Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #113
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
That’s very handy, thanks….

Wow, 4000 cal per day, I can’t imagine! You were successful in bulking up by the sounds of it.

Right now I am at 900-1100 cal per day as I am cutting after a summer of no cardio and mostly weights. When stressed out I tend to go hard on the weights and that's how it was this summer.

But I just flipped my routine so that its now predominantly cardio and less weights. I started distance running last week at 5 am every morning and will do weights 3-5 times per week. I find it very challenging because I am more of a sprinter than a distance runner. But regardless, I will do this for the next month or two then probably switch it up again.

With the new routine I think I’m going to keep protein high, try for at least 100g per day. That is very hard to do on low calories, it means no red meat….lots of Greek yogurt, egg white protein, and turkey (which I am not that fond of). My carbs are low, 50-60g per day, and I will probably dip down to steady ketogenic sometime later this year when I can get used to the low energy....it takes a good month to adjust to ketogenic but i find the results can be very substantial.

This, of course, is quite different from your own goals, which sounds like you are more focused on body building and bulking up...however i am sure you also find the challenges are the same when it comes to the intricate balance of diet versus fitness routine....which can be a very tricky one.
50-60g of carbs a day?!?! Man....my 1st breakfast has about 90g of carbs alone, and I eat that by 6:30am! Hahaha.

Ya, the bulking thing is no joke...I know people love to eat, but I sometimes had to force myself to get to 4000cals a day. But it was successful, and I'm still working at it. I started to cut a little bit once I hit about 156lbs, but I made it down to 151 and decided I wanted to be bigger, so I'm bulking again. But this time, I'm sticking to about 2900cals a day, 55 fat, 400 carbs, 200 protein. I won't gain as fast, but I won't gain as much fat either. That, in combination with hitting the weights hard 5 days a week with very little cardio should work. My goal is 165lbs, then cut to a solid 155 or so.

I eat similar things as you....greek yogurt, hard boiled egg whites, chicken breast, rice....a lot of skim milk. A lot of peanut butter and almonds too, although they're heavy in fat (the good kind, but fat nonetheless).

Good luck with your goals!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #114
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Well as I gradually increase my activity level again I am learning a few things about old bodies. One is the first thing that goes for me apparently is the lung capacity. I sure get winded easily. Then It is easy for me to cramp up. Never happened when I was in my old routine. I got in about 30 min of walk/sprint/fast walk but had to cut my last spring short & walk it out. I had noticed earlier that my right calf was a little bit sore but no biggie. The lap before that it started hurting a little so I stopped a few seconds & stretched it then walked some more before trying another sprint. I walked it out some more then headed on in as it just kept getting tighter. It is okay now. I did some more stretching & then a few floor exercises & it eases up. I hope it does not tighten up tonight.

Mike plans to go by the gym & pay my fees tomorrow. I will take my gym clothes with me to work & change at work but will have to come by the house to get my gym entry key fob. I don't really have a plan for tomorrow except to orient myself to all the equipment & try things out to make sure I know how to use everything. All their machines looked really new/fancy. I will do some working out though. I searched for some HIIT routines today & saved them to Pinterest to use at home or there. (I can print them). I will also have to reacquaint myself with the free weights as it has been many years since I have used anything other than just dumb bells.

Driver weight loss & shape-up mod getting back on track!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #115
RubyCamaro
Jan

Good morning. I got up & did some exercises this morning & had me eggs w/onions & green pepper. Now coffee time. I forgot to post. I got on my scales & the good news is I stopped gaining weight. The bad news is I have not lost any either. No change in muscle/fat/water either. So adding a good exercise routine & watching what I eat even better should show good results.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #116
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Ruby, if you can, get with the staff at the gym you are using. They can show you how to use the equipment more efficiently. As far as the free weights, take some time to get to know some ways to use them. You will see huge results with adding free weights. They are something I don't do enough of, and will be trying to add more of as the running season winds down here up north. With free weights the important thing is to do the lifting the right way. How much weight and reps won't get you to where you want to be if you don't do the lift right and may cause injuries. Try some treadmill workouts. I got started 6 years ago when I found out I was diabetic and had high cholesterol. I had a goal of 1 mile at a 6 mph/ 10 min per mile pace. Got to it and kept slowly pushing myself. It was getting boring until a fellow worker told me I should try a 5K race. So I signed up for the biggest one in Iowa! My thinking was my time would be masked by more runners lol! I have now made it my personal goal to win my age group. I got as close as second a couple years back with a 20:04 5K. It's a tough row to hoe as work schedule gets in the way as it did this year. I am now just getting back to some sort of a schedule and really have to stick to it. My biggest problem over the years is when winter hits up here and my routine starts to suffer. I tend to have to lose the same 15 lbs. every spring. So that is my goal this year. Enough ranting about that, go out and have fun and get in a routine. You will soon find your body craving the workout. Sounds goofy but, both the daughter and I swear it's the truth!! Later,
Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #117
RubyCamaro
Jan

After I finished my coffee, I found I was still way ahead of time to get ready so I headed out for some run/walk time. The same left calf started tightening up on me so i just did about 20 min then did some jumping jacks & high knee running in place before heading in for a little stretching & rubbing that calf & a hot bath. My 10:00 has cancelled so about to do some hall walking.

Edit: Okay so I walked at a good clip with my weighted balls doing alternate bicept curls for about 10 min then came back to my office & did some more upper body stuff with my weighted balls & anfew squats. I don't want to over do it with heading to the gym this evening.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 09-02-2014 at 10:45 AM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #118
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
First thing we need to do is correct your self talk....stop telling yourself I am limited because of XYZ....stop saying things like...."I have weak knees"...instead replace that with "through my hard work my knees are getting stronger everyday"...But FYI Monique is an in home physical therapist for the elderly. So if you have questions about past injuries and how weight training will affect them, just ask her.

2nd I understand about the C section....Monique had one when she had the twins 11 years ago....same as you describe. And, again, I'll never lie to you......there can probably be some improvements made but the loose skin will have to be surgically removed. That's really the only "bad spot" on Monique...combined with the weight loss and the c section....she has pooches. Next year she plans to have a mini tummy tuck to get rid of a lot of it. You have low back pain because you have a muscular imbalance and a weak low back. You can do endless numbers of crunches? What about 45 degree back raises?

Monique often times thanks me so much for "changing her life". I didn't change her life....I just gave her the roadmap. She's the one that chose to properly eat and hydrate, she's the one that got up at 4:30 am to sprint and went back at night to do weights, she's the one that charted her workouts and constantly pushed and tried to improve.

That's what we will do for you. We will give you the roadmap....it will be up to you to choose which path to go down.

Probably a Sunday would be the best and I am thinking after football season starts. Gym is the least crowded on Sunday's and even more so after football season starts. And the Sunday that would work best for me would be October 12th.....6 weeks out....give you time to plan and commit, give Monique time to plan for the kids, and I will be on my way to AK so it's on the way.

If that works for you, go sign on the dotted line, and start immediately (meaning right after you join) and we will see you soon

I know of no reason at this point that this date would not work. You said you wanted me to sign on the dotted line first (hopefully that gets accomplished today) but I did not want you to think I was ignoring the date & offer.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #119
RubyCamaro
Jan

Well gym start-up got delayed due to hubby's job keeping him hopping until late in the day. Ten when healed a lady answered & told him she was with a client & he would have to wait if he came then. Then storms rolled in & they don't have office staff after 5:00. He will go there first today. So I had another day of home workout. I'm up early again today for some exercises.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #120
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
4 mile run and 140 S/U's. Protein shake and some coffee to get moving today!! Run happy everyone.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #121
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET View Post
50-60g of carbs a day?!?! Man....my 1st breakfast has about 90g of carbs alone, and I eat that by 6:30am! Hahaha.
I know, that’s funny.

Yours is a good problem to have, I think. I would eat lots of peanut butter mixed with chocolate cream cheese…steaks, hamburger. Yum. But easier said than done right, to get that right amount of fat and muscle.

With my current routine I find I am dropping weight pretty rapidly, faster than I anticipated, so I may increase the daily carbs slightly – so that they’re as high as what you probably have in a snack before your snack….

I love the insight into a man’s diet and routine by the way, I’ve always admired men for their strength training capabilities…it is something awesome and quite truly an art form. Women just can not compare that way. Like you I work biceps and back on the same day…I really love chin ups for that. But my big thing is working legs. I suppose you are big on a leg routine? Interestingly, I don’t see the guys at the gym doing much leg work, when it should be a priority since it primes the body for all other strength training.
GL with your goals.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #122
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
I know, that’s funny.

Yours is a good problem to have, I think. I would eat lots of peanut butter mixed with chocolate cream cheese…steaks, hamburger. Yum. But easier said than done right, to get that right amount of fat and muscle.

With my current routine I find I am dropping weight pretty rapidly, faster than I anticipated, so I may increase the daily carbs slightly – so that they’re as high as what you probably have in a snack before your snack….

I love the insight into a man’s diet and routine by the way, I’ve always admired men for their strength training capabilities…it is something awesome and quite truly an art form. Women just can not compare that way. Like you I work biceps and back on the same day…I really love chin ups for that. But my big thing is working legs. I suppose you are big on a leg routine? Interestingly, I don’t see the guys at the gym doing much leg work, when it should be a priority since it primes the body for all other strength training.
GL with your goals.
You realize that there is one woman on this board that is stronger than 95% of the male population right?

And my forevermate ain't too shabby either....

All about how you train and what you want.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #123
AWSME SS

Drives: 2015 Cummins
A nice big bucket of chocolate ice cream after a jog is always nice. J/k.....some of us have to exercise and starve to stay thin.
AWSME SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #124
RubyCamaro
Jan

Okay the gym membership is done & I will head over there right after work today!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #125
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay the gym membership is done & I will head over there right after work today!
Awesome! Good job!

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #126
USMCSSGT-RET

Drives: '14 SIM 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Good for you!!!! Enjoy!!!!