Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #71
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I see everyone here saying they need six of the GM part # 11601876 (retainer bolts) to replace the shorter bolts. But if you going to do the replacement, don't you want 12? (6 on each side?)

With some of the vibrations I've felt with my car the past few days, this and the axle nut issue are on my mind. I want peace of mind. (I know it could also be the A8 shudder coming back as well, since I had a flush done prior to the current version of the A8 shudder TSB with the correct fluid)

Has anyone just taken out the stock bolts and then just replaced them with the longer ones? If so, should I just dab some blue or green loctite on the bolts and replace them one at a time?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #72
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So I checked the retainer bolts under my car today. They looked fine. But the marks on mine are different than what I've seen here. I have yellow and blue paint marks. Anyone else have that?

My car is a 2016 SS. Very early build... Was in the 2nd or third build week for the 6th gen. It was one of many cars held back for some reason(s) and checked over before they would release it for transportation. To this day I have no idea what they did to these cars, if anything. Wonder if this was part of that? My axle nuts also have other markings on them that I'm not seeing on other pictures.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #73
2021LT1M6base

Drives: 2021 LT1 M6
I checked my 2021 LT1 today it has short bolts. 3 of them were a little loose from the factory. I called my service department they said couldn’t put the new bolt kit in under warranty. That is crap. I ordered the kits online today will install myself. So I guess they haven’t fixed the problem and it’s 2021! Service man said warranty would cover if they fail. BS. I will post a pic tomorrow. If it wasn’t for all the other owners on Camaro6 I would not of known about this problem. Thanks
2021LT1M6base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #74
Albert312

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Well I ended up with the unfortunate aswell, I was having a vibration issue between 60-75mph and my shifter would shake/vibrate back and forward and would smooth out at higher speeds but still feel a vibration present just less. Had the car at the dealer and they replaced the shifter assembly. Problem was a kinda gone but still there. So now when I would have the car going 2 mph or the car just moving on it’s own power. I would hear a ping noise coming from the back. Sure enough one cv axle bolt was gone and was is about to fall out smdh. Sending the car to the dealer tomorrow and see what happens. Will keep y’all posted. Would post a pic of the bolt but I’m on my iPhone.
Albert312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #75
Albert312

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021LT1M6base View Post
I checked my 2021 LT1 today it has short bolts. 3 of them were a little loose from the factory. I called my service department they said couldn’t put the new bolt kit in under warranty. That is crap. I ordered the kits online today will install myself. So I guess they haven’t fixed the problem and it’s 2021! Service man said warranty would cover if they fail. BS. I will post a pic tomorrow. If it wasn’t for all the other owners on Camaro6 I would not of known about this problem. Thanks
Any luck yet with your camaro? Did you change the bolts
Old 04-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #76
Albert312

Missing bolt

Manage to get a picture on here, I notice the marking on the other bolts that there not align with the marking to the bolts like if they were either removed or they’re beginning to back out
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #77
Albert312

Guys the dealer did not want to do a warranty on the bolts and I’m not modified. So there’s that :/
Old 04-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #78
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert312 View Post
Guys the dealer did not want to do a warranty on the bolts and I’m not modified. So there’s that :/
Press the issue and get a hold of the corporate office at GM. They know this is an issue as I believe they put out a tsb for this. As long as your within your warranty they need to fix this on their dime.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #79
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
So they looked the backed out bolt, and the missing bolt, and said it's good!!??

*clown world*
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:53 PM   #80
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Went under the car for oil and filter, checked the bolts. They haven't moved but they're short. 38K miles but I have no faith so ordered the longer bolts and washers and this weekend will fix this bullshit before I end up on the side of the road over yet another engineering fail
Old 06-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #81
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
You do realize you only hear about issues on forums right? No one comes on a forum and starts a thread titled "No issues with my Camaro". So you only hear about the few and far between issues. Not only that but the vast majority of car owners don't come to forums in the first place.

And if you think other cars don't have issues you are sadly mistaken. The 5.0 boys are having awful piston slap issues. Replacing an engine is just a tad worse than having to flush your trans fluid every 10k miles. My 2016 WRX with 20k miles on it that I traded in had strut bearings that needed changed every 3-4k miles. When they went out it felt like the front end was coming apart everytime you went over a bump. Subaru just kept throwing bearings at the problem. WRX owners just learned to live with it. And the odd whining/chirping sound coming from the engine that Subaru failed to address. I won't even go into the multitude of problems I had with the brand new Jeep Wrangler I bought in 2014.

This car is so amazing in every way, that the little issues it has make it worth it. If you are worried about the shudder, which I had it, and it didn't bother me at all.... buy a stick shift and be prepared to have a smile on your face everytime you drive.
Best answer, ever.
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:24 AM   #82
Camrochris

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 3.6L supe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stook2001 View Post
Just took my car in for a semi-related issue and figured I would post here rather than adding a new thread.

Noticed last night pulling into my driveway that I had some kind of scraping / grinding / squeaking noise from the rear of the car. Took it in this morning (dealer is fortunately about 1 mile or so from my house). I immediately assumed that my diff was toast since I still have some diff noise like pretty much everyone else. Anyway, turns out that axle bolts were under torqued. From the explanation that I was given, it was the opposite end of the axle to the OP, ie. at the hub. Car has 7k currently. Not abused AT ALL. Not one burn out, never raced, etc. pure daily driver.

It's a mystery to me how this could cause the symptoms that I had but they retorqued the bolts to spec and it does seem to fixed for the moment. From the service guy's description, they seemed rather mystified by it as well but apparently the GM service protocol calls for checking this and sure enough it seemed to fix it.

I expressed my concern about wear to the axle or hub splines given the noise but was assured it was completely fine (not so sure about that, but probably not much I can do about it).
Mine is a mild vibration from 45 to 79 mph. I have a 2018 1SS 6 speed manual. The shifter is vibrating in any gear but really gets going at about 55mph. I just got it out of the shop and had the tires balanced. I can feel how smooth the balance made the car... but after seeing this thread I believe it is a driveshaft or some other fairly serious thing. But some of us have automatics and are getting vibration. Makes me feel better that I am not the only one. But there has to be a TSB on the 6060 tremec or the driveshaft where it connects with the trans, or somewhere logical . 🤔 You guys are awesome. I don't even know where these hub bolts are. Lol.
Camrochris is offline   Reply With Quote