#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2024, 07:13 AM   #1597
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Public charging is just going to be subject to bottlenecks.
Home charging makes most sense from a garage.
Its unusual to have to wait for a charger in UK, its got a lot better recently, apparently there are now 53K charging points which is up 45% on 2022.

Likewise all new build houses and apartments since 2022 have to include an EV point - my home charger is on the side of a fence and I know some local councils are installing "residents charging" on bigger apartments and blocks of flats.

The drawbacks are rapidly getting smaller, or disappearing entirely.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #1598
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
Its unusual to have to wait for a charger in UK, its got a lot better recently, apparently there are now 53K charging points which is up 45% on 2022.

Likewise all new build houses and apartments since 2022 have to include an EV point - my home charger is on the side of a fence and I know some local councils are installing "residents charging" on bigger apartments and blocks of flats.

In fairness, the EU and UK just don't have the population density that the US does. That's what really hurts the US when it comes to these kinds of things, and ultimately why the public transportation also sucks too.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:11 PM   #1599
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:

My thinking now is EV will have to compete on a scale with combustion parity. cost, capability, convenience w/ certainty.

When I shopped a Volt, the idea was to 'drill-baby-drill' a discreet hole in the wall for an 110v extention cord. I still rent, and part of my rent staying cheap is my landlord not being hassled by needy tenants or mandates from above.

Someone earlier made the point about poor charger upkeep being from being unprofitable - if they sit unused with people's regular charging at home - and then have to handle a holiday or event rush. I know I don't have any sympathy for people, that have either rode the asset bubble or ran up debt, to want these things subsidized.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM   #1600
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
In fairness, the EU and UK just don't have the population density that the US does. That's what really hurts the US when it comes to these kinds of things, and ultimately why the public transportation also sucks too.
Nor do they have the travel distances. The US is not just a country but also loosely fits the definition of a continent. Goods, services and people travel large distances on a daily basis. You can travel across France in less than half a day. It takes at least 2 days to cross the US and thats with minimal stops.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:06 PM   #1601
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Nor do they have the travel distances. The US is not just a country but also loosely fits the definition of a continent. Goods, services and people travel large distances on a daily basis. You can travel across France in less than half a day. It takes at least 2 days to cross the US and thats with minimal stops.
Yeah, that's basically my point. The entire Sweden/Norway/Finland countries have less population than just Florida (last time I checked).

When I lived in Germany, you would see everything in the city, drive 15 min away from one, and it was like you went back 30 years in time for the most part between the large cities...

Meanwhile, a city that could be considered a large city in the EU is considered a small town here in the US...
Old 01-26-2024, 03:34 AM   #1602
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
The distances and rubbish public transport in the US I cant argue with, but the biggest UK cities are roughly the same population as the biggest US cities, the bits that didnt get destroyed in WW2 have much older buildings and road networks to work with too.
Central Europe is pretty empty apart from cows and angry farmers, no denying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer
My thinking now is EV will have to compete on a scale with combustion parity. cost, capability, convenience w/ certainty.
Totally agree, I think we are a getting lot closer here as EVs are better suited to European requirements, and are generally more convenient - the infrastructure is visibly improving as EV take up increases which cant be a bad thing IMO.
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:24 AM   #1603
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
The distances and rubbish public transport in the US I cant argue with, but the biggest UK cities are roughly the same population as the biggest US cities, the bits that didnt get destroyed in WW2 have much older buildings and road networks to work with too.
Central Europe is pretty empty apart from cows and angry farmers, no denying that.
Yeah, their main cities are generally the same as the US, but that's still kinda the issue. Their public transportation system is part of why they can get away with their EV structure being what it is.

You simply don't have that ability in the US right now.... heck even cities like Chicago and New York, which are massive subway/cab cities, can't do it...
Old 01-26-2024, 01:29 PM   #1604
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Here’s a chart I put together to respond to a question for one of our clients. This is just work process product and not a chart that will appear (at least not exactly) in the work product, but it provides some interesting facts and findings. So, I’ll post it here and see where the comments go. My initial thoughts:
  • Notice the brands that Tesla outsells.
  • Notice that Tesla has moved up three position points in a year.
  • Notice that every brand that sells EVs sold more EVs in 2023 than they did in 2022. Measure that against “EVs aren’t selling”.
  • Also notice that % of total volumes that each brand sells as EVs is holding steady or going up for every brand. Yes, Kia and Audi show a slight dip but that is pretty much rounding. It’s basically even, especially since both are adding several nameplates in 2024.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 01-26-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:30 PM   #1605
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Just eyeballing, it looks like around 1.6 million EV's sold in '23?

While the trend is good, the absolute numbers are still too small to really draw any solid conclusion.

Do you have an EV vs time or EV% vs time graph so you can see what the slope is doing?
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:10 AM   #1606
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
For a lay of the land view, I'd rather see penetration into comparable segments than brands. And look for a slip in leaders. European luxury isn't a surprise.

Teslas 3 & Y now is closer starting to mainstream premium-ish. Has there been weakness with Highlander, Grand Cherokee, Camry, Accord? I'd look at Hyundai and Volkswagen to see how much EVs might cannibalize other models.

Sentiment surrounding brands differ. Grading on curves makes chart comparison tough.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:30 PM   #1607
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
The Peeps no longer buying the EV Kool Aid.

MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:41 AM   #1608
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
That video is actually laughable to anyone who actually follows what is going on in the automotive industry (NOT just EV). It was apparently produced in early 2023. One of the things stated in the video is that sales are slower “so far in 2023” than they were in 2022. A 30 second Google search will confirm that 2023 EV sales were 46% HIGHER than 2022 and shattered the 1 million mark for the first time. From that point on credibility is zero.

In a study my company did in Q1 2023 our findings were that over 60% of EV buyers surveyed said their next vehicle purchase would be an EV. 76% for Tesla owners.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 01-28-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:31 AM   #1609
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
That video is actually laughable to anyone who actually follows what is going on in the automotive industry (NOT just EV). It was apparently produced in early 2023. One of the things stated in the video is that sales are slower “so far in 2023” than they were in 2022. A 30 second Google search will confirm that 2023 EV sales were 46% HIGHER than 2022 and shattered the 1 million mark for the first time. From that point on credibility is zero.

In a study my company did in Q1 2023 our findings were that over 60% of EV buyers surveyed said their next vehicle purchase would be an EV. 76% for Tesla owners.

Yeh...thats because your company is pushing the EV Market/force down our throats.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:33 AM   #1610
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

Anyone pushing EVs also pushing African Child slave labor to meet their goals. Damn shame.