Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
SAVE FERRIS

Drives: 2015 1SS L99 Convertible
Supercharge it or other?

I have a 2015 SS Camaro convertible and was considering throwing 4-5k to build the car how I want. Trouble is, that's 1 supercharger and nothing else and frankly, it should have 6 pistons up front for that kind of power imo.

Or perhaps...new injectors, headers, cams, get a custom tunemail?

I'm just wanting some advise as to how best spend that cash. Thanks in advance!
SAVE FERRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
4-5k is a bit of a small budget for a Supercharger. You're probably better off going the "other" route.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
4-5k is a bit of a small budget for a Supercharger. You're probably better off going the "other" route.

He's right. even if you managed to buy one under that price, unless you're installing it yourself it's just not feasible. I vote full exhaust, cam, and then heads if you have the money for it.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
SAVE FERRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post

He's right. even if you managed to buy one under that price, unless you're installing it yourself it's just not feasible. I vote full exhaust, cam, and then heads if you have the money for it.
So, if I up the budget to 7k?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
zr1chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVE FERRIS View Post
That's more in the ballpark for sure. Worth shopping around to see what kind of deals you can get. Still think it's going to be a bit tight though. I think you need closer to 8-9 to have a comfortable budget to go forward with a Supercharger.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
That's more in the ballpark for sure. Worth shopping around to see what kind of deals you can get. Still think it's going to be a bit tight though. I think you need closer to 8-9 to have a comfortable budget to go forward with a Supercharger.
Have to agree with Chris again. A good reputable supercharger usually starts at $6k. That's from a good name brand backed by a warranty so you have piece of mind. Installation is always costly. You might be able to get a good deal on it though in shops around your area. But when choosing something that is gonna make or break your car, it's always best to not take the cheap route haha. Not sure what kind of supercharger you have in mind. If you're interested in a bolt on LSA like the ZL1 has, I've heard ADM is a pretty good deal to go with. They are a vendor on this site, perhaps shoot them a message!

Another option is to browse our classified section under forced induction and see if anyone throws a good deal up for sale. Gotta be cautious going that route though. Be weary of new members/fishy deals. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is on here.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
Skogen
Hell Yea!

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS & 2012 2SSRS M6
Big twins are always a good option.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat - AGP 54/57 Twin Turbo with Meth injection. 704 RWHP.
2015 Chevrolet 2500 LTZ
1969 Chevelle SS396 - Numbers matching
Skogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Build your foundation first. Suspension; cradle bushings, upgraded sway bars, trailing arms, toe links, radius rod bushings, LCA bushings, lowering springs or coil overs, etc. Good tire and wheel setup. CAI, headers, tb and gears. Then think about f.i.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #9
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Welcome aboard...One of the first questions that I generally ask a new member that is looking at performance mods, is what is your intent for the mod???Do you intend to drag/track race the car or do you want just a bit more power???Is the car your DD or weekend/race warrior???How much RWHP are you hoping to gain???Once you answer these questions, members are more likely to give you an accurate assessment of what direction to go and the cost...You started out with a max of 4K and jumped to 7K, I guarantee their is someone on this site that can hook you up for that and more...There are some very good site sponsors that offer great package deals but you need to be certain of what you want/need...Sounds like you should have got a ZL1...IJS...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
SAVE FERRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Welcome aboard...One of the first questions that I generally ask a new member that is looking at performance mods, is what is your intent for the mod???Do you intend to drag/track race the car or do you want just a bit more power???Is the car your DD or weekend/race warrior???How much RWHP are you hoping to gain???Once you answer these questions, members are more likely to give you an accurate assessment of what direction to go and the cost...You started out with a max of 4K and jumped to 7K, I guarantee their is someone on this site that can hook you up for that and more...There are some very good site sponsors that offer great package deals but you need to be certain of what you want/need...Sounds like you should have got a ZL1...IJS...
A fair point indeed about the ZL1. I plan to trade this in a couple of years on a ZL1 1LE. Until then, I daily drive this Camaro on a 2.5 hour daily commute and just want some more amusement. I have a cat back exhaust and a CAI currently.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #11
zr1chris

Quote:
A fair point indeed about the ZL1. I plan to trade this in a couple of years on a ZL1 1LE. Until then, I daily drive this Camaro on a 2.5 hour daily commute and just want some more amusement. I have a cat back exhaust and a CAI currently.
In that case I'd just get the mild cam and leave it at that. Save your $ for the ZL1.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
The old saying in the performance world is:

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
pick any two.

For a DD with that kind of commute, it sounds like reliable is at the top of your list. It sounds like this car needs to get you to work on a daily basis, and that is an important task. Adding mods like this, that add a lot of power, needs some consideration. First, it is going to stress the parts of the drivetrain that aren't designed for that kind of power, so you will either have to upgrade those, or face reduced reliability. Secondly, modified cars means more overall maintenance, which means more incremental money a.k.a. larger cost of ownership over time. Of course, you will also kiss your warranty goodbye, which means any major repair is on you.

Then consider this, if your real goal is a ZL1 1LE, you're going to be looking at probably somewhere in the mid $60K range for a used one in a couple of years. (Pricing is not released, so it may be a little less). If your plan is to use equity from this car in the deal (trade) stock will have a better value.

I also have to back Stunnah, when spending this kind of money for more power, it is really important to know exactly what you want the car to do better.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
SAVE FERRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The old saying in the performance world is:

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
pick any two.

For a DD with that kind of commute, it sounds like reliable is at the top of your list. It sounds like this car needs to get you to work on a daily basis, and that is an important task. Adding mods like this, that add a lot of power, needs some consideration. First, it is going to stress the parts of the drivetrain that aren't designed for that kind of power, so you will either have to upgrade those, or face reduced reliability. Secondly, modified cars means more overall maintenance, which means more incremental money a.k.a. larger cost of ownership over time. Of course, you will also kiss your warranty goodbye, which means any major repair is on you.

Then consider this, if your real goal is a ZL1 1LE, you're going to be looking at probably somewhere in the mid $60K range for a used one in a couple of years. (Pricing is not released, so it may be a little less). If your plan is to use equity from this car in the deal (trade) stock will have a better value.

I also have to back Stunnah, when spending this kind of money for more power, it is really important to know exactly what you want the car to do better.
I agree. 2 of the 3.. let's go reliable and more power. Im out of factory warranty, just want a Lil more bang for my buck. Trade in value is irrelevant to me, the Dealer I do business with always takes care of me.. regardless the mods.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
I would suggest a cam and headers, and heads if you have the money. I am very amused with my setup on a commute. Intake/TB/cam/headers/hf cats, catback.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote