Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #183
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I said the fastest COPO model is 1 second faster than the Demon so I am not stating the Demon is faster. What I am stating is that it is faster than the entry level COPO (6.2L), equal to the mid level COPO (7.0l), and a second slower than the top end COPO. However, the COPO has to be trailered to the strip, you or I will never be able to own one as they only make 69 a year, and does not have the option to throw in a passenger and rear seat (for $1), run on pump gas OR race fuel (with the flip of a switch), or allow you to take it to the local cruise in on Friday night.

Make no mistake, I am a Chevy guy but I can concede when another manufacturer OWNS a specific performance market and the Demon pretty much just ripped that out of everyone's hand, including TESLA for 0-60. Imagine what Dodge could have delivered if it went the COPO route? Low 8's? High 7's? The fact that they can run mid 9's in a car the passes emissions and required safety elements AND will build 3000 of them simply says to me that there is a new sheriff in town for the strip and that the COPO's approach to the market has been shown to be antiquated.
Are there not drag racing rules applying to the COPO?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #184
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
Biggest downfall for sales of this car will be two seater car...they just lost half the marketplace just to save some weight...not a smart move on their part...

Beast of a car but sales will be harder as a two seater ONLY car. At least with the ZL1, Z/28 or Hellcat you have a four seater...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeyer2010 View Post
I caught most of the live stream before falling asleep but i could have sworn they mentioned the option for rear seats for just $1.00. Seeing as how anyone buying this car firsthand will be custom ordering it, i think the potential lack of rear seats is a mute point.
What I heard was the passenger seat and rear seat were eliminated to save weight but can be added for $1.00 each.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #185
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/homepage.do?mid=1

808hp on 91octane
Bonderant driving school included
Passenger and rear seat add for $1
Harmon Karrdon radio add available.

Very cool looking trunk pic in press release.
Seems that Frank Hawleys drag racing school would have been better choice than Bonderant.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #186

Drives: Getaway Special
Thumbs up

Well, the Demon won't be accessible to the majority of the public due to folks who buy them to scalp them, along with gouging dealers with ADM. It is awesome for sure and checks every possible street drag car box EVER! It proves GM is holding back. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in their strategy sessions.

So, Demonesque will be Factory Top Tier segment killer. ZL1, Corvette, Hellcat, GT 500 will be 2nd Tier (in drag segment) with regards to street/strip cred. The masses will live in the second tier and have to adjust their egos and expectations. Kinda like being high middle class vs.... And enjoy the amazing qualities and joy Tier 2 delivers.

Likely not many will see these in person. Those who will plunk down the $$$ for them will certainly get PERMAGRIN DELUXE!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #187

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
Hopefully it comes as a warrantied stage kit so the current zl1 owners dont get left out.
Yes, but the cost will rise accordingly and likely be very thin on availability. What would you do if you had a live order not yet delivered?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #188
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
I said the fastest COPO model is 1 second faster than the Demon so I am not stating the Demon is faster. What I am stating is that it is faster than the entry level COPO (6.2L), equal to the mid level COPO (7.0l), and a second slower than the top end COPO. However, the COPO has to be trailered to the strip, you or I will never be able to own one as they only make 69 a year, and does not have the option to throw in a passenger and rear seat (for $1), run on pump gas OR race fuel (with the flip of a switch), or allow you to take it to the local cruise in on Friday night.

Make no mistake, I am a Chevy guy but I can concede when another manufacturer OWNS a specific performance market and the Demon pretty much just ripped that out of everyone's hand, including TESLA for 0-60. Imagine what Dodge could have delivered if it went the COPO route? Low 8's? High 7's? The fact that they can run mid 9's in a car the passes emissions and required safety elements AND will build 3000 of them simply says to me that there is a new sheriff in town for the strip and that the COPO's approach to the market has been shown to be antiquated.
They did and still do. It's called the drag pack. Runs very similar times to the COPO because it has to. They are for a specific class of racing. I will agree that no one should be pointing to the COPO as a competitor to this. Ford and Dodge already have that covered with the Cobra Jet and Drag Pack. The fact that they will pass some sort of emissions tests with this thing and offer a warranty makes it a different animal. Yeah, if you just want to go fast at the track and aren't worried about having to trailer it, you could buy a COPO or CJ or Drag pack but the Demon can be driven to the track or the car show which is pretty cool.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #189
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762CAT View Post
Hellcat sales are probably past 30k now. 8k in 2015 alone and double that in 2016

Serial number 001 sold for over 800k at Barret Jackson....wonder if they will do the same with the Demon. I'd bet on north of 1 million if they do.

People will pay to be first I guess....car MSRPs for the mid to high 60's now.....
My buddy at work (hellcat owner) said he thought it was around 40k. Way more than I realized. The 3300 number makes more sense based on that. He is going this afternoon to put a deposit down. He plans to try to sell it for a profit as the dealership has agreed to sell it to him at MSRP. We will see. Pretty impressive.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #190
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Seems that Frank Hawleys drag racing school would have been better choice than Bonderant.
Yeah I was kinda scratching my head at that one.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #191
oakaro68

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I have to agree with mkorgan. Demon is an absolute beast. I'm extremely happy Dodge came out with this. Never would I have thought a performance car of this level would be rolling out from the factory doing wheelies...!!! Props to Mopar.
oakaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #192
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Really not a Fiat fan but god dam is SRT laying down the line, literally and figuratively. We cant deny while driving our cars (stock) you see a hell cat and think... "no". See the demon and think "Hell no." (See what I did there.) Dodge has the undisputed Guinness record holding car now and that should light a fire under Chevy and ford. Although I have to say every v6 and r/t owner is going to get that demon hood before the year is out watch.
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #193
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
Not events. Any NHRA track, any weekend, will boot your ass. They screwed up bigtime by not putting a 6 point cage in it from the factory.

If your stupid enough to run a car this fast without a proper cage....your Darwin award awaits you. My guess is we will see more than a few Darwin's handed out.
Thy won't boot you if you keep your et in check and the car does come with rollbar mounts.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #194
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:

The Demon will likely have to be trailered home. LMAO!!!
I give the Italians all the credit in the world for countering Chevy and Ford with this car. Their marketing is brilliant and in 10 years this car will pay big dividends for the investment. It's a money maker.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #195
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
1. the 840 is misleading, that is on race fuel
2. as others have pointed out...a 9 second car = a bunch of required NHRA required equipment to run at the track.
3. While this is street legal, again IMO Dodge is pandering to the "HP is the only thing that matters" crowd. They bumped it up 100 HP with a larger blower = BFD.
4. The design is outdated (1970's), the chassis is still outdated.

It's a cool car, and if you are wanting that one trick pony, and yes it's the best at that one trick, then by all means, go and get it, it's awesome.

I do think that GM hamstrung themselves just a bit by leveraging the LT4 in the Camaro (but this did keep the costs down). The Corvette can't fit a tall motor, which is what the HC motor is...it's tall with a tall blower on it. The Camaro probably could have been better served with a 2.3 or hell, 2.9 liter blower, but then it would have more power than the corvette so....

Anyway, sorry the current Challenger platform is just not my cup of tea, as cool as it is.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #196
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
This is like the Z28 IMO...you can drive it on the street as a daily...but its not the best for it.
Chevy made a damn good track car, dodge made a damn good track car, just different tracks.
Yep ^ I think it is awesome they built this car. Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762CAT View Post
Well you can still take it to the track.....just not an NHRA certified event. My home track doesn't batt an eye at cars running 9's during test and tunes. Safe...unsafe..right...wrong... Not for this discussion.

I agree they should have just caged the damn thing but they instead used the middle finger to the NHRA as more marketing and image hype for their Halo car to sell other cars and further the image of their in your face brand. Win for dodge..loss for us...but if you can afford the Demon the extra scratch for the cage is not that much. Most unfortunately with only 3000 produced and ADM the majority will end up garaged.
They probably should have put a cage in it. Most NHRA tracks would maybe let someone make 1 pass before kicking them out, I think another poster made a post about Route 66 in Joliet, they probably wouldn't let the car pass tech.

IHRA tracks on the other hand, from my experience they are normally really soft on enforcing the rules. For better or worse they can probably run them down IHRA tracks.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote