Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-23-2024, 03:27 PM   #1
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Since it is so dead around here lets talk about:

I thought I would ask members here what their thoughts are on these 5th gen ZL1's becoming a car to get since GM is not making any more supercharged camaro's any longer. I have read a bunch of articles that say the 5th gen is probably going to be the most sought after camaro because it looks close to the 1st gen cars. Also read an article that says the 5th gen is easy to modify to get more HP than the 6th gen which I think we here know that already. The dealer where I buy from had a 6th gen ZL1 there and he let me drive it. I was thinking about trading mine in but after I drove it I was not impressed enough to pay the money to trade so I just passed on it. It seems like it is smaller inside than my car. I just did not like it. I just wonder say in five years what these 5th gen ZL1's will be worth and will they be worth more than the 6th gen?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 07:31 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
For our sake let’s hope that the values keep going up. I get very bored with cars that i modify and have little work left on them. I’ve been looking at corvettes, Maserati, and jaguar f types. I usually sell and move on. But i might have to keep the zl1 just because of the things you said.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:31 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The 6th gens have their fan base. I'm just not in it. They have some nice little extras that are more convenience than performance.

The 5th gen is a great looking car. After the ones that are driven into the ground are cut up for parts or sent to the crusher, more and more of the low-mile cars will be sought out and the bidding will start. But IMO, this is only if the EV movement doesn't catch fire. So far it seems to be sputtering a bit, but if the kinks get worked out, who knows? There will ALWAYS be someone who appreciates the 5th gen. ALWAYS. But will the market dwindle leaving them practically worthless? Or will they be an afterthought? Time will tell.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 05:17 AM   #4
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
My cup is half empty. Will the discontinued parts for this car make it practically worthless and should I move it while it's still worth something? I was thoroughly enjoying this car till the mag ride issue, now it's lost it's luster. It's time to replace my truck and though I have always driven Chevy's I don't even want to give GM my money over this parts issue.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:31 AM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Yes I'm on my way to moving on. I don't want to take my car to the dealer to be abused for any potential future repairs. Mag ride has me slightly worried.
Mostly I'm getting older and there are less opportunities to open the throttle safely with the traffic and police density where I live.
I still think the 5th and ZL1 is the pinnacle of the Camaro's. As I go further into retirement the car does also. It sits in the garage and I haven't put many miles on it since I got it years ago.
I know how people feel about EV's. I tried to open some eyes as my opinion got changed with a post on joyriding one free to FAFO for themselves. I was wrong thinking many people aren't stuck in the mud with their brains. The instant quick and stealth of the EV with ok handling and regen braking assist makes it a very fun and efficient town car! I had to switch off the extra power "Acceleration Boost" because I found myself speeding too much, damn easy to do with those fast silent motors. If you live in a place you can't plug in at night, and or go long drives over a few hundred miles in the cold they aren't for you. If you have Supercharging stations and mostly can plug in at your house they are a wise option. Look at the near 0 maintenance and batteries last as long as you'll own the car unless they fail and that is mostly under the 8yr 120k mi warranty with Tesla. Meh, call me a fanboi if you like. I'd say if you haven't test driven one you don't know what you're talking about. Yeah they look like a hottub if that's your showstopper, I'm too old to care that much. The ZL1 is amazing but I'm getting too old to continue with it where it's worth having.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621594

Edit: I don't like to deal with maintenance and dealers. No small thing is buying a car from these shady people. The ongoing story of the guy in the military reserving a hellcat 170 demon? and getting screwed by the Dodge dealer on it is a good reminder of how torturous the buying experience is with them looking to F' you every way the can as soon as you walk in. Extended this extra that protection this... The Tesla buying and even paying is all done online then picking up the car is as easy as when you get your car after a service appointment from the dealer. You don't get F'd or hassled on anything and right out the door.

Last edited by silversleeper; 01-24-2024 at 11:25 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:09 AM   #6
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
I bought a 24 jeep grand Cherokee 4xE hybrid I’ve owned it since last June and only put 7 tanks of gas in it. It’s a really nice jeep. I traded in my 18 jeep grand Cherokee. It was worth it just for the EV gas savings. Like silver said it’s great to travel around town in just electric mode.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:20 AM   #7
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Yes, well, I have not seen much interest in these cars. Parts are already an issue. I bought an extra set of mag rides for the rear but of course you have to scavenge for the fronts. I'm just leaving it stock and using it as one of my DD's since the tax and insurance burden is low due to the age. Have a RE that makes big power so the 5th gen is not in that realm. When I get tired of climbing in and out and listening to the little squeaks and rattles I will look for something else I think. Right now there is nothing that appeals to me on a bang for the buck basis that I can use as a daily driver. Guess the Darkhorse or a similar Mustang variant would be OK but it's a little pricey for a DD considering it's just another mid 12's type car. Not crazy about the 6th gen looks but have thought about it. Also recognize parts will quickly become an issue as well. Just nothing on the market very compelling at the moment that's inspiring me to act.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:44 PM   #8
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post
Yes, well, I have not seen much interest in these cars. Parts are already an issue. I bought an extra set of mag rides for the rear but of course you have to scavenge for the fronts. I'm just leaving it stock and using it as one of my DD's since the tax and insurance burden is low due to the age. Have a RE that makes big power so the 5th gen is not in that realm. When I get tired of climbing in and out and listening to the little squeaks and rattles I will look for something else I think. Right now there is nothing that appeals to me on a bang for the buck basis that I can use as a daily driver. Guess the Darkhorse or a similar Mustang variant would be OK but it's a little pricey for a DD considering it's just another mid 12's type car. Not crazy about the 6th gen looks but have thought about it. Also recognize parts will quickly become an issue as well. Just nothing on the market very compelling at the moment that's inspiring me to act.
Very good answer. I agree with you completely. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:47 PM   #9
Triple5even813
Learner of things

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 coupe, black
My thoughts are they'll become tougher to sell and get a decent price for in the future. But not because of parts issues. I believe there are plenty of companies that will step in to fill the void left by GM not supporting the car with parts. My car hasn't had mag-ride shocks in at least 5 years and I couldn't care less.

I believe that what will kill the high performance car market is the government @#$%ing with companies that provide tuning software and emissions related stuff, and those companies buckling from the slightest amount of pressure or flexing from regulatory alphabet agencies. I think it'll eventually come to the point where you can't even register one of these things for use on the road, and you won't be able to get insurance for it either.
2013 M6. Cammed, straight piped, 17# boost, E85. Tuned by CHenry Motorsports. 825rwhp @ 6450, 812 rwtq @ 3500. Stock unported blower, stock heads, stock bottom end, stock throttle body. Boost only, no meth, no nitrous
Triple5even813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:48 PM   #10
MIZL1

Drives: Just a few!
I bought my 12 ZL1 Brand New really enjoy driving it and has only 10k on the odometer. It shares driving time with a 19 & 23 Hellcat RE Challengers. Dodge makes a rocket ship, larger more comfortable car but you can’t carve the corners like the ZL1. My Gen 5 is a great driving experience they WILL be very collectible IMO. I’ll keep the ZL1 forever leave it to the kids, thinking their values will start go up especially the M6 cars. There’s no connection to the “Car” EV that is like a Supercharged V8 Stick even if it’s slower in a straight line.
MIZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:24 PM   #11
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple5even813 View Post
My thoughts are they'll become tougher to sell and get a decent price for in the future. But not because of parts issues. I believe there are plenty of companies that will step in to fill the void left by GM not supporting the car with parts. My car hasn't had mag-ride shocks in at least 5 years and I couldn't care less.

I believe that what will kill the high performance car market is the government @#$%ing with companies that provide tuning software and emissions related stuff, and those companies buckling from the slightest amount of pressure or flexing from regulatory alphabet agencies. I think it'll eventually come to the point where you can't even register one of these things for use on the road, and you won't be able to get insurance for it either.
Not going to argue with anyone since I am the OP but your last part of your post about not being able to get insurance or register these cars I do not think it will ever come to be that bad. If it does there will be a lot of pissed off people. Thanks for your input about this.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:18 AM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm going to throw this in there as well:

If certain things develop this coming fall, then over the next few years people will be flush with more cash to spend on frivilous things like 5th gen ZL1s.

If things develop differently, the next few years people will be broke as a joke and your ZL1 you HOPED would be worth something one day, probably won't be, and quite possibly regulated to a museum piece. It really is all about the Benjamins.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:11 PM   #13
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
I'm going to throw this in there as well:

If certain things develop this coming fall, then over the next few years people will be flush with more cash to spend on frivilous things like 5th gen ZL1s.

If things develop differently, the next few years people will be broke as a joke and your ZL1 you HOPED would be worth something one day, probably won't be, and quite possibly regulated to a museum piece. It really is all about the Benjamins.
I guess you have not been watching Barrett Jackson that has been on tv the last few days. My god the prices people are paying for vehicles is just mind blowing! There is plenty of money out there and where these people are getting it is beyond me. Each year that I watch the auction I say the vehicles just will not ever bring more than what someone just bought it for then dang the next year they bring more and more. There has to be a stopping point somewhere. But where? The newer model stuff is bringing pretty good money with the hellcats doing the best redeyes bring damn good money and of course the Demon 170 breaks the bank. The camaro's are not doing that good and it concerns me. But I did not buy mine to worry much about that. I hope though maybe in 10 more years they will. I really do think someday we will see these ZL1's bring really good money but at my age I probably will not be here to find out since I am older than dirt!
Old 01-26-2024, 08:44 PM   #14
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I guess you have not been watching Barrett Jackson that has been on tv the last few days. My god the prices people are paying for vehicles is just mind blowing! There is plenty of money out there and where these people are getting it is beyond me. Each year that I watch the auction I say the vehicles just will not ever bring more than what someone just bought it for then dang the next year they bring more and more. There has to be a stopping point somewhere. But where? The newer model stuff is bringing pretty good money with the hellcats doing the best redeyes bring damn good money and of course the Demon 170 breaks the bank. The camaro's are not doing that good and it concerns me. But I did not buy mine to worry much about that. I hope though maybe in 10 more years they will. I really do think someday we will see these ZL1's bring really good money but at my age I probably will not be here to find out since I am older than dirt!
I don't expect any huge sudden jump in prices. Why would they? Historically what muscle car has? Made in big numbers.
I love the '69 looks and they hold the most value of the old Camaros. There were the 6pak mopars and 426 hemi's which I'd compare more to the Hellcats and redeyes. The demons are more like the old ZL1 427s or something rare.
Mechum isn't the best way to determine values. Someone bids up something they have an itch for and money burning a hole in their pocket and compete not to be "beaten" in their bid from that other SOB. I'm surprised real V8s are popular at all having witnessed that 4cyl scene that replaced all the V8 magazine covers with 20s and under crowd. I thought that was their end.
Supply and demand. For every 1 that prefers the superior Camaro there are 9 that follow the crowds and go for the Dodge. I said this years ago before they made the RE or Demon and the prediction still holds true.
The epa restrictions get worse and worse. I know you don't feel it yet where you are and you might not in your lifetime but they continue to get worse. In California not only do they inspect it they plug into the OBD and if there is the tinyest bit of a tune even, say, changing the fan temp it fails.
The Tesla 3 Performance costs a fraction of a Redeye new ZL1 or Demon and will smoke them on the street 0-60 or 1/8 or 1/4 not because of more hp but more traction with AWD. I don't always agree with the If you can't beat 'em Join 'em. But I'm going to be sticking to EV performance.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote