Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #15
ritchet

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS Red Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
To the OP, that really sucks. Maybe it was an older person who didn’t realize they actually even hit you. Just speaking from experience with my dear father in law may he rest in peace...he was a great man but didn’t drive so well towards the end there.
That brings up another problem. Especially here in Ohio. Older drivers should not get there licenses renewed if they can not pass the vision test at the BMV. I have seen on more than one occasion where older people were coached through the test by the administrator in order to pass.

My Dad and Mom both quit driving when they knew they should. My Grandpa drove until he was 100, even though he should not have.
ritchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Old people have too much political power. There should be mandatory retesting starting at 65.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Old people have too much political power. There should be mandatory retesting starting at 65.
See if you still feel that way at 65. Besides, we have no idea if it was an old person. Anybody can back into someone. Big Daddy Don Garlits at 86 ran the Dodge Demon several runs.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #18
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
See if you still feel that way at 65. Besides, we have no idea if it was an old person. Anybody can back into someone. Big Daddy Don Garlits at 86 ran the Dodge Demon several runs.
I absolutely would. There are 12 year olds that have the motor skills to drive, doesn’t mean we should let all of them. Diminishing physical acuity is a fact. Reasonable and unbiased standards are a legitimate goal.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1214 View Post
Been seeing alot of this lately... If this ever happens to me idk what I'd do, probably go Liam Neeson (taken) mode and hunt the person down haha.. anyway hope things work out man

I would first go then a little then
Old 02-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #20
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
I absolutely would. There are 12 year olds that have the motor skills to drive, doesn’t mean we should let all of them. Diminishing physical acuity is a fact. Reasonable and unbiased standards are a legitimate goal.
Well, why start at 65 for retesting? Why not do it every 5 years from 16 then? People age at different rates and people have different abilities regardless of age. I see people from 16 to 80 every day that probably should have never had a license. 65 isnt that old. I know plenty of 65 year old plus fellows that drive just fine.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #21
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

65 is an easy number as it’s the usual beginning of Social Security. 70 would be fine too, but there needs to be testing. We had to stop my mother from driving. There isn’t always somebody there to do the right thing.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #22
hdkeno

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
People are inconsiderate aholes. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope it all comes out ok, and doesn't occur again...
hdkeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #23
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Seen this far too many times. Accidents happen, so all you can do is try to prevent them. Its a cowardly thing to do to hit and run though.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #24
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
Not every old person should be removed from the roads. I do believe that by the time you are 80 you should actually take the road test again. There are too many drivers that can no longer judge distance and speed any longer and become a hazard. But, there are exceptions. Willard Kinzer will be 90 in April. He still holds an NHRA license and would probably tree everyone on this site.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #25
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 SS 350 5 Speed View Post
Not every old person should be removed from the roads. I do believe that by the time you are 80 you should actually take the road test again. There are too many drivers that can no longer judge distance and speed any longer and become a hazard. But, there are exceptions. Willard Kinzer will be 90 in April. He still holds an NHRA license and would probably tree everyone on this site.
Truth be told, we should all have to take the driven test at renewal time, or at least every other renewal. Many states have adopted a six year license. People can develop a lot of bad habits in six years, never mind twelve.

Also, the idea of making a certain age group test out will never fly in terms of legislation. The only way to get that done is to make it unilateral, test everyone. The only real issue with this is the expense and overall logistical burden it would create for the states. But if fewer accidents and grid locks is the result, it might be worth it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
+1 and I'm going on 73.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #27
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I'm not sure a re-test for old age would fly....it sounds like overtones of age discrimination in that sentiment. Its not that I don't agree with driving impairment associated with older citizens, but you have to deal with the issue even handedly (if that's a word). Not for anything, I have seen a truckload of young drivers who couldn't drive themselves out of a paper bag, let alone handle an automobile responsibly on the road.

I believe that more strict driving policies should be in place for negligent driving and accidents caused by negligence. This (if administered responsibly) could curb incidents caused by "dumb" driving.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #28
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Does every old person need to stop driving? Absolutely not, and I never said that. It’s clear many of you have no conceptual foundation of laws and enforcement. You need a standard because it’s impossible to judge everyone individually. Are there excellent 12 year old drivers out there? Absolutely. Can some people safely operate a vehicle at a .12 BAC? Of course. Without definitive, measurable standards, enforcement becomes impossible. Layers already run fast and loose with the rules now, so saying there shouldn’t be a “standard” for a DUI would be chaos. Diminished capacity is a fact. It happens to people at different rates and at different ages, but you can’t depend on people having someone around them to step in and stop that person from being a hazard. We stopped my mother from driving when she was 69. She’s 73 now and has full blown Alzheimer’s. My grandmother was 75 and hit some kid on a bicycle so my dad sold her car. My father on the other hand is 74 and drives great. I still support testing. Putting out a reasonable standard based on age and having to prove competency is the only true fair way to approach the issue. Leave personal emotions out of it and try to be objective.