Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #71
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
Those are your experiences. If you want to be a prick on a website, that's also your choice.
Thanks for the compliment. That is exactly my choice when idiots don't read the posts. I would rather be that then the opposite!

Thanks again!
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #72
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
Running low on fuel does not cause your fuel system to "pick up the sludge" any more than running with a full tank. When it comes to that, it makes no difference.
Ok now we know that you know jack about cars. That's fuel system 101 and a litle bit of common sense, sorry.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #73
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
Thanks for the compliment. That is exactly my choice when idiots don't read the posts. I would rather be that then the opposite!

Thanks again!
We're not worthy.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #74
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
I think this is a perfectly reasonable question.

My estimated mileage reads down to about 50 miles until my light comes on, and yes I don't keep my gas above 1/4 or 1/2 tank at all times like some. Regardless of whether or not you'll damage your pump, slack up guys geez.

I would imagine you could go about 50 miles if you were driving on the interstate around 70mph, at least in a V6.

PS: I've never ran out of gas though lol
I totally agree. with it being a reasonable question. Bad for the fuel pump? Probably but its good to know in an emergency situation if there was a distance between stations and there was an issue at the closest one and you had to go a lil further. Or the fuel gauge took a shit and you knew it was low and had to rely on the gas light, which is a different circuit so wont fail with the gauge. Or u left your house to fill up and forgot your wallet and had to double back with the light on. At least you know you could probably ornot make it. The OP has a valid question. His ripping about OMG the fuel pump and all the other engineer wannabe quips are the reason I dont even post that much here. To the OP's original VALID question its about 50KMs on an SS 6speed. I don't know what that is in miles because that would be very un-canadian of me and they're already looking to kick me out lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #75
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
BS, you asked 12 mechanics who had there head up their ass. Yeah it will shorten the life of it if you run it dry on a regular basis not disputing that. I AM TALKING ONE TIME! Everyone is making it sound like your fuel pump will be the end of the world if you do it at all. So, my pump is going to lose what, an hour of it's life in the total span of it's total lifetime. As far as running it low that is just hearsay and has yet to be proven by anyone. Go ask those same 12 mechanics why GM didn't put the low fuel sensor at a 1/4 or a 1/2 tank then, would like to hear what they have to say.

he said 2 dozen...
anyway.
you are more likely to ruin your sending unit by running the tank low, at least on the older vehicles. I didn't know this tank had baffles in it, that would protect the sender a little bit.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #76
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Wow ours cars have a low fuel indicator huh?

Never have seen it since I always top off the tank when I'm down to 3/8 to 1/4 of a tank. Always want to keep my fuel pump submerged...
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #77
Michael2000

Drives: .
The problem is, you can't depend on any particular "miles to empty" based on the light, or even the driver information display. The guage isn't that accurate for one. Second, it depends on what the driving conditions are.

I've learned this the hard way.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #78
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveey57 View Post
How hard can you kick yourself before it hurts?
I never let any of my cars go below a half a tank. But I'd advise Going below a 1/4 tank or you'll suck up all the crap from the bottom of the tank. OR.....Wait for it................................................ .you also risk damaging your fuel pump.
That doesn't even make sense. The pick up for the pump is at the botom of the tank ALWAYS. It pulls from the bottom of the tank whether it is full or not. If there is something in the bottom of your tank, it is probably in the bottom all the time. The pump doesn't know the difference. I have ran many vehicles out of gas over the years and never killed or even damaged the fuel pump by doing so. Are you people implyinig that the Camaro has a shit fuel pump that will fail the first time it gets dry?

To answer the OP question. This is a repeat of many old threads but I can live with it. I sometimes travel a lot due to my job and sometimes end up on a stretch of road void of gas stations for a good distance. Sometimes getting pretty low on fuel. I think that usually when the low fuel light comes on there is usually about 2 1/2 gallons left in my tank. How many miles you can go after that depends on driving conditions and mpg you get under those conditions. To be safe I look at it as having only 2 gallons left and try to find a station within that 2 gallon regardless of the mileage I am getting at the time.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #79
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
this thread reminds me of

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #80
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
BS, you asked 12 mechanics who had there head up their ass. Yeah it will shorten the life of it if you run it dry on a regular basis not disputing that. I AM TALKING ONE TIME! Everyone is making it sound like your fuel pump will be the end of the world if you do it at all. So, my pump is going to lose what, an hour of it's life in the total span of it's total lifetime. As far as running it low that is just hearsay and has yet to be proven by anyone. Go ask those same 12 mechanics why GM didn't put the low fuel sensor at a 1/4 or a 1/2 tank then, would like to hear what they have to say.

2 dozen is actually 24, not 12 Einstein. I work for a company that provides products and services to business's, with about 50% of the customers being automotive related. I probably know 200 hundred mechanics or more, and deal with them on a weekly basis. I deal with private shops, national chains, and dealerships. even a Nissan training facility and Ferrari dealership for a while. I frequently in the course of small talk ask them these kinds of questions. the reason I've asked about fuel pumps is I all the time see them being replaced, yet in the course of putting close to a million miles on 8 personal vehicles have never had to replace one myself. I couldn't help but to be currious as to why one would go bad, and was always given the same answer...........................probably run on empty all the time. when I'd ask if it's bad for them, I would likewise always get the same answer...................it isn't good for them. doesn't necessarily mean it will damage it, but it doesn't help.

believe what you want, but I've never had a mechanic tell me it's good for the car.

Last edited by jd10013; 01-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #81
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
this thread reminds me of

that was good. People in here are freaking Nutz. I started this thread. And people completey have taken it the wrong but that was good. Needed a laugh
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #82
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
why would you have sludge in your tank?Ive replace hundreds of fuel pumps in the tanks and only 1 had sludge and that was do to vandalism.Usually what you have in the bottem of your tank are small metallic flakes,but the sock on the pump prevents that from going into the pump,you people are really clueless
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #83
Chavira2009

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Hurst RJT
Man people on this forum can be brutal. It makes you not want to post sometimes just knowing that there are many people on this forum that are total pricks!
Chavira2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #84
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
You really believe "most" people don't buy gas until the light comes on?
That being exactly what I posted yes. My completely unofficial opinion is that around 80% of regular drivers run their tanks to the light.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote