Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #43
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
The entire supercharger module sits inside the V shaped area between the cylinder banks, so the engine is fl at and meets pedestrian safety regulations. The total weight of the module is 39 lb (18 kg) (excluding coolant).

The power consumption of the supercharger module is between 2 and 50 hp, epending on engine speed.
Seems pretty light? Interesting info there?

Found this today... http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/925803_3.0V6TFSIengine.pdf

Lots of decent info about some of the workings, and systems of this Audi unit.. Aside from mounting, I'll need to figure out a proper pcv setup (That bung looking thing on the bottom of the unit is a pcv inlet into the super charger.), and figure out a way towork the bypass valve... Looks like it might just take a 0-5v signal to open close.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #44
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Seems pretty light? Interesting info there?

Found this today... http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/925803_3.0V6TFSIengine.pdf

Lots of decent info about some of the workings, and systems of this Audi unit.. Aside from mounting, I'll need to figure out a proper pcv setup (That bung looking thing on the bottom of the unit is a pcv inlet into the super charger.), and figure out a way towork the bypass valve... Looks like it might just take a 0-5v signal to open close.
Haha I posted that link a few days ago!
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #45
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymaro View Post
Haha I posted that link a few days ago!
Oops, I must have forgotten about it and when I started doing more research when the Audi unit showed up today got excited again when I stumbled upon it through searching the interwebs...

So the stock Audi pulley measures appx 2.8", and with a 6" pulley on the LFX it should make about 7.9psi boost spinning the sc to ~15,451 rpms which would put it in about it's 65% efficiency range. I really feel like the 1320 is undersized for an LFX engine based on this math.

Seems like absolute max boost with a 1320 would be 12psi, and you'd be running the SC at about 18,200 rpms in about the 55% efficiency range.

Hopefully the bricks are extra efficient in this thing. I drew up and cut out all of the flanges I need for the intake today. I'll have to take some measurements off of the supercharger, and the engine to figure out the offset of the flanges to get the drive to line up, and then build some sort of fixture so I can begin trying to fit the tubes to the offset flanges.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #46
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #47
aja342

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS M6
Any progress?
aja342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #48
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I just don't see the 1320 being a good super for this car, seems like you'd be spinning the crap out of it. That 1900 wants to be used!
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #49
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
This makes me very very happy. You would have many buyers for this unit. It would be such an easy install and wouldnt need any supporting mods. Great work man.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #50
aja342

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I just don't see the 1320 being a good super for this car, seems like you'd be spinning the crap out of it. That 1900 wants to be used!

I doubt the build will ever make uber power. But it will be a huge gain for a relatively modest investment. If it will fit.
aja342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #51
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja342 View Post
I doubt the build will ever make uber power. But it will be a huge gain for a relatively modest investment. If it will fit.
True, but that's part of the fun of having a positive displacement supercharger... getting to pulley down for more boost. Which is why the TVS 1900 would be epic. Though, if this can break 400whp and, eh, 420 ftlbs, it is a definite possibility... Just, again, you'd be spinning the crap out of it to make enough boost.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #52
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
True, but that's part of the fun of having a positive displacement supercharger... getting to pulley down for more boost. Which is why the TVS 1900 would be epic. Though, if this can break 400whp and, eh, 420 ftlbs, it is a definite possibility... Just, again, you'd be spinning the crap out of it to make enough boost.
I agree. I think this combined with with a small turbo charger, in order to twin charge it, would make for a more sustainable amount of boost. And it would be bad ass....
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #53
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
If you end up making the Audi piece work you could possibly look to just make all the supporting parts, lower manifold, pulleys, brackets etc part of a kit and have the end user source the S/C from a used parts dealer.

To put it plainly this will limit your liability. If you went new it would most likely end up too pricey. Going used opens you up to failures.

Just a thought. I'm watching because a Colorado might be in my future as a work truck.

One last thing I tried something similar for the old 4.3L in S10's and stopped when I realized that my target audience was broke. This audience is doing a little better. Good luck I think you might be on to something here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #54
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Could this be a new thing for an LFX engine for a top mounted Supercharger ???
ah man this would be the best news ever.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #55
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja342 View Post
Any progress?
None to report... It's a winter project... It's not going to happen over night. I'm still thinking about the best way to go about the intake manifold design/fab.

Quote:
Quote:
Just, again, you'd be spinning the crap out of it to make enough boost.
You'll never get huge boost out of it, but again, you aren't spinning the crap out of it ALL the time. In a normal drag strip run, how long are you really spinning the thing at max rpms? 3 seconds, 4? I don't think it's a big deal... Supposedly the 1320 max continuous rpm rating is 18,000. But I've read a few places that brief peak rpms of ~22,000 is safe, and it shouldn't come apart. So considering you're not just holding your foot to the floor in one gear keeping the engine at 7200 rpms... I could see gearing the SC to run upto 20-21k peak, which could raise the max boost up to ~16 at peak rpms...

I do agree, the 1320 is probably not ideal, but as previously mentioned, for a budget deal that's compact and self contained, It might just be worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
If you end up making the Audi piece work you could possibly look to just make all the supporting parts, lower manifold, pulleys, brackets etc part of a kit and have the end user source the S/C from a used parts dealer.

To put it plainly this will limit your liability. If you went new it would most likely end up too pricey. Going used opens you up to failures.

Just a thought. I'm watching because a Colorado might be in my future as a work truck.

One last thing I tried something similar for the old 4.3L in S10's and stopped when I realized that my target audience was broke. This audience is doing a little better. Good luck I think you might be on to something here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
Could this be a new thing for an LFX engine for a top mounted Supercharger ???
ah man this would be the best news ever.
At the moment, I am really not planning on selling anything that I'm doing on this project. This is purely for my own benefit/enjoyment, but hopefully it will inspire some to think outside the box along the way... But we'll see how it all works out in the end.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 11-16-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #56
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
You'll never get huge boost out of it, but again, you aren't spinning the crap out of it ALL the time. In a normal drag strip run, how long are you really spinning the thing at max rpms? 3 seconds, 4? I don't think it's a big deal... Supposedly the 1320 max continuous rpm rating is 18,000. But I've read a few places that brief peak rpms of ~22,000 is safe, and it shouldn't come apart. So considering you're not just holding your foot to the floor in one gear keeping the engine at 7200 rpms... I could see gearing the SC to run upto 20-21k peak, which could raise the max boost up to ~16 at peak rpms...

I do agree, the 1320 is probably not ideal, but as previously mentioned, for a budget deal that's compact and self contained, It might just be worth the effort.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's worth it. I think the main issues are how efficient the intercooler bricks are and how the overall efficiency affects power delivery. I mean, even if you are spinning the crap out of it, it is only at peak... I wonder what normal cruising boost would do to economy.