Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #43
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
See my previous comment but the camaro as a snow rig made me laugh. I did a test with my 2012 explorer and 13 2lt. The explorer in the "4×4" broke loose earlier or easier than the v6 tank aka camaro
Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #44
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
The best advice of all is to know your own limits, know the limits of the vehicle and stay home if it's too dicey. Why? Because no matter what tires you buy, or how well you drive, you cannot control other people.

Three inches of snow in Michigan is almost considered normal, while three inches in Georgia is a disaster with wrecks all over the road. That is proof that the greatest danger of all is the guy behind you.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #45
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
Snow tires if you live in an area with constant snow cover or good all-seasons if you only see sporadic bouts. Give yourself plenty of room to maneuver, start and stop. No sudden changes in throttle, braking or steering. Point your wheels the direction you want to go if you lose the rear. Be aware not only of what you are doing but also what the drivers around you are doing. Always try to stay moving on an incline. Even 1 or 2 mph may keep you from sinking in and getting stuck.
This^ that pretty much sums it up.

I drove RWD since I was 16 in Chicago winters. never used snow tires or weight in the trunk and never got stuck once. (drove a friends car that had snow tires and didn't notice enough of a difference to warrant the cost, maybe they were cheap ones, or maybe they have just gotten that much better since 2004 lol) My mustangs had factory all season tires. The best advice is what LOBBS said that I have bolded.

If you are getting an excessive amount of snow say in the 6+ inch range then I would say find someone with a better vehicle for a ride lol.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #46
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
You have got to be kidding me! It is a muscle car. Not a 4x4 snow monster. Most people that live in a snow-ridden area do not walk onto a dealer lot and say to the salesman, "Gee, it's going to be a nasty winter again...where are the Corvettes and Camaros? I need a good snow rig.". If you do, you're a mental defective. Common sense would tell you that this vehicle is not going to be worth a lick in the snow as it sits. How in the world is it GM's fault that many people have about as much common sense as a push mower? Geesh... By your logic, every car manufacturer building a performance car should supply the dealers with winter tires in the case that some goofball wants to use it as a snow rig. Chevy (Camaro/Corvette), Ford (Mustang), Dodge (Charger/Challenger), Nissan (370Z/GTR), Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., etc., etc..

"Snow rig"?
Well, my camaro is quite good ins now. You don't have to believe it or like it, but it is the truth. I know how to drive it in snow. Yayy, me.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #47
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me! It is a muscle car. Not a 4x4 snow monster. Most people that live in a snow-ridden area do not walk onto a dealer lot and say to the salesman, "Gee, it's going to be a nasty winter again...where are the Corvettes and Camaros? I need a good snow rig.". If you do, you're a mental defective. Common sense would tell you that this vehicle is not going to be worth a lick in the snow as it sits.
Camaros are perfectly fine winter cars. They were intended by the manufacturer to be driven in the winter; all you need is a set of winter tires.

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #48
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Just dont do it, I understand its your DD but try if you can and get some cheap form of transportation that you can drive in the snow. Im fortunate that my Camaro is not my DD, I would just hate to have to drive it in the sonw, you can be very careful when driving in the snow but its the other idoits than can run into you that would concern me.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #49
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
OP - Just take it slow. I drove a '02 Silverado 2WD through the snow for several winters without a bit of weight in the rear. Heck, I even drove an '80 Z/28 6sp in the snow while I was stationed in Newport, Rhode Island. It sat so low that I felt like I was helping the Plow trucks out by carving them a path.

The Camaro will be fine... Just keep your guard up and stay alert to the other idiots out there.

As far as tires, no real recommendations. I have run Goodyear and BFG All Seasons for most of my cars and Trucks without any issues.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #50
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
I just moved to Columbus 10 days ago from VA and picked up my Camaro 2 days after that so I have no previous experience driving in snow or driving a RWD car. Just trying to be safe... Thanks for all the advice I am getting a shovel asap.
I would recommend finding a big empty lot, one without a lot of poles, and get some practice sliding the car around. This will get you familiar with what the car can and cannot do, and more importantly what you can and cannot do.

All we are really talking about is driving a RWD car in the snow. In all of my years, I have never really noticed a big difference between FWD and RWD. I have driven a 98Z28, and 96 LT4 Vette, and a '06 Cadillac STS in the stuff.

But get some all seasons at least. They will give you better traction, but the real reason is that, between the cold temps and spinning, you will find yourself needing to replace the PZero's every spring.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #51
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
You have got to be kidding me! It is a muscle car. Not a 4x4 snow monster. Most people that live in a snow-ridden area do not walk onto a dealer lot and say to the salesman, "Gee, it's going to be a nasty winter again...where are the Corvettes and Camaros? I need a good snow rig.". If you do, you're a mental defective. Common sense would tell you that this vehicle is not going to be worth a lick in the snow as it sits. How in the world is it GM's fault that many people have about as much common sense as a push mower? Geesh... By your logic, every car manufacturer building a performance car should supply the dealers with winter tires in the case that some goofball wants to use it as a snow rig. Chevy (Camaro/Corvette), Ford (Mustang), Dodge (Charger/Challenger), Nissan (370Z/GTR), Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., etc., etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
"Snow rig"?
Well, my camaro is quite good ins now. You don't have to believe it or like it, but it is the truth. I know how to drive it in snow. Yayy, me.
I know a little bit about snow driving too. I've lived my entire life in PA. 10"-12" in one night is nothing out of the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Camaros are perfectly fine winter cars. They were intended by the manufacturer to be driven in the winter; all you need is a set of winter tires.
You guys don't understand what I'm saying. Can they be driven in the snow? Sure. Is it the best option when buying a vehicle? No. Anytime you want to challenge me in 12" of snow, I'll use my wife's Grand Cherokee, you use your Camaro with your Blizzaks, Scorpions or whatever else you choose. I'll win. I'm not arguing, I'm simply saying there are better options when you live in the heart of "snow country". Last year, we got over 12" of snow 3-4 times. If all I had was my Camaro, I would've missed several weeks of work while things were getting cleaned up. As it sits, I have my Cruze for light snow and the Jeep GC for the heavy stuff.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #52
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
You don't know you're alive till you hit a patch of black ice, spin across 2 lanes, flip over a snow bank and land driver side up between 2 trees. Then crawl out with nothing but a dent in your head from a stupid slide- in cassette player. Ah the 80's.

This car will do you fine, just wear the correct tires and respect the conditions.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #53
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
I know a little bit about snow driving too. I've lived my entire life in PA. 10"-12" in one night is nothing out of the norm.

You guys don't understand what I'm saying. Can they be driven in the snow? Sure. Is it the best option when buying a vehicle? No. Anytime you want to challenge me in 12" of snow, I'll use my wife's Grand Cherokee, you use your Camaro with your Blizzaks, Scorpions or whatever else you choose. I'll win. I'm not arguing, I'm simply saying there are better options when you live in the heart of "snow country". Last year, we got over 12" of snow 3-4 times. If all I had was my Camaro, I would've missed several weeks of work while things were getting cleaned up. As it sits, I have my Cruze for light snow and the Jeep GC for the heavy stuff.

LOL! I think we did know what you said. Maybe you don't know how it came across. What you said previously was, quote (this is just the one post, broken down):

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me! It is a muscle car. Not a 4x4 snow monster.
Nobody said it was a "4x4 snow monster"

Quote:
Most people that live in a snow-ridden area do not walk onto a dealer lot and say to the salesman, "Gee, it's going to be a nasty winter again...where are the Corvettes and Camaros? I need a good snow rig.".
Nobody said that most folks did that. I don't see where anybody said they do that at all.

Quote:
If you do, you're a mental defective.
Well then thank goodness nobody advocated that, but you're sure freely throwing around names just in case anybody does.

Quote:
Common sense would tell you that this vehicle is not going to be worth a lick in the snow as it sits.
Not worth a lick of good in the snow as it sits? All we do is put on snow tires- the thing they did back in 1967 when Camaros came out. And those cars were much worse in snow. Light. Bad tires, even snow tires. No traction control. No ABS. Usually no disc brakes.

Quote:
How in the world is it GM's fault that many people have about as much common sense as a push mower? Geesh... By your logic, every car manufacturer building a performance car should supply the dealers with winter tires in the case that some goofball wants to use it as a snow rig. Chevy (Camaro/Corvette), Ford (Mustang), Dodge (Charger/Challenger), Nissan (370Z/GTR), Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., etc., etc..
Nobody said it was a "good" "snow rig". But you are putting a Camaro in the same ballpark as a Ferrari??

You are too aggressively over-stating your case in the above quotes, by far, if you want me to feel that all you said was "a Camaro is not the best option" or "there are better options" in that quote. You say that you posted that in the message we quoted, but you actually didn't.

What you DID say was that common sense dictated the car was no good in snow.

There will be conditions in which any car- your wife's famous Jeep included- will fail to be safe or effective vehicle. Those conditions are rare enough to be discounted from general discussion, agreed?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #54
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonbrador View Post
You don't know you're alive till you hit a patch of black ice, spin across 2 lanes, flip over a snow bank and land driver side up between 2 trees. Then crawl out with nothing but a dent in your head from a stupid slide- in cassette player. Ah the 80's.

This car will do you fine, just wear the correct tires and respect the conditions.
Crazy! A friend of mine rolled her brand new Mustang (Yes, I'll confess: I have friends who drive Mustangs!) in the snow... the only damaged sustained to the car was a scratch in the paint on the roof as the upside- down car sledded over a barbed- wire fence that was mostly under five feet of snow. Turned the car back over, pulled it onto the road, refilled fluids, and drove it home.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #55
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
I love comments by people who think you shouldn't buy a Camaro as a DD if you live in a snowy climate. Sorry we can't all afford a car for summer, a car for snow, a car for rain, a car for windy days, a car for days under 50% humidity, a truck, and a few SUVs. We're not all made of money, and I don't think that should deny us the right to drive a fun car. It's a Camaro, not a Lambo, not a Ferrari, etc. It's a low priced moderately powered sports car, not a super car or a hyper car (unless you have a Z28). It's highly unlikely that my 2014 Camaro SS is going to be some super fantastic classic car in 50 years, so why not drive it in the winter? With the right tires, it no different than driving an Impala, or a Cruze, or any other mid sized car out there. And of course you'll win in a snow test with a Camaro vs. a Jeep. But the Jeep will beat pretty much anything, so stop comparing apples to space ships. Stupid.

I drove last winter with the Pzeros on my SS in the worst winter in Detroit history and it was the dumbest idea ever. I worked from home... a lot. I now have Blizzak LM-32's all the way around on my stock 20 inch wheels and am traversing snow without a lick of problem. The car is better in the snow than any car I've ever owned except for the Grand Cherokee which I already stated isn't a fair comparison anyway.

As for weight in the back, the car has a pretty even weight distribution (50/50 I'm told), so I don't feel that there's any need for weight in the trunk. But salt and a shovel is a good idea.

Take some practice drives late at night to get a feel for the car.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #56
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
LOL! I think we did know what you said. Maybe you don't know how it came across. What you said previously was, quote (this is just the one post, broken down):

Nobody said it was a "4x4 snow monster"

So, in 12"+ of snow what are you going to do if it is your only vehicle?

Nobody said that most folks did that. I don't see where anybody said they do that at all.

They must. There are many people that sacrifice reliable, winter travel for a RWD muscle car for the sake of looking cool.

Well then thank goodness nobody advocated that, but you're sure freely throwing around names just in case anybody does.

I called nobody names. Calling somebody a complete and utter moron would be calling names. I did not.

Not worth a lick of good in the snow as it sits? All we do is put on snow tires- the thing they did back in 1967 when Camaros came out. And those cars were much worse in snow. Light. Bad tires, even snow tires. No traction control. No ABS. Usually no disc brakes.

Yes. Not worth a lick as it sits. You need (at least) winter tires for it. And even then, a good, hard 10"-12" of snow will stop it in its tracks (no ground clearance).

Nobody said it was a "good" "snow rig". But you are putting a Camaro in the same ballpark as a Ferrari??

I never stated it was in the same league. I simply mentioned companies that built muscle/sports cars.

You are too aggressively over-stating your case in the above quotes, by far, if you want me to feel that all you said was "a Camaro is not the best option" or "there are better options" in that quote. You say that you posted that in the message we quoted, but you actually didn't.

What you DID say was that common sense dictated the car was no good in snow.

There will be conditions in which any car- your wife's famous Jeep included- will fail to be safe or effective vehicle. Those conditions are rare enough to be discounted from general discussion, agreed?
My wife's famous Jeep? LOL! Man, you're a trip. Where did you get that? I just stated that it will do things in the snow my Camaro could only dream of. A 4x4 HEMI powered Jeep vs. a lowered Camaro in 12" of snow. You pick. I'm not here to argue. I just know that with the kind of snow we get around here, if I did DD my Camaro, I would be stuck at home for days in the winter. Carry on Camaro faithful.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote