Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
Thanks for the info that makes me feel better. I was unaware of the testing the lsa went through. And I agree with everything you said about both cars. I feel better now. I just had a ranting moment.
I'm leaving out a lot more details because I've forgotten some of them, and I'm not sure about the rest in my head, but also know LSA is sold as a marine engine, too, if I'm not mistaken. Those are built STOUT!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #58
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
but also know LSA is sold as a marine engine, too, if I'm not mistaken. Those are built STOUT!!!
You're right! Here ya go:

Webpage
youtube video

Me wants!!!
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #59
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
While I agree (wishing for forged instead of hyper'), everyone is quick to write-off the tests LSA went through; even higher than what LS9 had to go through, if I remember correctly. While I won't for a second believe it's as stout as the GT500 shortblock, I don't know that it's GM's responsibility to build a car with obscene upgrade potential. It seems to me that probably a lot, if not most of the development money for the GT500 went into the motor, and that left a lot of the rest of the car on the back burner. Until recently, the only good thing it was good for was straightline; it's improved, but even the BOSS handles better, and it's cheaper. If I'm remotely right in that thinking, I don't believe it's wrong for GM to have saved some money on an engine that doesn't have near 1000 horse' potential (stock) and instead, give it reasonable build-ability and share that savings with other systems and features on the car. Maybe it's because I'm trying to make justifications in my mind, but I don't need a 1000 horsepower potential shortblock. I'd rather have magnetic ride and excellent brakes along with the aerodynamic features ZL1 has.

That's just MVHO though.
Agreed completely!! Couldn't have said it better, myself.

Reasonable mod-ability...completely ridiculous factory reliability and value in stock form.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget about the oil jets inside of the engine focused on the bottom of those pistons. This engine is quite a marvel of engineering if I may be so bold to say so...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #60
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.

Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
LSA = WIN
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #61
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
You're right! Here ya go:

Webpage
youtube video

Me wants!!!
2?!!! OH MAN!!! That's sweet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Agreed completely!! Couldn't have said it better, myself.

Reasonable mod-ability...completely ridiculous factory reliability and value in stock form.

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget about the oil jets inside of the engine focused on the bottom of those pistons. This engine is quite a marvel of engineering if I may be so bold to say so...
People look right to the pistons and complain, while forgetting the rest of the upgrades, like the squirters, head gaskets, specific heads, and a bunch of the rest of the goodies. Yes - I'd rather have a totally forged bottom end, and I think that's more for bragging rights than anything, because how many GT500 owners, on the whole, really push the limits of the shortblock? Probably not the majority. Regardless, I completely agree the technology in LSA (and LS9 for that matter) really make it reliable and will probably be an easy match for the performance expectations of the majority of ZL1 owners.

JMVHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorable MPG1975 View Post
LSA = WIN
^^^ this ^^^

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #62
|BLACKSS|

Drives: BLACK 1SS
Its my fault for ranting before I researched the lsa engine. Thanks guys for doing the leg work for me. I have learned alot about the lsa from this thread. At first I thought the pistons were stock ls3 pistons.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #63
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
Its my fault for ranting before I researched the lsa engine. Thanks guys for doing the leg work for me. I have learned alot about the lsa from this thread. At first I thought the pistons were stock ls3 pistons.
I certainly don't fault you for thinking that. I believe those are one of the many common misconceptions about LSA. People still think it's just LS3 with a TVS 1900 on top, and have no idea everything that goes into LSA. From top-to-bottom, it's reengineered or new from LS3.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #64
FreddyG

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
Gorgeous Vee and Congrats on the new power! Please Drive Safely!
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #65
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Reason GM uses the hyper' pistons especially on the LSA is that they are much quieter operating piston versus a forged piston as the forged pistons require more clearance. Considering the LSA was in a CTS-V first witch is a luxury sedan I'm sure GM wanted to keep the engine as "mechanically" quiet as possible. You also get better emissions and less oil consumption with a hyper' piston.

I stand behind this statement, "I truly believe GM builds the BEST engines on the planet"!!! Thats including japanese and european.

GM engines, especially the LS series of engines are light weight, make BIG POWER and are tougher than anyone elses engines by far

Bring on the ZL-1 !!!!!!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #66
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
Better leave the traction control turned on or this might happen

HaHa...just goes to show you deep pockets don't mean you can drive..haha. wanker.Ha ha.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #67
hv92

Drives: .
or you could visit cadillacforums....