Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Can't I just buy a new computer?

So custom tunes void warranty, and Ive been told it's impossible to hide that it's been done on the computer from GM techs. But is it possible to just buy another computer from a used LS3 off ebay (I think I saw some for around 150 on there) and have that installed and the tune done on it and keep the original in case the car needs to go in for maintenance or warranty work?

I'm not looking to do this myself (Dont have mods to warrant a tune, or money to get either) but saw ECMs on ebay when browsing engines and had a "I wonder..." moment.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
its illegal Im told, the comp has vin and other information, putting a new one on there is the same as trying to falsify your vin........

I also think they said there were issues with emissions as well, it flags it.

Theres a couple threads on this already that goes into more detail
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
So theoretically if you ruined your computer some how and it's no longer warrantied you can't find a used LS3 computer and put it in under law?

I'm by no means planning on doing this but Im at the point of just being curious. If some one did do it, is there a way anyone would know if it was switched back?
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I had the same idea actually. And I don't see how if my computer fries and I throw another on in I'm somehow breaking the law.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I had the same idea actually. And I don't see how if my computer fries and I throw another on in I'm somehow breaking the law.
There is a difference between your computer frying and trying to circumvent the system to hide a tune.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
it's not a law thing.

the PCM keeps track of various things like mileage, so if you have 20K miles on the car and put a new PCM in, it won't show 20K miles it will show 0 and be 20K behind the ODO.

when the GM tech compares the files in the PCM to the other modules in the car and finds they don't match and are out of sync, then they will know it is changed.

Yes it is probably possible to have the PCM corrected, but again, GM tracks how many legit flashes are done to your VIN, if the PCM flash counter shows a different number than the other modules or what they have on record, again, they will know it was tampered with.

has nothing to do with legality, has to do with GM's warranty and their direct declaration that tampering with the cars computer voids it.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
DanSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS
I don't know if you can do it on the camaro but I know you could do it with my old cobalt SS turbo. Everyone used to get a 2nd comp tune it and keep the stock one just in case. Funny thing is you couldn't do it with the cobalt SS supercharged. I think if the comp is Vin coded to you car you can't swap them.
DanSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Rhyder

I think it also is your odometer, it is illegal to change your odometer reading, so perhaps switching out the computer would be considered as falsifying your odometer as the readings would not match the vehicle?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Odometer is retained in BCM
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Rhyder

here you go..

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/car...w-guidelines#b
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Rhyder

not related to this post but there were several posts about turning off the daylight running lights where I was yelled down for saying its illegal to remove safety features once they are installed on your car

"...you are not allowed to remove or disconnect safety equipment such as hazard lights, day time running lights, or signal lighting...."

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/car...#ixzz2Fiyeu8Sn
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSSRS View Post
I don't know if you can do it on the camaro but I know you could do it with my old cobalt SS turbo. Everyone used to get a 2nd comp tune it and keep the stock one just in case. Funny thing is you couldn't do it with the cobalt SS supercharged. I think if the comp is Vin coded to you car you can't swap them.
This was also easy to do with the GM W-body PCMs. I always had a spare in case I bricked one. I tuned a lot and figured eventually I'd have one of those uh-oh moments. Proud to say after putting 96k miles on my Impala SS and too many tunes to count, I never had a problem.

I don't know first hand about the Gen5 ECM swapping, other than having a personal reliable source tell me that with this new system, if it could be done it wouldn't be easy.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
If the car is being driven hard enough that you think that you may need your warrenty why would you want to add more power by getting it tuned? Doesnt make a lot of sence. My warrenty is voided because of my turbo, and I am fine with that.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
To answer the original post question. Yes it can be done. I'm not going to debate the legality but with certain equipment you can have 100 computers if you want. The new ECU comes blank/un-programmed from GM. The first step is programming a stock factory calibration. There is also some security programming to be done.

I have personally done this so I know it can be done without the dealer involved. Programming equipment that the dealer uses is available to the public. And I am Not talking about HP Tuners, SCT, EFI Live etc.
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote