Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
How does your car handle the heat at the track? Hesitation feeling.

As the outside temps were getting close to 90 degrees the car had a hesitation / bogging sensation below 2500 rpm or so. It ran like a top in the upper RPM.

This happened entering the track. I noticed it leaving from the slower corners. And I even played around after I pitted out and it was doing.

Could it be heat soak? Bad 93 octane gas from Shell? I was in PTM race mode. Car Nanny intervention? No check engine lights.

I did catch myself forgetting to shut the AC off a time or two. It was hot in the pits.

I have never experienced this before but my previous track days it didnt get over 70 degrees.

I am 100 percent stock other than brake fluid. Lol.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Rain guard was out? Fluid levels all checked? Sounds suspect, but if the car got heat soaked maybe it was just too hot with not enough air flow. I'd check the IC system for air bubbles, most stock cars have a few from the factory, some more than others.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
That’s not a symptom of heat soak, and you say it happened entering the track so prior to the car heating up in a session right? Sounds more like a fueling issue.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
Sakudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
That’s not a symptom of heat soak, and you say it happened entering the track so prior to the car heating up in a session right? Sounds more like a fueling issue.
I've read of a few people losing fuel pumps (low pressure) recently, I wonder if this is going to become a thing.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Old 05-31-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
Pollock
LT4 M6

I do enter the track with the car warmed up. I make sure my oil is 180 degrees or so before I get on it.

Think the dealer can see the problem without a check engine light? I wonder if cosworth tool box tracks fuel pressure. I dont think so but will check.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I do enter the track with the car warmed up. I make sure my oil is 180 degrees or so before I get on it.

Think the dealer can see the problem without a check engine light? I wonder if cosworth tool box tracks fuel pressure. I dont think so but will check.
I'd be curious to see what the dealer has to say. My car has displayed similar (albeit mild) behavior lately and I'm wondering if it's an issue or all in my head.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:20 AM   #7
Sakudog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.nichols View Post
I'd be curious to see what the dealer has to say. My car has displayed similar (albeit mild) behavior lately and I'm wondering if it's an issue or all in my head.
Does not track FP, but HP Tuners / EFI Live do if you have that.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Old 05-31-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
Pollock
LT4 M6

I have an SCT3 tuner from a while back.
The next step will be for me to put it on the road and drive it and see what happens. If it recreates I will send it to the dealer. If not I will try to data log with my SCT3. Been a while since I used it. Hopefully it's not out dated and unusable.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Tim202

Quote:
...bogging sensation below 2500 rpm or so. I noticed it leaving from the slower corners.

I was in PTM race mode. Car Nanny intervention?
Low RPM and out of slow corners sounds a lot like nanny intervention. I was autocrossing (they are all slow corners) in Track/Race and it would pull so much power the corner workers would ask if the car was ok cause it sounded so bad.

As a side note I went with everything off and started getting much better times at auto-x.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
Pollock
LT4 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
Low RPM and out of slow corners sounds a lot like nanny intervention. I was autocrossing (they are all slow corners) in Track/Race and it would pull so much power the corner workers would ask if the car was ok cause it sounded so bad.

As a side note I went with everything off and started getting much better times at auto-x.
Yeah It could possibly be just that. The track is slicker when its hot right? And in Track PTM race mode. Traction control is on correct?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Yeah It could possibly be just that. The track is slicker when its hot right? And in Track PTM race mode. Traction control is on correct?
Track should be a little stickier when hotter at least until it's too hot, with the surface layer of rubber helping you stick. Definitely better than a cold track.

As far as heat soak, warming your car up to 180 should NOT cause heat soak or we'll always have heat soak. Heat soak is typically caused by oil and IAT temps going way above normal, at which point the SC is pumping hot air. This happens after several minutes at WOT, especially on a hot day or quicker with a car that has pulley mods spinning the SC too fast.

If this is just the TC cutting power, you should be able to see the TC light flashing if you glance at the dash. But you said it happened entering the track where I wouldn't expect you to be too hard on the throttle. Is it happening on corner exit on throttle, and do you have full TC enabled or Track with Sport/Race? If full TC on yes it's probably just that and cold tires.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
Pollock
LT4 M6

I went for a long drive. Car ran great. I did catch myself bumping the PTM into ice mode. And then the car acted like how it was at the track. I am thinking that is what I did. The TC button is not in a good location for me.

Time will tell and it was 80 degrees not 91.