Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
TEX1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE - Blue
Renick Performance Aero

Curious if anyone has tried the aero package from Renick Performance? I can’t find any performance data on their site but they look legit. I’d like to add some aero but only if it’s functional.
TEX1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
I inquired about the downforce numbers previously. This is the response that I received.

"Im sorry to say this but there are only a few wind tunnels in the state for use on vehicles. The one we would need is owned by Honda. Its $55,000 an hour not including set up, Validation of said parts would take nearly 8 days. These parts are not intended for homologated racing series, they are street parts.

If you are looking for a Flow Validated aero package with wind tunnel time; I would contact Pratt-Miller. Be aware. No developer will give you the flow charts or the flow formulas. They will only give you change over stock and the adjustability “plus” “minus”.

I hope this information helped you."
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I inquired about the downforce numbers previously. This is the response that I received.

"Im sorry to say this but there are only a few wind tunnels in the state for use on vehicles. The one we would need is owned by Honda. Its $55,000 an hour not including set up, Validation of said parts would take nearly 8 days. These parts are not intended for homologated racing series, they are street parts.

If you are looking for a Flow Validated aero package with wind tunnel time; I would contact Pratt-Miller. Be aware. No developer will give you the flow charts or the flow formulas. They will only give you change over stock and the adjustability “plus” “minus”.

And Pratt-Miller is who Chevy worked with on the ZL1 1LE Aero!
Old 01-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post

Thanks for the info! So I’m understanding it as since they’re street parts they don’t work lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes they are only for looks
Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX1LE View Post
Thanks for the info! So I’m understanding it as since they’re street parts they don’t work lol.

I wouldn't say they straight up "don't work", maybe more like "they should work, but we can't exactly how much" haha
Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Yeah if you think anyone making parts outside of very (and I mean VERY) serious race program is going to foot the bill for wind tunnel time or CFD simulation you are living in a fantasy world. Even if they did...they wouldn't just email you the data anyway... To be honest, they can understand that the product will work, but they won't be able to state how much with the certainty needed in the litigation happy world we live in.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
stick to what works, you want more downforce get the ZL1 1LE aero bits. Tried and true and tested to work perfectly with your car without raping the balance.

I do agree it looks pretty cool though.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
TEX1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
stick to what works, you want more downforce get the ZL1 1LE aero bits. Tried and true and tested to work perfectly with your car without raping the balance.

I do agree it looks pretty cool though.
I'd like to but in addition to the already high cost for the spoiler I'm not too thrilled about having to buy the ZL1 front end so the dive planes will fit properly.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
That was a bull shit answer. They could minimally utilize CFD software to get a rough idea about their modifications performance. There are also wind tunnels in the US with rates FAR less than that.

They could have just said their parts are purely for aesthetics, instead of their long winded excuse which said the same thing.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Something that might be of interest to yall here...

https://www.hpacademy.com/blog/tech-...aero-amb-aero/

right about 25:00. they talk about low speed and high speed aero.

we always hear about "it wont help if its not above this or that speed". apparently that's not fully true since some cars have added parts for low speed aero. this is coming from the time attack world in comparisons to the GT world. pretty interesting either way you feel about it.

also ran across this site today. http://stevechristycomposites.com/ honestly, I think theres some space outside of simply just replicating oem parts as long as you get something of quality and its mounted FIRMLY to achieve the same thing that other oem parts will do. Some parts are gonna be just for looks, but given the Optima ulitimate Street car series, NASA, and a few other series that mod the 6th gen...we have options now for aero.

I'm surely not against OEM. I just dont think its the only way these days considering how much options we have coming out. I mean its cool to say, "hey I spent a sh*t ton of money just to get the oem".... but if you can replicate the same from other sources and accomplish your goals or improve upon what you have with a slightly different touch... have at it. OEM is a good starting point, but nothing hot-rodded stays stock for long. wind tunnels are nice, and most probably wouldn't be able to read the print outs of results. so many place dumb it down and simply say. Adds X amount of DF at X Speed. we all get it then. or theres that other method.... test and tune. most here would know if something added too much front DF vs rear, or cures an understeer situation...etc.

might be of interest to some. been reading, watching and learning all day since work.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #12
TEX1LE

Great info!!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
And Pratt-Miller is who Chevy worked with on the ZL1 1LE Aero!
Pratt-Miller also builds and runs the Corvette and Cadillac Racing Teams in Weather Tech and Pirelli World Challenge as well as the design work Camaro GT4.R

Last edited by mjk3888; 03-08-2018 at 01:46 PM.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote