Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
General Tire Gmax AS03 sidewall issues anyone?

So I'm just throwing this out there to see if my experience is uncommon or not.

As soon as I burned off my stock P-Zeros I started looking for a good all weather replacement since I live in the great-ish state of Illinois. I ended up going with GMax AS03's and have been perfectly happy with the tread life and grip. My first set lasted about as long as I expected and I had no trouble with them.

I replaced them with another set and within a year had a goose egg popping out of the sidewall. Manufacturer stated that the failure was due to an impact and therefore the warranty on the tire is null and void. Fast forward six months and I'm again replacing the same tire for the same reason. I've never experienced tire trouble like this before on any car and I've been driving my SS since August or September '09.

So, is this a common issue and I just got lucky with my P-Zeros and first set of GMax, or should I be looking for advice on a better quality tire when it comes time to replace these?
Old 08-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
GMax AS03 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
So I'm just throwing this out there to see if my experience is uncommon or not.

As soon as I burned off my stock P-Zeros I started looking for a good all weather replacement since I live in the great-ish state of Illinois. I ended up going with GMax AS03's and have been perfectly happy with the tread life and grip. My first set lasted about as long as I expected and I had no trouble with them.

I replaced them with another set and within a year had a goose egg popping out of the sidewall. Manufacturer stated that the failure was due to an impact and therefore the warranty on the tire is null and void. Fast forward six months and I'm again replacing the same tire for the same reason. I've never experienced tire trouble like this before on any car and I've been driving my SS since August or September '09.

So, is this a common issue and I just got lucky with my P-Zeros and first set of GMax, or should I be looking for advice on a better quality tire when it comes time to replace these?
The problem might not be the tire,it might just be the person using the tire machine,I had two tires ruined by an in-experienced operator of the tire machine,maybe they were worried about dinging the Foose wheels,whatever,I finally got one of the owners to mount the tire properly,and thank you again to tire direct discount,they replaced the tire free of charge.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
The problem might not be the tire,it might just be the person using the tire machine,I had two tires ruined by an in-experienced operator of the tire machine,maybe they were worried about dinging the Foose wheels,whatever,I finally got one of the owners to mount the tire properly,and thank you again to tire direct discount,they replaced the tire free of charge.
Dually noted. I did get the first set from Discount Tire and the second set from a non-chain local shop. I honestly wasn't aware that there was a machine for putting tires on, lol... I had a summer job way back in college at a semi repair shop and those guys just handed me a crobar and told me to go to town.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
Metalxen

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
Dually noted. I did get the first set from Discount Tire and the second set from a non-chain local shop. I honestly wasn't aware that there was a machine for putting tires on, lol... I had a summer job way back in college at a semi repair shop and those guys just handed me a crobar and told me to go to town.
Man, I nearly spit my drink out all over my screen reading that last sentence hahahahahaha..... I have the same tires with over 5k kms on them and they still look like new even after doing a few burnouts here and there. Definitely no bulging or signs of failure so far.
Metalxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
I am not aware of any sidewall issues on these. Tons of other Camaro owners running these and I haven't heard of anything. I would chalk it up to bad luck.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
I am not aware of any sidewall issues on these. Tons of other Camaro owners running these and I haven't heard of anything. I would chalk it up to bad luck.
Agreed. I have a set on my Charger and they are legit. 30k miles and still look almost new.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I've had my G-Max tires for almost 2 years and have not had any issues.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote