Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
0-60 times starting in 2nd?

Odd question.... but I have a manual and usually start from stops in second rather than first.

Out of curiosity, how fast could the SS (or other Camaro engines, if anyone has tried it) go 0-60 starting in second?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Your rite, This is an ODD question, I would GUESS 6-6.5 Sec. and would be VERY HARD on the Clutch!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
What's is your purpose for starting in 2nd??? I hear it is really healthy on the clutch....
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2SS View Post
What's is your purpose for starting in 2nd??? I hear it is really healthy on the clutch....
Laziness, to be honest. A lot of my drive is stop or yield signs every block or two. Usually just leave it in second rather than shift gears until I am through with that part of the commute. I'm not launching out of second or anything.

Is it really that hard on the clutch to start in second for normal, everyday driving? I've always understood that there's generally no reason to start in first if you don't want to. Doesn't this car have enough torque in second where that's not really an issue?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Laziness, to be honest. A lot of my drive is stop or yield signs every block or two. Usually just leave it in second rather than shift gears until I am through with that part of the commute. I'm not launching out of second or anything.

Is it really that hard on the clutch to start in second for normal, everyday driving? I've always understood that there's generally no reason to start in first if you don't want to. Doesn't this car have enough torque in second where that's not really an issue?
as long as you aren't lugging the engine and aren't reving high on your second gear starts there shouldn't be any additional wear or tear.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
starting in second is like driving a car with a low final drive ratio.
You do have to use more clutch

I always use first gear, but many times short shift into second.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post

It would be way better to start in 1st and skip gears, like go to 3rd or 4th.

You have the torque, but if you want to not abuse the car, start in first and skip the gears you don't need.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote