Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #57
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
well, if you want an M6, then keep looking. fastest on paper doesn't take into account the fun factor of the M6 and M6 isn't really a problem in stop and go traffic like it is blown up to be while reading posts. just my 2 centavos......
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #58
GA Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
The only place a manual is a Must is when you put 4000 HP behind it. Auto=explosion!!!

To me .2 is a waste of time. I drive to work, home, date night. I ain’t spending $20 on .2.
What I am saying is it’s what you want. As far as performance it’s to close to call for anyone that is not running in the lane beside John Force. Or Andretti for that matter. A stick does not make a sports car or a muscle car. In Ten years the sticks will be a distant memory.
GA Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #59
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Camaro 2SS View Post
What you mean you don’t need all 6 gears. This is Mad Max racing sir. Race to the death !!!

And don’t tell the fellow above me that a win is a win. He thinks .2 doesn’t matter. Lol.

I know a lot of fellows that spend big bucks on .2.

But I digress. The truth is the reason sticks are used in racing is because they are the only ones that can take the abuse. Auto won’t hold up to John Force.
Mad Max racing to the death, now thats the spirit .Lol.
Does anyone really know how much abuse an A8 can handle ,am sure stock runs on a dragstrip will be fun for a while but when you really want to go fast add more power and bite, when things start to get serious it won't last long .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #60
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
The only place a manual is a Must is when you put 4000 HP behind it. Auto=explosion!!!

To me .2 is a waste of time. I drive to work, home, date night. I ain’t spending $20 on .2.
What I am saying is it’s what you want. As far as performance it’s to close to call for anyone that is not running in the lane beside John Force. Or Andretti for that matter. A stick does not make a sports car or a muscle car. In Ten years the sticks will be a distant memory.
Eight years ago porsche guys were saying in Ten years sticks will be a distant memory and look what happen there ,, hell in Ten years steering wheels may be a distant memory .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #61
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about and neither do you. All of the records are owned by manual Camaros. Did you even click on the articles?

If you are thinking only drag times you completely miss the point and talking to you is useless. Drag difference is barely .2 seconds which means nothing.

Go back to 1985 and grow a mullett and play your Motley Crüe cassettes. You're the Camaro owner everyone makes fun of. In case you haven't noticed, the Camaro has grown up and matured since then.
The answer is no he doesn’t, but since he has an auto and heard on the forum it’s faster it must be . I’m still trying to figure out how the auto is worth more like he said.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #62
GA Camaro 2SS

I can guarantee the auto is going to give out before the stick. Sad thing is everything is disposable now a days.

Honestly when you get down to .2 it’s the driver and luck not the car. Same scenario 10x will give you 11 different results.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #63
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR 45TH View Post
The answer is no he doesn’t, but since he has an auto and heard on the forum it’s faster it must be . I’m still trying to figure out how the auto is worth more like he said.
I’m here because I bought a 6th gen daily to add to the 57 other cars I’ve owned including many 11 second stick cars, a 2005 Lotus, an imported RHD, and some classic cars. I don’t need a forum to tell me anything, almost every manufacturer is moving away from manual transmissions simply because the autos have advanced so much. BMW, Lamborghini, Audi, Ferrari, mclaren, almost every company is dual clutch or auto only. The “mullet” having Camaro owners are the ones stuck with outdated technology believing its superior. Is having a stick more fun? Subjective and purely up to the individual. Is an auto faster? In almost every situation yes.

And I’ve worked in the automotive industry for 25 years. An automatic car has a higher resale and appeals to more buyers than a stick. Believe what you want but an automatic car is easier to sell for a higher price.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #64
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
I rented a Camaro 1SS A8 Last weekend and thought it was kind of boring. I don't know if renting a stick would have helped or not because I rented a manual 2018 Mustang GT today and was bored by it as well. In my opinion some Manual cars are more fun to drive than their Auto counterparts and some cars are more fun with the Auto. I think you just need to drive both for more than just a test drive to see which one you like best.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #65
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I’m here because I bought a 6th gen daily to add to the 57 other cars I’ve owned including many 11 second stick cars, a 2005 Lotus, an imported RHD, and some classic cars. I don’t need a forum to tell me anything, almost every manufacturer is moving away from manual transmissions simply because the autos have advanced so much. BMW, Lamborghini, Audi, Ferrari, mclaren, almost every company is dual clutch or auto only. The “mullet” having Camaro owners are the ones stuck with outdated technology believing its superior. Is having a stick more fun? Subjective and purely up to the individual. Is an auto faster? In almost every situation yes.

And I’ve worked in the automotive industry for 25 years. An automatic car has a higher resale and appeals to more buyers than a stick. Believe what you want but an automatic car is easier to sell for a higher price.
Every car I've owned has been a manual and sold quickly with high milage for what I asked for without much haggling. Believe what YOU want - when you know who and how to sell your car you will get more for a stick simply because thwre's few of them and the people who want them WANT a stick.

Just because car manufacturers tell you no one wants a stick doesn't mean no one wants a stick. It costs them money to make them and their responsibility is to shareholders, not enthusiasts. Sticks hold their value tremendously well so long as you aren't trying to trade it in at a dealer or trying to sell it to soccer moms. Try selling to enthusiasts....... there's a reason a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 4 speed Muncie will go for $20k more than it's exact automatic counterpart at auction, and it ain't because the clutch pedal is a $20,000 part.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #66
fastball
Banned

Quote:
I can guarantee the auto is going to give out before the stick. Sad thing is everything is disposable now a days.

Honestly when you get down to .2 it’s the driver and luck not the car. Same scenario 10x will give you 11 different results.
THIS exactly!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #67
GA Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I don’t need a forum to tell me anything, almost every manufacturer is moving away from manual transmissions simply because the autos have advanced so much. BMW, Lamborghini, Audi, Ferrari, mclaren, almost every company is dual clutch or auto only.
Like I said. Resistance is futile.

Everyone is getting into automated everything and it isn’t going to stop.

Sticks are like drum brakes. There may always be a very narrow field of use for them but eventually the superior technology will take over.

Compass = GPS
Propeller = Jet Engine
Plum Bob = Laser Level

Even my tractor has enough sense to go hydromatic. And tractors is dumb. Lol.

There will be manual transmissions in cars until not enough people buy them. Then the auto makers will drop them. Supply and demand. Not enough demand. Then no supply. It’s all about the money.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:22 PM   #68
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Mad Max racing to the death, now thats the spirit .Lol.
Does anyone really know how much abuse an A8 can handle ,am sure stock runs on a dragstrip will be fun for a while but when you really want to go fast add more power and bite, when things start to get serious it won't last long .
It used to be overheating the trans fluid was the biggest concern driving an auto hard.

Today it's the myriad of solenoids, computers, and valves that are frankly scary. With 8+ gears and at least three different programable shifting algorithms reliability is not confidence inspiring driving it hard and fast. I mean, anyone who is that serious about their transmission in a drag race should swap the 8 speed out for a two speed powerglide.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #69
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Like I said. Resistance is futile.

Everyone is getting into automated everything and it isn’t going to stop.

Sticks are like drum brakes. There may always be a very narrow field of use for them but eventually the superior technology will take over.

Compass = GPS
Propeller = Jet Engine
Plum Bob = Laser Level

Even my tractor has enough sense to go hydromatic. And tractors is dumb. Lol.

There will be manual transmissions in cars until not enough people buy them. Then the auto makers will drop them. Supply and demand. Not enough demand. Then no supply. It’s all about the money.
Toyota just released an all new 6 speed maual gearbox with rev matching they will use in various cars. Toyota. The company that makes soccer mom appliances
on wheels engineered an all new manual gearbox for 2019.

Honda still offers a stick on all their cars.

Rumors of the demise of the manual has been greatly exaggerated.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #70
GA Camaro 2SS

Oh wow. 2 speed power glide. I read about those one time long ago in this thing called a book. Lol.

Just kidding. Actually had one in either an old Dodge Dart or maybe it was my 60’s model pick up. Can’t remember. Man I’m getting old. But I’m pretty sure that thing had a top speed of like 80.

But I agree totally about all the automated stuff. Computer this computer that. Not doubt it’s gonna break. But hey the mechanics have to eat too !!! And if the computer in the trans doesn’t turn on you one of the other ten in your car will. Computers are taking over the world. Trust me I’ve seen the movie !!!