Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
TB cleaning questions

How often should the TB be cleaned? My car has 25,000 exactly on it.
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Is it dirty? Have you taken the intake tube off and checked inside? If it is, a quick couple shots of carb cleaner will clean it like new. Do you have a catchcan? If not, that will DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of soot your TB sees.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk89 View Post
How often should the TB be cleaned? My car has 25,000 exactly on it.
If you don't have a really efficient catch can like the RX, your TB is likely very dirty. Unless there is enough build up to cause idle problems you don't have to clean it. That said, the residue from the PCV along with heat baking it on will require throttle body cleaner along with a shop towel to get it clean. I have 47k miles on my car and have cleaned my throttle body at least three times.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Chavira2009

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Hurst RJT
I cleaned my throttle body last week with TB Cleaner. At 27k miles it was pretty dirty. Whatever you do, don't use the Wynn's TB cleaner. That shit screwed up my O2 sensors. That same night my SES light came on with a lean code, causing the ECM to command more fuel, and thus making the car run rich. Wynn's = shitty ass product. That's coming from an auto tech.
Chavira2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavira2009 View Post
I cleaned my throttle body last week with TB Cleaner. At 27k miles it was pretty dirty. Whatever you do, don't use the Wynn's TB cleaner. That shit screwed up my O2 sensors. That same night my SES light came on with a lean code, causing the ECM to command more fuel, and thus making the car run rich. Wynn's = shitty ass product. That's coming from an auto tech.
How much did you use? It doesn't seem possible for a normal amount of TB cleaner to cause that. GM's top engine clean or Seafoam won't do that if properly used. Oh and FWIW I take the TB off to clean it. Makes it much easier to get completely clean and allow access to wipe out the intake manifold at the same time.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Chavira2009

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Hurst RJT
I actually didn't use a lot. Just a few sprays. The cleaner I used is designed to be used with the engine running. And it specifically says on the back label of the can "Formulated to be safe for oxygen sensors, catalytic convertors and coated throttle bodies." It would probably be best to use the GM stuff.
Chavira2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Nighthawk89

Thanks for all the feed back you guys. I've actually never cleaned it.. ive kept up with my CAI but never the TB.. I'm not familiar with what a "catch can" is.. Is it pretty easy to clean the TB?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Thanks for all the feed back you guys. I've actually never cleaned it.. ive kept up with my CAI but never the TB.. I'm not familiar with what a "catch can" is.. Is it pretty easy to clean the TB?
If you want it spic and span, you'll need to take it off as Indeed suggested. If you just want to clean up the blade and throat, you have a couple of choices. You can seafoam it or just spray off everything you see. Seafoam will clean pretty much everything in the intake since it's ingested in the intake tube, with the car running, and exits out the exhaust. I've never used TB cleaner on my Camaro but I have on my 00 Z71 and every other vehicle i've owned, without a problem. As Indeed posted, i've never seen TB cleaner cause a problem with O2 sensors or anything. The car may run like crap for a few seconds until the cleaner is through but no damage.

To clean it with TB cleaner, just loosen the clamp that holds the intake tube to the TB, then take the tube off. The TB is right there in front of you. If you see a lot of soot around the blade, spray it and watch it disappear. Push the blade open and spray the backside of the TB blade till clean. Then spray around the throat to get the soot off it as well. Put the intake tube back on and fire her up. Like I said, it may run like shit for a few seconds but just rev it up to keep it from dying. It should clear up quickly.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
IndeedSS1

Quote:
1. Remove the intake duct. On a stock box watch out for the PCV hard line.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector on the passenger side of the TB.
3. Remove the 4 TB bolts (10mm socket)
4. Take the TB back to your bench or outside.
5. Spray with TB cleaner (I used CR brand)
6. Wipe stubborn areas and rotate the blade to get to the tight spots.
7. Wipe out the intake manifold (Blue shop towels on a roll)
8. Put the TB back on with the 4 bolts and tighten to 89 inch pounds or about 7 foot pounds or just snug without a torque wrench
9. Plug in electrical connector
10. Reattach the intake duct. On a stock box don't forget the PCV hard line.

Looks like a lot but only takes a few minutes. And oh the smell of TB cleaner.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
If you want it spic and span, you'll need to take it off as Indeed suggested. If you just want to clean up the blade and throat, you have a couple of choices. You can seafoam it or just spray off everything you see. Seafoam will clean pretty much everything in the intake since it's ingested in the intake tube, with the car running, and exits out the exhaust. I've never used TB cleaner on my Camaro but I have on my 00 Z71 and every other vehicle i've owned, without a problem. As Indeed posted, i've never seen TB cleaner cause a problem with O2 sensors or anything. The car may run like crap for a few seconds until the cleaner is through but no damage.

To clean it with TB cleaner, just loosen the clamp that holds the intake tube to the TB, then take the tube off. The TB is right there in front of you. If you see a lot of soot around the blade, spray it and watch it disappear. Push the blade open and spray the backside of the TB blade till clean. Then spray around the throat to get the soot off it as well. Put the intake tube back on and fire her up. Like I said, it may run like shit for a few seconds but just rev it up to keep it from dying. It should clear up quickly.

Is seafoam safe to use if I only have 25,000? And where is the intake tube?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Is seafoam safe to use if I only have 25,000? And where is the intake tube?
With only 25k miles I'd just can a can of Techron or Seafoam in a tank of gas. Every once in a while you will hear about someone messing up with Seafoam in the intake. And I'm taking first hand stories not the I had a friend story.

The intake tube is the tube connected directly to the throttle body.

She is only memory now.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
And where is the intake tube?
Name:  Intake removal.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  183.7 KB
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
With only 25k miles I'd just can a can of Techron or Seafoam in a tank of gas. Every once in a while you will hear about someone messing up with Seafoam in the intake. And I'm taking first hand stories not the I had a friend story.

The intake tube is the tube connected directly to the throttle body.

Cool! Thanks for all the help. I'm going to be doing the sea foam in my tank of gas tomorrow and getting a good TB cleaner and a rag to clean the TB and intake manifold.. do I forsure need a tork wrench for the TB?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Cool! Thanks for all the help. I'm going to be doing the sea foam in my tank of gas tomorrow and getting a good TB cleaner and a rag to clean the TB and intake manifold.. do I forsure need a tork wrench for the TB?
No you don't need a Tq wrench for the TB bolts. There's a tq value for pretty much every nut/bolt on the car and some like to use them. TB bolts aren't one of those "need to be tq properly" areas. 7 ft/lbs isn't much so just snug them up tight. Those bolts are going into plastic so don't get overzealous with your tightening. Common sense plays a HUGE role in most engine work.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)