Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
richm

Drives: 2016 Camaro Turbo4 RS Convertible
New Camaro Convertible in shop long term (lemon)

I would appreciate some advice on how best to handle this situation... A week ago, I purchased a new 2016 Camaro convertible and immediately upon returning home that night the top had a major malfunction when I tried to close the top, and I returned the car to the dealer's service shop the next day.

So, it's been sitting in the repair shop for a week now and they are saying it will be at least two or three weeks until the new parts will arrive for them to repair my convertible top.

I am SO frustrated paying all that money to buy a brand new car and then having to immediately return it back to the shop where it will be spending a good part of the summer there.

Are there any suggestions or prior experience about how likely it would be that I could return the car for a different one or get my money back altogether?

I do see that the Illinois Lemon Law allows for that possibility if it's in the shop for 30 business days or 4 separate times to repair the same problem within the first year.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You know the law, So wait 30 Biz days, get a lawyer and file....it really is that simple. Things move fast after that.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Went down that road with my first 2012 Vert in 11/12. One thing to check on in your state is if time waiting on parts counts as out of service. I checked into it in Minnesota and it does. Mine was on the road less than 3 months and was out of service or waiting on parts for 101 days. Good luck
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
richm

Drives: 2016 Camaro Turbo4 RS Convertible
Thanks for the feedback so far. Any idea what constitutes, a "business day". Is that the auto dealer's business day, meaning 30 days when excluding Sundays?
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. Any idea what constitutes, a "business day". Is that the auto dealer's business day, meaning 30 days when excluding Sundays?
Id say its M-F

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
I'm a little shocked about how many of the verts self destruct the first day. The vert guys need to work the top more before they sign. If it effs up its the dealers problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Def mon thru fri.....I have administrated lemon law for 3 car companies in 5 states and parts wait time def counts. I once gave a BMW 7 series customer his money back because we could not supply new wipers in 30 days.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
95birdible

From what I was told by the AG office here in Minnesota, doesn't matter when the dealership is open, a day without parts is still a day without and counts as out of service. Since everything can be shipped 7 days a week, it doesn't hold true anymore.
"Green Flash"
Old 06-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
nbryant

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
I understand what the law says and understand how some could interpret it one way other the other but damn, the car had an issue and the part availability is just not there. It's not as if the issue kept appearing over and over again. Is it frustrating not having it to drive? Hell yeah, but better they fix it right one time instead of trying to patch it and have you get even more frustrated.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I bought a 16 convertible as well on 4-9-16. The car went in to the shop on 4-15-16 at 114 miles for faulty USB ports and paint issues. I picked the car back up on 4-21-16. On 5-31-16, the car went back to the shop at 1598 miles to fix the paint defects, NPP exhaust rattle, HUD showing multiple images, rear end groan, and low speed whine from the transmission. I was last told that the repairs were complete, and the car went to the body shop on 6-13-16. I have not heard back from the dealer since. Currently, since purchase, I am at 31 days of shop time out of 2.5 months of ownership. I am really not happy with how this is turning out so far.

Edit - I forgot to add... there is already a top rub showing on the driver's side of the top as well. Seems to be due to cable routing.

Last edited by Algeron; 06-25-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
95birdible

Algeron, I would go the Lemon Law route or force GM's hand to get a buyback and get out of your Lemon. You would think with all the problems with the first few years GM had with the 5th Gen verts they might of gotten their heads out of their collective asses and built a quality product. Guess they didn't learn and are still using the owners for their research and development.
"Green Flash"
Old 06-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
Algeron, I would go the Lemon Law route or force GM's hand to get a buyback and get out of your Lemon. You would think with all the problems with the first few years GM had with the 5th Gen verts they might of gotten their heads out of their collective asses and built a quality product. Guess they didn't learn and are still using the owners for their research and development.
LOL - as you mention 5th gen. My 2011 was in the shop for 11 months out of 3.25 years due to top issues and then being wrecked by a dealership employee. Ended up with an agreement between myself, GM, and the dealer with that mess.

After 2 bad ones back to back, I am almost ready to take a break from Chevy and go elsewhere for a couple years. I still have my 91 RS (5.7L) and 98 Z28, and neither had this many issues.