Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #57
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
The L99 is derived from the LS3 with reduced output but adds Active Fuel Management (formerly called Displacement on Demand), which allows it to run on only four cylinders during light load conditions.

Not to be confused with VVT found in the L92 found in the:

2007+ Cadillac Escalade
2007+ GMC Yukon Denali/Denali XL
2007+ GMC Sierra Denali
2008+ Hummer H2
2009+ Chevrolet Silverado 1500

The L92 is also an all aluminum design and while still a pushrod engine, boasts variable valve timing, a first in a mass-produced non-overhead cam V8 engine. The system adjusts both intake and exhaust timing between two settings. This engine produces 402 hp and 417 ft.lbs in the GMC Yukon Denali/XL Denali, Sierra SLT, and in the GMC Sierra Denali, and rated at 403 hp (301 kW) and 415 ft·lbf (563 N·m) (441 hp with 93 octane. it is also in the Hummer and in the Cadillac Escalade. Lastly the Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ has it too but with power ratings of 395 hp and 417 ft·lb.

Applications:

2007+ Cadillac Escalade
2007+ GMC Sierra Denali
2008+ Hummer H2

I agree the camshaft in a L99 sucks but it is not VVT - it is DOM aka AFM

Aaahhh... I sincerely hope you don`t do the tuning at your shop and you have a "guy" who does that for you...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #58
GMRULZ

Taken from GM high Tech Performance:

Link:

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...ve-timing.html

This brings us to the L99's other feature that sets it apart from the LS3: Variable Valve Timing (or more appropriately, "dual-equal cam phasing"-intake and exhaust valve timing cannot be altered independently). Though it's been in use for a few years on Gen IV truck engines, the L99 represents the first appearance of VVT in a car application. Consider this: if you've ever "degreed" a cam in a small-block-LS or otherwise-you know that in general, advancing cam timing improves output at low rpm, while retarding cam timing improves high rpm performance. The VVT system is able to continuously vary how the cam is phased in relation to the crankshaft while the engine is running, acting within a fraction of a second. The system therefore allows a best-of-both-worlds approach to output by eliminating the compromise between low-end torque and top-end horsepower inherent in fixed cam timing. This is true regardless of whether you're talking about part- or full-throttle operation. There are other benefits to VVT as well: for example, it allows a smoother idle (via fully advanced valve timing events), and in addition to its own role in increasing fuel economy, it also allows the AFM system to function over a broader operating range.

The front-mounted vane-type camshaft phaser is the heart of the L99's VVT system. Operating off of a varying oil pressure signal, it turns the camshaft relative to the cam sprocket, thereby changing the cam's phase relative to the crankshaft. A so-called actuator solenoid valve is used in lieu of a cam bolt, and it gets its instructions from a corresponding computer-controlled unit mounted in the L99's special front engine cover. Oil-pressurized inside the hollow front portion of the cam thanks to a feed hole in the second journal from the front-acts upon the phaser's vanes. The more oil pressure the actuator solenoid valve permits the vanes to experience, the more the cam is turned. While this setup is from a truck engine, the system found on the L99 will be similar. --->

Read more: http://gmhightechperformance.automot...#ixzz1ItCbppDO

I truly hope w/ have the sales guy for Granatelli and not the Tuner on here...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #59
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Aaahhh... I sincerely hope you don`t do the tuning at your shop and you have a "guy" who does that for you...
Attached Images

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #60
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Taken from GM high Tech Performance:

Link:

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...ve-timing.html

This brings us to the L99's other feature that sets it apart from the LS3: Variable Valve Timing (or more appropriately, "dual-equal cam phasing"-intake and exhaust valve timing cannot be altered independently). Though it's been in use for a few years on Gen IV truck engines, the L99 represents the first appearance of VVT in a car application. Consider this: if you've ever "degreed" a cam in a small-block-LS or otherwise-you know that in general, advancing cam timing improves output at low rpm, while retarding cam timing improves high rpm performance. The VVT system is able to continuously vary how the cam is phased in relation to the crankshaft while the engine is running, acting within a fraction of a second. The system therefore allows a best-of-both-worlds approach to output by eliminating the compromise between low-end torque and top-end horsepower inherent in fixed cam timing. This is true regardless of whether you're talking about part- or full-throttle operation. There are other benefits to VVT as well: for example, it allows a smoother idle (via fully advanced valve timing events), and in addition to its own role in increasing fuel economy, it also allows the AFM system to function over a broader operating range.

The front-mounted vane-type camshaft phaser is the heart of the L99's VVT system. Operating off of a varying oil pressure signal, it turns the camshaft relative to the cam sprocket, thereby changing the cam's phase relative to the crankshaft. A so-called actuator solenoid valve is used in lieu of a cam bolt, and it gets its instructions from a corresponding computer-controlled unit mounted in the L99's special front engine cover. Oil-pressurized inside the hollow front portion of the cam thanks to a feed hole in the second journal from the front-acts upon the phaser's vanes. The more oil pressure the actuator solenoid valve permits the vanes to experience, the more the cam is turned. While this setup is from a truck engine, the system found on the L99 will be similar. --->

Read more: http://gmhightechperformance.automot...#ixzz1ItCbppDO

I truly hope w/ have the sales guy for Granatelli and not the Tuner on here...
Nope I can tune

The L99 is derived from the LS3 with reduced output but adds Active Fuel Management (formerly called Displacement on Demand), which allows it to run on only four cylinders during light load conditions.

Not to be confused with VVT found in the L92 found in the:

2007+ Cadillac Escalade
2007+ GMC Sierra Denali
2008+ Hummer H2

The L92 is also an all aluminum design and while still a pushrod engine, boasts variable valve timing, a first in a mass-produced non-overhead cam V8 engine. The system adjusts both intake and exhaust timing between two settings. This engine produces 402 hp and 417 ft.lbs in the GMC Yukon Denali/XL Denali, Sierra SLT, and in the GMC Sierra Denali, and rated at 403 hp (301 kW) and 415 ft·lbf (563 N·m) (441 hp with 93 octane. it is also in the Hummer and in the Cadillac Escalade. Lastly the Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ has it too but with power ratings of 395 hp and 417 ft·lb.

Applications:

2007+ Cadillac Escalade
2007+ GMC Sierra Denali
2008+ Hummer H2

I agree the camshaft in a L99 sucks but it is not VVT - it is DOM aka AFM - if you or GM Hi Tech wants to call DOM or AFM "VVT" then so be it

My point was more to clarify not being able to tune 80hp into the car like everyone thinks. I could always dyno test on a Dynajet and pick up another 60hp that way
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #61
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
I agree the camshaft in a L99 sucks but it is not VVT - it is DOM aka AFM - if you or GM Hi Tech wants to call DOM or AFM "VVT" then so be it
VVT <> AFM.
L99 = VVT + AFM.
L99(Mod) = (VVT - AFM) or LS3(Conv).
LS3 = NOT (VVT or AFM)

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919

Last edited by Padre; 04-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #62
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
I agree - if I let it cool down and ice down the water in the heat exchanger - i could have tuned it up to 450 . Tom was not looking for ragged edge tuning. I can get Tom 70 more if he wants a water meth system - it will cool the air temps by 30 to 40 for sure plus allow for 4 degrees of timing even with 91 octane - again Tom is not that guy

Ragged edge? Weak would be a better term. Damn near could get to his numbers with a cam and CAI with a good tune. If I could get even 1 hp from your wires, I would pay you double for them. I would even rent dyno time at an independent facility to prove a point. I don't believe a word of any of it. I can have an opinion. Lets line your base turbo kit car with your plug wires up against mine.

Last edited by Huck1974; 04-08-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #63
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
What did he do? Looks like he copy and pasted what he wrote in a previous post. wow, just wow. So I deleted vvt and I never even had it. That's pretty awesome!!!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #64
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
The wire thing has me scratching my head .
So now I presume CAI , exhaust , tune and wires = 100 hp.
Think of the money I could have saved if I knew this a year ago .
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #65
GMRULZ

Quote:
Nope I can tune
So your telling me you can tune a car that you don`t even realize has VVT on it?

God help the L99 you tune...:(

I can tune too, people just might not like the results... I may not be a tuner, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I do remember you MAF`s you used to make for the LT1, leaned my LT1 out so bad it was knocking on 93 octane, and that was on a car w/ nothing more than a flowmaster muffler at the time. At least you realize it was better to stick w/ the Edelbrock tune this time around.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #66
Andrew@SPItuning

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
So I am sure you have a point?

Wow, yes Jannetty and many others have a point and a reason to comment on the things you say and try to prove. A set of Granatelli plug wires will arrive at SPi Wednesday. We are really swamped on the dyno, but as soon as we have some free time we will run some tests on these wires on our Procharged shop car. Will probably have to be late one night this week, but we will try to get some real world results for everybody. Stay tuned guys, should be interesting.
If these wires make 20 to the tire on our shop car..............Granatelli will make millions on them.
Andrew@SPItuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #67
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Perceptions View Post
Wow, yes Jannetty and many others have a point and a reason to comment on the things you say and try to prove. A set of Granatelli plug wires will arrive at SPi Wednesday. We are really swamped on the dyno, but as soon as we have some free time we will run some tests on these wires on our Procharged shop car. Will probably have to be late one night this week, but we will try to get some real world results for everybody. Stay tuned guys, should be interesting.
If these wires make 20 to the tire on our shop car..............Granatelli will make millions on them.
Why even waste your time. There is no way plug wires will make 20 rwhp, ever. We are still waiting for the l99 having no vvt explanation. Then we can worry about magical plug wires and unicorns!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #68
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Granatelli looks like he doesn't know what he is talking about, his comments make never want to buy or deal with him at all. to the op i would really consider taking you car to another shop that knows more about these cars and engines and let them take a look at everything and see if their is more power to be had. but if you are happy with what you have then stay with it, but i know for me i would be going else where and seeing what they can do
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #69
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Er...umm...So your supercharged...and making only 420rwhp (am I reading this right?) Hmmm....don't know what to tell you. lol
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #70
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I'm amazed at some of the comments posted in here....

Not all cars are the same, not all dynos read the same.. a mustang dyno is a superior tuning tool, usually always read much lower than the freewheeling dynojet.... air quality and altitude have a great effect on the power being made... there are a ton of variables from one result to another.. I find the honesty of the results refreshing... you don't see honest results that aren't spectacular very often.. or if you do you usually see a blame game from the shop and OP blaming everyone but themselves.

Not all results are going to be the same, is there a reason for these results ? is there something overlooked ? If your intention is to help then you look at those things and make suggestions as such... you don't sit there and critique and slam people over it...

Some of the co called experts ( apparently anyone with a blower is an expert) in here posting have done stuff that a first year student at SAM racing learns to never do as it a formula for failure... so ... lets keep it helpful
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote