Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Awesome Jason!

I like your adventurous sprit.

Any projected HP #'s?

Seriously though... More then 280 RWHP.

In other words. I'm not even going to try to put a number to it. The FI experts can feel free to take a wild guess at what it would do at roughly 8 psi. I ordered the heat exchanger and pulley yesterday.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-01-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
So is they LF3 intake/intercooler setup taking a back seat to this new project, or are you still going to work on both? Such exiting things going on with these LFX engines!
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
So is they LF3 intake/intercooler setup taking a back seat to this new project, or are you still going to work on both? Such exiting things going on with these LFX engines!
Originally I had hoped to use most of that setup with this. I was hoping heat exchanger bricks in the LF3 would be spaced farther apart and I could "drop" the TVS unit down lower to keep it under the hood and blow through the sides of the LF3 intake... Buuut the bricks are too close together and I can't do that, so I'll be making my own setup.

More than likely I will try to sell all of the LF3 parts... So anyone that wants them, no need to wait 5 months.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Cymaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2/RS
Dang I would have thought that the 1900 would have been too big. Its kinda crazy the 6.2s use it.
Cymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymaro View Post
Dang I would have thought that the 1900 would have been too big. Its kinda crazy the 6.2s use it.
There is a lot of conflicting info on the internet about the minimum recommended size for the TVS1900. Some places say a 4.0l engine is the smallest recommended size. However it says that 3.6l is the smallest right on the Eaton website... Which is right? idk, but the deal on it was too good to pass! If it doesn't work out on this project, I've got a 5.3 and I can easily buy the rest of the pre-made kit parts to stick this on there.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Well in theory it doesn't quite matter if you have enough fuel right? (If I'm under thinking this then please feel free to explain or just shake your head)
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #21
Jason@JacFab

You've got to remember that it's an air pump and it takes HP to drive it. The bigger the pump, the more HP it takes to drive it. Ideally, I'd think you'd compare different units and pick the most efficient one for the range of boost you plan to run, hence it would be the one to rob the least amount of power to run it. Different units have different efficiency ranges.

Sure you could slap a big head unit on anything, but if it's way outside of it most efficient range of efficiency, you would have been better off with a smaller (cheaper?) one, that doesn't rob so much power just to run it.

This is how I understand it. Experts? Am I off base here?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #22
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
You've got to remember that it's an air pump and it takes HP to drive it. The bigger the pump, the more HP it takes to drive it. Ideally, I'd think you'd compare different units and pick the most efficient one for the range of boost you plan to run, hence it would be the one to rob the least amount of power to run it. Different units have different efficiency ranges.

Sure you could slap a big head unit on anything, but if it's way outside of it most efficient range of efficiency, you would have been better off with a smaller (cheaper?) one, that doesn't rob so much power just to run it.

This is how I understand it. Experts? Am I off base here?
Didn't think about that. Makes a lot of sense... and seems obvious enough that I'm not sure why I had skipped over it. Though the only other option besides the 1320 would be a 1650... Hm.

Oh. What about a front inlet? Or is that supercharger specific and not an adaptation-kit-based thing?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #23
aja342

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS M6
I was wondering why you do not see a roost type Supercharger kit for the V6 Camaros. After digging around and re-reading the motor specs I saw it was a 60 degree motor. There is no room for pressure to equal out under the Intercooler before entering the runners. I don't see this happening without chopping on the heads or a different hood.

Last edited by aja342; 10-03-2014 at 11:43 AM.
aja342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja342 View Post
I was wondering why you do not see a roost type Supercharger kit for the V6 Camaros. After digging around and re-reading the motor specs I saw it was a 60 degree motor. There is no room for presure to equal out under the Intercooler before entering the runners. I don't see this happening with out chopping on the heads or a differnt hood.
Nice observation. There actually is (was?) a top mount supercharger designed previously. It did stick out the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Didn't think about that. Makes a lot of sense... and seems obvious enough that I'm not sure why I had skipped over it. Though the only other option besides the 1320 would be a 1650... Hm.

Oh. What about a front inlet? Or is that supercharger specific and not an adaptation-kit-based thing?
To date, I've never seen a 1650. I've seen a lot of info saying it was "planned for production", but I don't believe they ever actually started producing them. It may have been project that ended upon the back burner, or maybe shelved permanently as the 1320 and 1900 "seem" to have a pretty good overlap according to the chart above I've posted which is off of the Eaton website.

I'd rather have a front inlet,but for the most part it seems kit specific. The generic head units that Magnuson sells for DIY kits are all rear inlet. I'm sure some parts could probably interchange to have a front mount, but the trouble is GETTING them.

That said, I may be switching gears again. Doing some research on the 1320, I found a cutaway that Car & Driver did on an Audi 3.0 TVS 1320 supercharger...

It's basically, almost exactly like what I had originally planned to do and try to incorporate the LF3 intake and intercoolers. Cooling bricks off to the side of the supercharger so a guy could eliminate the extra 4-5" of height under the SC to hopefully try and keep it under the hood.

It doesn't really look like it's much bigger than the LF3 intake. I went ahead and bought one. It will be much easier to make a manifold to adapt this setup to the top of the LFX. I'll stick it on top of the engine when it shows up next week and take some pictures.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #25
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
your a beast, wish I could drop coin like that to do test... Glad there are people like you willing to try something new....
Old 10-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #26
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Damn jason, YOU da man! I bet that was a pretty penny...
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #27
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
your a beast, wish I could drop coin like that to do test... Glad there are people like you willing to try something new....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Damn jason, YOU da man! I bet that was a pretty penny...
For what it is, it the Audi piece was actually pretty affordable. I picked it up for $800 shipped. That seems to be the range they go for on ebay +-$100 bucks.

I just added up all of the money I wasted on the LF3 intake parts, and I'm into it for a hair over $1200... maybe I can get lucky and unload it on someone and not take a huge loss :( But I probably won't put it up for sale until I get one of these units up and running.

Want to hear something that will make you cry? The TVS1900 is BRAND NEW, and I picked it up for only $650. Deal of the century. It will get used on SOMETHING eventually. The Audi unit really only has one purpose, being so v6 specific. A v6. Hopefully a Camaro v6.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #28
DSX_Camaro

Alright, so I've just now went through and gotten to your response.

Wow.

If you could make a kit out of that and find someone to do solid tunes... that would be a stupid awesome bang-for-buck forced induction set up given it produces nice numbers.