Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #449
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The frunk will be taken up by the hybrid system driving the front wheels in the top end spec...
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #450
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I like the golf club stat lol. I also find it funny the mid engine C8 can fit two full sets of clubs and the Camaro cant fit 1.
I don't know what Camaro you're talking about. I've loaded my Camaro up with a 4-gun gun cart, 3 rifles, 3 shotguns, 6 revolvers, 2,000 rounds of ammo, a big range bag, a canvas tool bag, 3 sets of belts and holsters, 3 cowboy hats and an overnight bag (large) and still had room for my wife, me and my middle son to go on a 4 hour road trip, comfortably.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #451
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I don't know what Camaro you're talking about. I've loaded my Camaro up with a 4-gun gun cart, 3 rifles, 3 shotguns, 6 revolvers, 2,000 rounds of ammo, a big range bag, a canvas tool bag, 3 sets of belts and holsters, 3 cowboy hats and an overnight bag (large) and still had room for my wife, me and my middle son to go on a 4 hour road trip, comfortably.
It's well documented here that a golf bag with a standard size driver doesn't fit in the trunk of a Camaro. Driver needs to be removed from the bag
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #452
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
My gripe since they first shown the C8 was there was not enough info on performance numbers . I would like to know at least how they achieved the sub 3 seconds 0 to 60 times . Almost everyone I talked to about the C8 believes it’s a sub 3 second car for under $60k . That whole show they put on was just a bunch of crap really, I all got from it was it can hold two sets of golf clubs and everything else is unknown. Kinda shady if you ask me .
I doubt seriously that it has anything to do with being shady, more likely it's because the numbers are still in flux; they're still working on fine-tuning them. You can be sure as soon as they have hard, fixed numbers they can brag about, they will.

I think the misunderstanding about sub 3 seconds was the way it was worded, it was something like "...with models below 3 seconds..." or something to that effect. It didn't say the base model would, just "models" which means more powerful ones that haven't been announced yet, and aren't going to be below $60k.

The only way the base model could get below 3 seconds 0-60 is through gearing in the transaxle. It's the same trick guys use with front engine drive, where they change the gear ratio in the differential. The C8 transaxle is both the trans and the diff, so it's possible they could do some tricks with gearing. They may even be still testing and playing around with gear ratios, trying to find the ideal combo which would explain why they haven't given final numbers yet.

The vast majority of people who are going to buy these, could probably care less about these details. Only enthusiasts do, and I predict it won't have any effect on sales. Unless manufacturing screws it up, it appears the Corvette team has hit a grand slam home run.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #453
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

I get a kick out of all the hypothesizing on here. Nobody knows what this car will do except the few people who've driven one on a track, and maybe not them. You can guesstimate all you want about hp losses, weight, extrapolating what the 1/4 mile time might be based on what 0-60 is. Bottom line nobody knows and GM ain't providing the numbers. Read into that what you will.

For my money if they really wanted a supercar they wouldn't drop an engine developing less than 500 hp into it and then rely on improved efficiencies to get supercar performance. Why not just slap a supercharger on it and get closer to 600 hp AND all these supposed efficiencies? It's not like they don't have the parts bin to yank that stuff out of. I think it's because the supercharger is a big part to the problems C7s had with overheating.

Speaking of which, I predict the C8 will have the same problem C7s do on the track. Overheating. The C7 can't get proper air flow due to that tight front end, and I don't see a lot of opportunities to get air to this engine either. Dropping the supercharger will probably help, but they should have trashed the Roots and put in a Whipple. Then maybe you have a supercar.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #454
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
A local Chevy dealer sold all 90 of their 2020 Corvette allocations in a 31 minute time frame, all at MSRP so it's going to be a while before people get their new cars. While the C8 is a game changer for that class of vehicle it offers and opportunit for Chevy to improve the appeal of the Camaro to the masses. I
hope they take advantage of it but I am beginning to have concern about the direction of GM. The Corvette is a great reference to how to make a car people want. If you build what people want, they will buy it but keep production here not in China.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #455
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I get a kick out of all the hypothesizing on here. Nobody knows what this car will do except the few people who've driven one on a track, and maybe not them. You can guesstimate all you want about hp losses, weight, extrapolating what the 1/4 mile time might be based on what 0-60 is. Bottom line nobody knows and GM ain't providing the numbers. Read into that what you will.

For my money if they really wanted a supercar they wouldn't drop an engine developing less than 500 hp into it and then rely on improved efficiencies to get supercar performance. Why not just slap a supercharger on it and get closer to 600 hp AND all these supposed efficiencies? It's not like they don't have the parts bin to yank that stuff out of. I think it's because the supercharger is a big part to the problems C7s had with overheating.

Speaking of which, I predict the C8 will have the same problem C7s do on the track. Overheating. The C7 can't get proper air flow due to that tight front end, and I don't see a lot of opportunities to get air to this engine either. Dropping the supercharger will probably help, but they should have trashed the Roots and put in a Whipple. Then maybe you have a supercar.
This is the BASE car. Just imagine what the mid and top tier performers will do.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #456
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
This is the BASE car. Just imagine what the mid and top tier performers will do.
It's all imagining right now. We're just taking GM's word for it that it will do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. This is not the base either. It's the base with an upgrade. That's like saying my 1LE is a base SS.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #457
undy

Drives: 2020 2SS vert (ordered)
The claimed "sub 3 seconds" was accomplished with the Z51 package. There's been several reports that the sub 3 second has equated to a 2.8 sec. The Z51 package offers a 3.80 ratio E-diff versus the base car's 3.61 ratio limited slip. Also responsible for the better time is 5 more HP/torque (accomplished with true headers and bi-modal exhaust) and much stickier tires. The rest are better brakes, a HD cooling system, spoiler and splitter.
undy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #458
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
The claimed "sub 3 seconds" was accomplished with the Z51 package. There's been several reports that the sub 3 second has equated to a 2.8 sec. The Z51 package offers a 3.80 ratio E-diff versus the base car's 3.61 ratio limited slip. Also responsible for the better time is 5 more HP/torque (accomplished with true headers and bi-modal exhaust) and much stickier tires. The rest are better brakes, a HD cooling system, spoiler and splitter.
Factory option headers is pretty cool. I'm surprised they went that far for the 5 horsepower.
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #459
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
The claimed "sub 3 seconds" was accomplished with the Z51 package. There's been several reports that the sub 3 second has equated to a 2.8 sec. The Z51 package offers a 3.80 ratio E-diff versus the base car's 3.61 ratio limited slip
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-9070.pdf

The Z51 is a road race trans it may have closer gear ratios and hence needs a steeper final drive to offer the same overall performance… not MORE performance
3.24 x 3.62 = 11.73 and 3.14x 3.8 =11.93 that is sub 2% right??? or 1 MPH difference per the same engine RPM...

5 HP is for a muffler valve IMO
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #460
undy

Drives: 2020 2SS vert (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post

The Z51 is a road race trans it may have closer gear ratios and hence needs a steeper final drive to offer the same overall performance… not MORE performance
3.24 x 3.62 = 11.73 and 3.14x 3.8 =11.93 that is sub 2% right??? or 1 MPH difference per the same engine RPM...

It's an 8 speed DCT tranny, not 7.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...h-transmission.

The Z51 has the tubular equal length headers VS to base model's cast iron manifolds. That makes the MOST difference on the 5HP increase.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...but-different/

I have one on order and have done a ton of research.
undy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #461
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
Some of you are failing to realize that when the DCT changes gears, it does so WITHOUT a loss of power. THIS is why it will out accelerate a similarly equipped vehicle that is using a conventional transmission. Like someone stated before, you need to change your way of thinking. This is why my AWD 3600 lb, 470 WHP Golf R can run 3 second 0-60 times and run 10.8 quarter miles.
Some of us realize the A10 switches gears faster than the PDK DCT.

Some of us also realize the golf R gets its acceleration performance with improved tire grip from AWD, not just a DCT.

Those of us who are failing to realize how tire-to-road friction relates to 0-60 times need to watch this:

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #462
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post

Most likely it has the same ratios besides the final drive. The FD difference is all GM has mentioned for it as well as far as I've seen.

And there would be zero reason to change ratios to offset the shorter final drive. Literally no reason. If they did so why bother changing it at all...
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.

Last edited by Dave-ROR; 08-07-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote