Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #85
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
According to National DOT records, driving fast causes fewer accidents then people driving to slow and or blocking the flow of traffic.

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_curve
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #86
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hta1 View Post
According to National DOT records, driving fast causes fewer accidents then people driving to slow and or blocking the flow of traffic.

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq
No doubt. Nervous drivers are the biggest hazard on the road IMO.

I wonder how many accidents are caused by passing in the median, though
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #87
M3hta1
USMC OIF 06-08

Drives: My wife crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibustaRhymes View Post
No doubt. Nervous drivers are the biggest hazard on the road IMO.

I wonder how many accidents are caused by passing in the median, though
I didn't say the camaro driver wasn't at fault for the accident, but it could have been prevented by both parties not being jackasses.

The truck started to pass the 18 wheeler. Then slowed to match his speed blocking the flow of traffic and ultimately causing the accident that should have never happened in the first place if he would have gone ahead and passed the 18 wheeler and moved over for the flow of traffic to resume.
M3hta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #88
wadeh

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/M6, Silver Ice Metallic
The driver of the pickup truck needs to be heavily fined. The driver of the Camaro needs to be jailed.

There's no defense at all for the Camaro driver. At the start of the video, he rushes up the right lane and just about runs the pickup truck off the road trying to fit into an opening that is not there (there's another car right in front of the pickup at that point). He then drives both aggressively and erratically for the next couple of miles before pulling into the median to try and pass. This person needs to be taken off the road for a very long time.

I don't know the laws in all 50 states, but here in Washington, it is explicitly illegal to drive continuously in the left lane if it impedes other traffic. The pickup truck had every opportunity to avoid this accident. What he should have done was to just follow the traffic in front of him and then move to the right when he was safely in front of the semi truck. The Camaro could have then sped off up the road to have his accident somewhere else.

There's mention of brake checking several times in the thread, but I didn't notice the pickup doing this (I saw the Camaro repeatedly run nearly all the way into the pickup truck and then brake to back off and repeat over and over). The pickup clearly altered his speed to block the Camaro, though. You can tell because the traffic he was following at the start of the video continued far up the road before the accident happened.

As for the other vehicles, the semi truck did not do anything wrong. He just drove continuously (and probably sees crap like this all the time, but underestimated the extreme stupidity of the Camaro driver). Oh, and I thought that the driver with the dash cam was following way too close. When I see stuff like this, I like to get as uninvolved as possible, often dropping into the right lane and back until they work it out.

Just my two cents,
-Wade
wadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #89
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I drive an 18 wheeler (oilfeild) and mine is governed at 80 mph. Most of the time I run a little faster than the flow of traffic to keep ahead and to myself.

When on a 2 lane interstate YES I do slow down to let other motorists around, or if I see someone trying to box another driver in, I don't get the no common courtesy on the road (the pick up driver).
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #90
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
This is what happens wen two idiots meet! Camaro and pick-up truck guy were both idiots. Feel bad for the semi-truck driver. Hope no one was hurt.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #91
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Holy crap! That Camaro driver was a total duchebag and deserves EVERYTHING he has coming to him/her!

May be one of the DUMBEST passes I have ever seen attempted!
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #92
williamp78

Drives: 2011 2ss blk/wht strp
Would of never happened if the guy in the pickup would of not sped up to block him. Other than that the maro sounded good when he got on it.
williamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #93
Mityguy

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue Camaro 1SS/1LE
This thread is like offensive drivers VS defensive drivers. The Offinesive drivers say the truck is an asshole, and the defensive drivers call the Camaro an asshole.
Mityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #94
williamp78

Drives: 2011 2ss blk/wht strp
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
maybe he was in a rush to go the hospital or something. dont be so quick so judge
Maybe he had a delivery of mods coming to his house and he had to sign for them....

If only you would of yelled LOOKOUT! a little louder....
williamp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #95
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mityguy View Post
This thread is like offensive drivers VS defensive drivers. The Offinesive drivers say the truck is an asshole, and the defensive drivers call the Camaro an asshole.
Haha...I would consider myself an offensive driver...but the camaro driver is still the duchebag and totally at fault.

What caused the accident - The camaro driver who has no driving skills whatsoever and made dumb ass moron choices!

This all could have prevented if the Camaro driver was a good driver...used the Camaro power...and made a clean pass with room to spare. Instead they hesitated...did not use the power...attempted to make a pass that should not have been attempted...then ultimately attempted to make a road car off road AT SPEED! DUMBASS
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #96
Mityguy

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
Haha...I would consider myself an offensive driver...but the camaro driver is still the duchebag and totally at fault.

What caused the accident - The camaro driver who has no driving skills whatsoever and made dumb ass moron choices!

This all could have prevented if the Camaro driver was a good driver...used the Camaro power...and made a clean pass with room to spare. Instead they hesitated...did not use the power...attempted to make a pass that should not have been attempted...then ultimately attempted to make a road car off road AT SPEED! DUMBASS
Its all about the chicken or the egg... If the truck just gave the camaro some room and let him go and get a ticket a few miles down the road then he would have taught the guy a lesson and he wouldn't be looking at used car lots trying to replace his recently totaled vehicle.
Mityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #97
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Regardless of who here is at fault, this is exactly why I think people should be taught to drive properly, not just given a license after a few questions and a short, unrealistic test. It is also why I think everyone should be required to retest every time they get their license renewed (every 4 years or whatever it is). A regular retest would ensure drivers are up to date on the latest traffic laws in their area, as well as ensuring that incompetent people stay off the road. A drivers license should be treated more like a certification that needs to be retested and renewed to stay current.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #98
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The Camaro driver should be held liable for this. The truck driver shouldn't have blocked him in either, but there is no excuse for almost running the truck off the highway and then trying to pass on the shoulder/grass. 100% reckless driving. At no point should anyone ever try to attempt such a move, no matter how angry you get. I get a bit irritated when someone purposely cuts me off or blocks me in, but that doesn't justify doing what this Camaro driver did. You can't cut him slack.