Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
Unhappy BURNING OIL??

I just completed my break-in and have 1500 miles on the car. My car is a six speed. I noticed that when all is said and done I burned a half quart of oil (2013 white). I have owned every hot cars Chevy Evermade going back to the 60s. To me running a half quart of oil in 1500 miles Is just not acceptable and I think I know what's coming with this engine. I broke the car in as recommended and did not do any fussing around of any sort of. My question is: can you at this point run a compression test on each cylinder And tell if the rings are seated in each cylinder properly? Are there any optics that you can use the stuff down the spark plug hole to visualize the cylinder? In short is there anything I can do except Drive and watch well consumption.? Any answers would be much appreciated. The only thing I won't do is fuss around with the weight of the oil.

I know how stinky GM is about oil burning and replacing things. I realize that they will tell me after 1/2 quart is nothing and wait until you get down to 500 miles per quart. This is just another example of GM type crap. FYI I added dye to the oil as they do at the dealership so nI can spot any other leaks (none) and to be able to read the dipstick more easily(the dipstick on this car is a issue for a entire new thread---with its two dinky rivets)

Again I realize One half quart at 1500 miles is not a big deal but for those of you who are familiar with GM engines you know what's coming.
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
rtg

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I believe you are making an issue where one does not exist. I to have owned plenty of new GM vehicles. 1/2 quart in 1500 miles is not an issue. It is not a predictor of oil consumption.

You need to monitor over a longer period.

Did you check the level when you picked it up?

Rob
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....real quick reply, I changed my own oil at approx. 1,600 miles...noticed on the stick prior to doing so it was by my estimation one half quart low on oil. I never added any up to that point, and never really stressed over checking it because it was such a sound setup. I had a very high confidence level in the quality and workmanship of this machine. I did not baby it, nor did I abuse it. Since it was a new build break-in period with an S/C I considered the use to be normal.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
cbass

Drives: .
Half a quart of oil on a brand new engine at 1500 miles wouldn't concern me. I would see what oil consumption is at 10K miles.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I wouldnt be happy about it using oil either, but as others have said you really need to put some more miles on it and keep an eye on the oil. I've had Hondas that used oil for the first several thousand miles and eventually slacked off. Just because it may have used some oil during the first 1600 miles, doesn't mean it won't stop.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I wouldnt be happy about it using oil either, but as others have said you really need to put some more miles on it and keep an eye on the oil. I've had Hondas that used oil for the first several thousand miles and eventually slacked off. Just because it may have used some oil during the first 1600 miles, doesn't mean it won't stop.
Ask the CTS-V crowd about break in and oil useage during the same window. We share the identical engine. Mentioning a Honda gives no parallel insight .
Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
What does the CTSV crowd say about burning oil during breakin?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I'm kinda surprised at the responses, I'm with the OP, having owned 10 corvettes, 3 C6's, one SC'd, one twin turbo, many silverados, I have never & I mean never owned a car that lost this much oil & I honestly would not accept this. Hell, my 71' El Camino does not burn/lose that kinda oil.
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
I think your oil consumption is a notable amount. Mine has lost zero oil on the dipstick in 1800km.
I would suggest at the very least, having the dealer under warranty do a leakdown test to ease your mind. It is not leaking so it must be burning it.
Your breakin method may be different from mine (don't want to start a flame war)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Mentioning a Honda gives no parallel insight .
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

I don't have a clue. But a compression and leakdown test might make you feel better.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
OldScoolCamaro

...splitting hairs here about what, no oil consumption during break in? Really? Wouldn't stand for it? Really? Thats the voice of a voice only wanting to hear it's own voice for self gratification. Nitpicking about a hi performance engine, close tollerances, and synthetic oil. Break in has much to do with it, the warranty is lengthy.....it can take some time for these to settle in, those who don't get...well...don't get it. Run the damn thing.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...splitting hairs here about what, no oil consumption during break in? Really? Wouldn't stand for it? Really? Thats the voice of a voice only wanting to hear it's own voice for self gratification. Nitpicking about a hi performance engine, close tollerances, and synthetic oil. Break in has much to do with it, the warranty is lengthy.....it can take some time for these to settle in, those who don't get...well...don't get it. Run the damn thing.
Nuff said really.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
OldScoolCamaro