Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #15
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
OP, i understand your frustrations but it is hard to argue that if older models with low mileage are selling for prices similar to MSRP, then a brand new car for MSRP is a good deal right now.

The dealer knows that if you don't buy, someone else will and probably for more. So if you really want the car, get it before it is gone. While I believe that businesses should honor their deals, dealerships are in to make money.. as much as they can when they can.. and right now it is a seller's market and you probably already know.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #16
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitniko25 View Post
Ordered my Camaro in January 2021 2ss1le. It's the 5th car purchased from them and just bought a new truck in February from them after I ordered this car. They told me the same thing as usual they will hook me up on the car when it comes. Well it's here and they are making me pay sticker for it now. No bigger guys getting back to me and the finance lady told me that they said that they're getting sticker right now for cars so that's what they're selling it at. It's for the wife and not to mention we gave them the lease 2 months early SRT charger with only 16,000 mi on the 36,000 mi lease. So you know they made all kinds of money on that
If you value your money, and you can differentiate a decent car deal vs getting hung out to dry, then you will understand that this is not the time to buy a new car. No new vehicle is worth its current asking price. Imagine you purchase new this year, and car prices come back down to normal next year. You would be making payments on the most quickly depreciating asset you have ever owned. You would be so upside-down on your loan in just one year that not even GAP insurance would help you. Avoid purchasing a new car at this time, unless you enjoy overpaying for things.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #17
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
I'm aware of the pandemic ,but I'm also aware there is no shortage of pickups or suvs, in fact GM is offering 0% for 72 months on them. So I guess they're kinda choosing where the shortage will be. I believe ford did the same with the mustang.
Kinda sucks if you ask me.

I also did order one with dealer last week. Its very bad timing but i need a car. So my best bet was go with bare bone (less options possible) because time isnt like before where we got 5k off from MSRP and options wont give damm when time to sell.

I think 2022 ones roll out end of year, hopefully GM gives out some rebates for end of year sale.

July is coming, manufacturers updates on their rebates/offers. Might want to try push few more days?
Old 06-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #18

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
This was an interesting tid-bit from a news article...

World-wide automakers are losing billions and billions of dollars from being unable to produce vehicles to meet demand. US production is about a million or so vehicles behind demand...

Good luck. I would suggest don't buy anything now, just wait, but the situation will likely not improve at all for quite a while. I thought I would never say this, but I would sympathize with the dealers a little bit. There is just not enough inventory for them to play their usual games or offer any real deals....lol

From the article....:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...21/7688773002/

In May, global consulting firm AlixPartners in Southfield said the chip shortages could cost the global auto industry $110 billion for the year.

GM CEO Mary Barra has said the shortage could cost GM up to $2 billion in lost earnings this year. Barra said GM expected chip supplies to return to normal in the second half of the year.

The Alliance for Auto Innovation, the trade group that represents automakers, said the shortage could hurt auto production for another six months and result in 1.28 million fewer vehicles being made in the U.S. this year.

So it is critical for automakers to get as many chips as possible to keep assembly lines moving to mitigate losses.

More:Bad quarter and year as auto industry to lose billions from chip deficit

It remains unclear whether automakers might be able to make up that production and any revenue losses over time, Krebs said.

"The losses are being offset by higher vehicle prices and less expense," Krebs said. "Almost every automaker in every region has been forced to make production cuts. As a result, inventories are extremely low while consumer demand is extremely high. That means vehicle prices are high."

In the first week of June, the average listing price of a new vehicle was $40,566, up nearly $200 from the prior week. The average listing price was 5.5% above last year, and 10.3% above the same week in 2019, Krebs said.

Used car prices are also high because with new cars not moving, trade-ins aren't happening creating a shortage ofused cars. too. The average listing price for a used vehicle was $23,786, up nearly $340 from the prior week, Krebs said. Prices are running 22% above 2020 and 2019 levels, she said.

Why is my vehicle delayed because of chips?
Many automakers have idled factories and stopped making some vehicles altogether so as to ship whatever chips they can get to more in-demand highly profitable vehicles such as pickups and SUVs. Also, GM and Ford Motor Co. are building the vehicles without the chips, then parking them to await the part. Once the chips arrive, those vehicles are put through final assembly and shipped to dealers. But the delay can be weeks.

In the meantime, supply of new vehicles is at an all-time low, Krebs said. Used supply is slowly rising due to a slowing sales pace. These trends likely will continue over the coming weeks since there is little that could change the current situation, Krebs said.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:37 AM   #19
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I'd find a car that hasn't appreciated in price at this point and buy that for time being until it normalizes.

You probably should've bought out the Charger and sold it.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #20
LT1ornothing

[QUOTE=ChefBorOzzy;11031315]I'd find a car that hasn't appreciated in price at this point and buy that for time being until it normalizes.

You probably should've bought out the Charger and sold it.[
/QUOTE]

Yea, the dealer is really trying to double down on the OP: first on his lease, now on his purchase, smh...
Old 06-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #21
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
If you value your money, and you can differentiate a decent car deal vs getting hung out to dry, then you will understand that this is not the time to buy a new car. No new vehicle is worth its current asking price. Imagine you purchase new this year, and car prices come back down to normal next year. You would be making payments on the most quickly depreciating asset you have ever owned. You would be so upside-down on your loan in just one year that not even GAP insurance would help you. Avoid purchasing a new car at this time, unless you enjoy overpaying for things.
Im sure it will go more than a year or maybe we will never go back to normal. New car shortage now but after 2 or 3 years, there wont be enough used. Maybe lease now might be better deal than financing.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #22
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Im sure it will go more than a year or maybe we will never go back to normal. New car shortage now but after 2 or 3 years, there wont be enough used. Maybe lease now might be better deal than financing.
Agree. Waiting to normalize is a guessing game. It could be soon or later. There will be long lead materials that will limit how much new can be made out of the factory.. the chips are the most commonly known but I bet other parts are taking longer than ever to be delivered to GM and other auto makers.

So while new production will continue, will it be the same supply at before? Will price become higher from the OEM given that buyers are willing to pay more for used and then most likely for new?

I didn't want to play this game so i purchased about a month ago. Did I pay more than what I would have been earlier in the year? Yes. But I had a trade that i made money on so overall i made the right decision for my case. I also had a large down payment so even if the market goes back, my value won't be upside down.

Back to the OP point, i would consider how much you want the car versus what you are willing to pay. Sounds like you buy cars often so i am going to assume you buy the sports/muscle cars for fun.. only you can make that decision and feel good about the outcome

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #23
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
As soon as supply catches up to demand, the prices will come back down, it is mostly the chip shortage holding supply back. Once you have at least 6 months of production with no hiccups, things will begin to normalize. Also, there will be a huge shift happening this summer that will affect all businesses. With federal assistance expiring for most this summer, there is going to be a whole lot less cash available to make car payments, repos are going to shoot up and the market will become flooded with used cars again. That should slowly drive vehicle values down so long as new vehicle production continues as it once did prior to the pandemic.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #24
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
You are forgetting one big detail - your average consumer is a blithering moron who purchases cars on 96 month terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko
They told me the same thing as usual they will hook me up on the car when it comes. Well it's here and they are making me pay sticker for it now.
Did you sign a contract on a price or just trust them on good faith and their word? Dealerships are there to make money, not to cut you deals.

Quote:
No bigger guys getting back to me and the finance lady told me that they said that they're getting sticker right now for cars so that's what they're selling it at.
Completely within their right. Basic supply and demand.

Quote:
It's for the wife and not to mention we gave them the lease 2 months early SRT charger with only 16,000 mi on the 36,000 mi lease. So you know they made all kinds of money on that
Sounds like a business making money off poor decisions by their customers.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #25
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I've never ordered a car, but when you put in the order isn't there some kind of written agreement about the price?
Ordered a 550 in April, might be built in September, the order agreement listed the price (window minus discounts) & had a disclaimer the price was not guaranteed, but I could decline purchasing & get the deposit back.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #26
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
That Sucks, but some dealers are marking cars up by thousands. I was looking to buy and as soon as I asked about using my suppliers discount, all communication stopped, It's sticker price or nothing. I guess the customers are supposed to pay for GM's failure to have a steady supply of parts.
Quote:
I'm aware of the pandemic ,but I'm also aware there is no shortage of pickups or suvs, in fact GM is offering 0% for 72 months on them. So I guess they're kinda choosing where the shortage will be. I believe ford did the same with the mustang.
GM sold less than 30,000 Camaro’s in 2020. Kinda makes sense that they would prioritize their higher volume, higher profit vehicles?
Old 06-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #27
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
When I ordered my car the sales contract was made and the price agreed on at that time. If you don't have a contract then you can walk away. I am sure they will get full sticker on it but you need to decide if that's what you want to pay. I am sure once this chip shortage ends and inventory is back to normal in a year discounts will return.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #28
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Not sure if it will ever get back to normal since the carmakers shift to EV vehicles now starting up. Hopefully times will be better in the near future for the Camaro.