Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Jeffsss

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Karl Performance in Des Moines, Iowa

Have any C5 members in the Midwest utilized Karl Performance to perform a dyno tune on their Camaro? They are located in Des Moines, Iowa and opened in 2012. They are owned by Karl Chevrolet (largest Corvette dealer in Iowa) and specialize in modifying GM vehicles using common aftermarket mods. Any experience with this group and recommendations? They are about the only option in Iowa for custom tuning.
Jeffsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
pwrmanpaul66

Drives: 2016 2/SS 6 spd Dual Mode
There are quite a few on here that have had real good results from them they are having their first cars and coffee coming up April 12 I believe 7am to 11 ! If you have never been there you really should go and check the place out very state of the art shop very nice people too !
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
pwrmanpaul66

Drives: 2016 2/SS 6 spd Dual Mode
You can pm toesuf94 Scott , extreme2s Tim , NitroBeagle Chris all on here and have had tunes done by Karl Performance !
Old 03-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
This is good to know as they will be doing a bit of work to my mustang soon before it comes home.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Jeffsss

Thanks for the feedback and heads up about their cruise-in events. That gives me confidence to utilize them for future work. I live in SE Iowa so only little over an hour drive to DSM. Just need some warmer weather and some rain to clean up the salt and sand off the roads and wake the car up from a long winter.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
nsane

Drives: 2013 Camaro zl1
I am planning to have them do a tune on my 2011 2SS/RS this spring. I will do a write up about how it goes and post here.

I was struggling between a SCT tuner and a custom dyno tune. I call Karl Performance and they gave me some good advice that summarized pros and cons of both. After doing a bit of research on Camaro5 I've decided the best move for me is a custom tune at Karl.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Jeffsss

Sounds similar to the conversation I also had with one of their mechanics. Let me know how your tune goes as I may be in there later this spring.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
nsane

Drives: 2013 Camaro zl1
Earlier this week I had my tune performed by Karl Performance in Des Moines. Great experience and a bargain in my opinion.

My appointment was for 8:30 a.m. on a Monday. I was excited so I arrived a little early (7:45). At 8 a.m. the doors opened. They told me to pull around to door 10. Once there I jumped out of the car and within a few minutes someone opened up the door and came out to greet me. He introduced himself and hopped in my car. As he was hooking up the car he asked me about my mods. I told him I had the following:
Dynatech Long Tube Headers
High Flow Cats
Catback Borla S
CAI - Cold Air Intake

He asked what I run for fuel. I told him 91 religiously. He grinned.

After a substantial amount of time hooking up wires and typing on a laptop the car was fired up. I stood back and listened as he went through the gears. Once in final gear he ran it up through the RPMS. What a beautiful sound. I will post the video. It was so loud I could feel it in my chest.

He did about a half dozen runs to dial in the air/fuel ratios. We talked awhile about fuel in Iowa and the impacts of ethanol (good or bad). He explained some of the impacts of tuning and the variety of fuel qualities. It was interesting. We also talked about mileage and if tuning would help. He said the car will be more efficient, but the biggest factor is how you drive. Drive like an old woman and you will get better mileage.

He spoke with me for awhile to let the car cool down. After he finished he flashed up a dyno of a bone stock 2013 SS. 351HP. With my simple Stage 1 mods he was able to tune in 411HP. That is a 60 HP gain.

For the past several months I have logged about 19.5 mpg for mileage. I reset my mileage on the way home. Highway mileage was 29. That is driving like an old woman. Even bone stock I didn't get that kind of mileage.

Overall I am very please with Karl Performance. Courteous staff, nice facility, knowledgeable staff and great price. I highly recommend a tune by Karl Performance.
Attached Images