Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
pooch

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk convertible
OK Vets, Who had the toughest military assignment.

I was in the National Guard in Hershery, PA. in 1968. Had to guard the cholocate factory during riots in the area. You have those candy bars because of me.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
NateSS
1337 AH64D driver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
well i wouldn't say my toughest assignment was really "tough", but for me it was the hardest to deal with.

When Hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast in 2005, we were activated to respond. We sent fuel tankers to new orleans and the sight was just horrendous. heck our blackhawks were even getting shot at by our own citizens (very bad people, looters, etc).

We then had to keep the thousands evacuees quarantined in the Astrodome. That was one of the most difficult experiences in my life. The living condition those people were in, would make a crap third world country look like a beach resort.

Because of how fragile the situation was, we were not allowed to carry firearms. It was certainly disheartening when people would come up to me and beg me to help them. They would beg me to stop their children from being raped when they went to the bathroom. I know this may sound intense, but its the way it was. There weren't enough Houston PD around to stop the raping, and drug dealing, etc. The smell was almost unbearable. At one point we had to gather up a bunch of clothes and blankets and burn them.

Anyways, we did our best to patrol the astrodome and do our best to keep people safe, but with our hands tied, there wasn't alot we could do other than assist people and be a presence.

That was the toughest assignment I ever had. I pray something like that never happens again!
Old 11-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Vietnam Vet 1967,68,69 18mths! Peace and GOD BLESS to all of our troops! No matter where they Served. Also our MIA'S may they never be forgotten.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I got lucky and got pretty easy duty stations throughout my 4 years. First year was mostly training out in 29 Palms (boring), 2 years in Okinawa (amazing beaches, fun training) last year was in Pendleton.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
not me, only had to dodge rounds about a dozen times, sent some down range a bunch, think most of the time it was empty houses, someone sees movement that sort of thing....

but was never in anything real thick....nothing like the stories my dad tells me about when he was LRRP'ing in Vietnam......I dont think Ide have ever had a clean pair of underwear if I had to go through half what he did. I had enough dirty ones the few times it did get hot.

Anyone that talks about multiple nightly mortor attacks as if it was a normal thing to tell time by, and that was mild compared to many of his experiences, had it a lot tougher than I do....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Well I spent 4 years at WHCA! That was hard but fun. Other than that it was 3 years out at sea! I had it fairly easy I guess, a lot sacrificed much more. God bless them!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I had good assignments... none of them "tough". I guess the most challenging one was being a Combat Engineer in (West) Germany at the height of the Cold War (1982-84). We were constantly on alert in case the Russians decided to come across the border (only about 50 miles away) and start some crap. It was our job to blow the bridges and roadways to delay their advance. Obviously nothing ever happened but it was pretty intense just knowing the possibility was that close.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
craigk777

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/RS
I was in Germany during the Cold War. Spent a lot of time on alert and in the field. I was in the Field Artillery.
craigk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigk777 View Post
I was in Germany during the Cold War. Spent a lot of time on alert and in the field. I was in the Field Artillery.
So you know what I mean. 3rd ID's 10th Combat Engineers area was the Fulda Gap - Wurzburg to the Czech border.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheaccount View Post
None as tough as our combat vets but I served during Desert Storm in the 3rd US Infantry, The Old Guard. Spent a lot of time in Arlington Cemetery and many other off post National Cemeteries providing honors at the burials of many fallen soldiers.
that is a special feeling, spent a stint driving around France doing the cerimonies at the WW soldiers cemeteries there....its really an Eye opener how many there are, and even though for the most part the French were looking down thier nose at the very least, some even spat at us lousy americans, (a friend got a persanel size pizza with so much spit on it the cheese slid right off once).... the towns around the cemetaries were very friendly and accepting. they were very respectful of the american dead........being able to show honors for the fallen has a special place in my heart.....
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Toughest is burying your brothers!
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
WWII and Vietnam....all of em.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
NateSS
1337 AH64D driver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Of all the places ive been though, kuwait has to be worst. Not sure why people ever decided to settle that place...
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateSS View Post
Of all the places ive been though, kuwait has to be worst. Not sure why people ever decided to settle that place...
Black Gold!

Thanks to all my fellow veteran brothers and sisters for your service and sacrifices. God Bless America!