install it back into the fob using the instructions provided by Jalberdi99. But I need another key as the dealer only had one, but did give me two key fobs.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
ron123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbillings View Post
I thought this was a must!! Is that legal for a dealership to reverse the recall or has gm changed there minds? I'd like to have my fob back to original. Didn't want the recall but wouldn't let me drive off the lot without the recall complete??
I bought the car at a dealer 200 miles away (20% off msrp Chevy 2014 year-end special deal plus another 3% in various discounts), it was delivered to me with the recall already done and registered in the Chevrolet DB for my new car's record showing the recall has been completed. This meets all recall requirements. And pulling up various reports shows recall is done (I double-checked two different sources).

I had the REVERSAL done by handing a local dealer key blanks and no paperwork was done. No billing. No record in computer.

I still have the separate recall keys and they are fully intact ... will be used if I ever return to a dealer or need back-up keys. The reversal was done at my own risk ... technically the service department would not even need to know what car the switchblade FOB belongs to - it could be for a Chevy Cruze for example (they can use the trace feature on the key cutter machine to cut the key blade blank without knowing the car model).
It was done for free.

As mentioned, in my case, the car has a manual transmission and I drive around with the seat way back for working the clutch, my knee never comes close to the FOB so not a safety issue.
Ron
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
ron123

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post
Does anyone know if this blank will work with my existing key fob? http://www.amazon.com/KeylessOption-...A1BVLNYYEQXY2X

I'm going to cut out the one key I have and install it back into the fob using the instructions provided by Jalberdi99. But I need another key as the dealer only had one, but did give me two key fobs.

Thanks!
Followed the URL for blade you show, look the same, however they messed up dimensions, listed inches ...
Price is high, almost double what I paid for the blades. For one dollar more:
2 blades via yourkeylessremote on ebay was $9.95 with shipping included. And doing that allowed me to keep both separate keys from the recall as spares. Maybe you can also get them cut for free?
Ron
Old 01-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
USMCSSGT-RET

I ended up buying a blank with roll pin from a forum member for $10 shipped.

And I cut my recall key apart and reinstalled it into the key fob so I have my switchblade back. I'll have to get the new blank cut when it comes in the mail next week...hopefully Chevy doesn't try to charge me too much. If so, I'll have to call around to find a locksmith who can do it for a decent price.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #11
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbillings View Post
lol you got taken advantage of. They can't MAKE you do a recall that isn't mandatory. I would have told them to go to hell.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #12
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Can blanks be cut by any key cutter (such as in a hardware store), or do they take special equipment that is not so common?

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #13
slow72

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 BVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Followed the URL for blade you show, look the same, however they messed up dimensions, listed inches ...
Price is high, almost double what I paid for the blades. For one dollar more:
2 blades via yourkeylessremote on ebay was $9.95 with shipping included. And doing that allowed me to keep both separate keys from the recall as spares. Maybe you can also get them cut for free?
Ron
Thanks! Just ordered two blanks from that seller. They were $9.95, but shipping to Canada is always retarded, so ended up paying $23 US with shipping.
slow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #14
Silver2014

Drives: Silver 2014 camaro v6
I'm going to try to switch mine back today. Thanks for the info.
Silver2014 is offline   Reply With Quote