Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #29
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
What would an auto have to do with mufflers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Well the current generation Camaro has a different exhaust for the L99/Automatic.

With that being said the first word that comes to mind looking at that undercarriage, cluster****.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #30
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Much of the floor stampings are similar to the Cadillac ATS coupe, which shares the Camaro’s Alpha platform, but there were a lot of changes made during the Camaro’s development. For example, the suspension cradles could swap between the two, although the suspension links are longer on the Camaro because of its increased track width.

This should put to rest any beliefs that the Camaro is based on the CTS version of the Alpha.
Yea, I was one of those. I did not see how the Camaro could be any lighter based on the Alpha/CTS. Happy to be wrong! I am deciding between a CA6 SS and a used ZL1 next spring. The ZL1 would be the smart money buy, but the new SS sounds sweet.

What is very cool is all you are getting on the base SS and most of it optionally on the V6. Also happy to see some iron on the SS diff. Hopefully the clutch and clutch hydraulics will be improved and better cooled. If you can forego all the shiny baubles, you can get a ton of sophisticated performance with a 1SS for around $40K. And I am not a fanboy.

Which leaves me wondering, what more trackable SS version/option could there between the SS and the next LT4 ZL1-Z/28? That car most likely will have the track goodies standard to slot itself under the Z/06 and probably be as fast or faster than the GT350R. While this amount of speed is fun to read about, it is also very easy to flip a car or hit hard stuff hard on a track at those speeds. An SS track version would be more drive-able for us mere mortals.

I remember how the dream 5th gen Z/28 was discussed at very great length before it came out. Here is my ZLE dream car:

• Standard SS (Auto or manual) +
  • Side bolstered Sport Seats
  • CTS/V 6 piston front brakes with the big discs
  • Torque vectoring diff
  • Square sized more track-able tires
  • Carbon Fiber wheels
  • Deeper Splitter
  • Gurney flap spoiler
  • Blacked out hood.
  • Let's leave the LT1 alone, it has plenty of power for the 99% drivers to get into trouble
As for me the standard SS (or 5th gen ZL1) will be more than adequate. But an even faster car is fun to read about.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #31
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yea, I was one of those. I did not see how the Camaro could be any lighter based on the Alpha/CTS. Happy to be wrong! I am deciding between a CA6 SS and a used ZL1 next spring. The ZL1 would be the smart money buy, but the new SS sounds sweet.

What is very cool is all you are getting on the base SS and most of it optionally on the V6. Also happy to see some iron on the SS diff. Hopefully the clutch and clutch hydraulics will be improved and better cooled. If you can forego all the shiny baubles, you can get a ton of sophisticated performance with a 1SS for around $40K. And I am not a fanboy.

Which leaves me wondering, what more trackable SS version/option could there between the SS and the next LT4 ZL1-Z/28? That car most likely will have the track goodies standard to slot itself under the Z/06 and probably be as fast or faster than the GT350R. While this amount of speed is fun to read about, it is also very easy to flip a car or hit hard stuff hard on a track at those speeds. An SS track version would be more drive-able for us mere mortals.

I remember how the dream 5th gen Z/28 was discussed at very great length before it came out. Here is my ZLE dream car:
  • Standard SS (Auto or manual) +
  • Side bolstered Sport Seats
  • CTS/V 6 piston front brakes with the big discs
  • Torque vectoring diff
  • Square sized more track-able tires
  • Carbon Fiber wheels
  • Deeper Splitter
  • Gurney flap spoiler
  • Blacked out hood.
  • Let's leave the LT1 alone, it has plenty of power for the 99% drivers to get into trouble
As for me the standard SS (or 5th gen ZL1) will be more than adequate. But an even faster car is fun to read about.
Square tires?!?! That's a bold strategy, Cotton.
I'm in the same position between 2017 SS(50th Anniversary) or Z/xx, and used ZL1.
Also I like your projected ZLE dream car. Maybe tune the LT1 up for slight bump.
I'm excited to see what they put out for a performance model for my dream car.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #32
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWA SS View Post
I'm in the same position between 2017 SS(50th Anniversary) or Z/xx, and used ZL1.
Also I like your projected ZLE dream car. Maybe tune the LT1 up for slight bump.
Can't tell if you are sarcastic, but the "Square tires" is just same size tire on all four corners aka, square tire setup. I think sarcasm.

So for those that track, do you all like a Square setup better - and is it just for cost savings cuz they are rotatable?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #33
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Can't tell if you are sarcastic, but the "Square tires" is just same size tire on all four corners aka, square tire setup. I think sarcasm.

So for those that track, do you all like a Square setup better - and is it just for cost savings cuz they are rotatable?
HAHA, yes sarcasm. I'm running a square setup currently. Wheels and tires.
I did it in hopes of rotating and supposed to be more neutral for tracking, but wish I had went with the ZL1 offsets.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #34
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
HAHA, yes sarcasm. I'm running a square setup currently. Wheels and tires.
I did it in hopes of rotating and supposed to be more neutral for tracking, but wish I had went with the ZL1 offsets.
Ahh...so basically it's cheaper to track it this way, but I think you elude to my next question and that is, doesn't this take away from the performance handling, and I'm gonna guess you refer to the offsets for this reason?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #35
Fraxum

Quote:
The square tires keep the car slow enough to be safe on a track for all of us. Another benefit is it would most likely keep anyone interested in tracking to just one lap. It's a safety, not a performance feature.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-12-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #36
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

You cannot rotate the 1LE tires which has a square size setup. The rear wheels are the same width as ZL1 rears. I never tried but I do not think they would fit the front. I think this was a cost cutting measure on the 1LE to reuse the ZL1 wheels. The tires do look funny so stretched out. The need for different offsets front and rear makes it hard to use the same rims front and rear if you want a wide rim for big tires. I would expect the CA6 to be the same as the 5th gen Camaro.

With skinnier rims you can do it, and in that application it is a cost saving measure. But on the 1LE this was done to build a faster car, not for track savings. People who track their 1LE buy lots of brake pads and tires, besides the $300-500 a day cost of tracking. They can be happy the 1LE can get 25 mpg back and forth to the track. This helps offset the occasional flatbed towing costs. Some 1LE trackers buy a truck and a trailer to help save money on flatbed costs. Expensive hobby.

A square tire setup gets you a more neutral cornering car which means less understeer. This is more fun and faster on the track. A near neutral car is more fun on the street too without the push. But you do need to be more careful in the turns.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-12-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #37
The Tinkerer

Drives: Not what I want!
I think it was stated a while ago that the muffler design is to lessen drag. I don't know if it is any heavier than the two mufflers before.
The Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #38
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
The muffler is huge yes, Im sure there is a good reason its like that though, I doubt the engineers just put a huge muffler because they thought it looks cool.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #39
Zultain7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
The muffler is huge yes, Im sure there is a good reason its like that though, I doubt the engineers just put a huge muffler because they thought it looks cool.
Wasn't it saying in the article that in stealth mode it routes the exhaust through the muffler and in track it doesn't? Maybe why it's so big...
3000 Status on 9/3
3300 Status on 10/8
3400 Status on 10/9
3800 Status on 10/19
Delivery 12/28
Zultain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #40
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zultain7 View Post
Wasn't it saying in the article that in stealth mode it routes the exhaust through the muffler and in track it doesn't? Maybe why it's so big...
Well that's basically what the npp did on the 5th gen using smaller mufflers (not much lol). I think I saw somewhere that it aids in the aerodynamics.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #41
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I don't think the mufflers are quite as big as it appears. Imagine cutting that thing in half, and each half isn't that much bigger than an aftermarket muffler.

But forget about size, I think the design is genius. Remember, it's actually two separate mufflers inside that shell, so you still have fully independent dual exhaust. Secondly, the mufflers mass are distributed as close to the back of the car as possible to help keep an evenly balanced weight distribution on the axles for better handling. Not to mention, the combined muffler design makes the aerodynamics significantly improved over a traditional setup as well. They tip the bottom up as it goes to the back of the car to increase volume as air exits the back. This helps the diffuser function better.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #42
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I wonder how the Clutch style LSD compares to a Torsen style? Anyone have experience with both?

I'm also surprised by the valves in the exhaust for AFM operation. I'm guessing the manual wouldn't have these.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote