Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
blackoutVIII

Drives: 2011 2SS w/RS PKG
Had my 2011 for 5 years now. No problems. Just have to get used to the blind spots on any V GEN.
blackoutVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro View Post
Thnx for the reponses. The one thing I am kind of worried about is the blind spots. Does anyone who drives their car day to day have any issue with it or gotten used to it?
Then get a Vert! No blind spots here (except for rainy days which I may get caught in).

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Depending on what kind of driver you are the blind spots can be a problem. Properly adjusted mirrors and driver's seat make a world of difference. I just learned to be constantly vigilant regarding all traffic, not just what was in front of me. The only time I get worried now (6 years later) is when I'm in heavy Chicago traffic with people constantly changing lanes and cutting other people off.

The other thing that took some getting used to was figuring out where the corners of the car are. I've still got a nasty dig in the front fascia from pulling too far into my garage and bumping into a table against the back wall (6 months in) and my rims are in pretty sad shape from curbing them when parking (first 2 years, lol).

However, in the immortal words of Sterling Archer, "TOTALLY worth it!"
Old 11-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
ARE
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #19
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Quote:
Thnx for the reponses. The one thing I am kind of worried about is the blind spots. Does anyone who drives their car day to day have any issue with it or gotten used to it?
The issue with blind spots is because the driver didn't set their side view/rear view mirrors correctly. I don't have blind spots with my car and it is also a convertible. Just make sure you set your mirrors properly and that will not be an issue Good luck with your homework and purchase. When you finally purchase your car post a picture of it and welcome to the family. Just remember once you join the family you can never leave :big grin:LOL
Also on the '12 and ups we have rear view cameras for backing up.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
No bad years. Like others have mentioned, mid way through 12 they brought out the FE4 suspension. It is better but the non FE4 cars can be made just as good, it just takes a few more parts.

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #21
Racin J

Drives: 2012 2LS Black, K&N, Nittos
Dont be confused tho, as far as the back up camera, is not an option for the 2ls, not standard for the 2lt but an option for that model (?) If im correct
Racin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #22
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
No bad years. Like others have mentioned, mid way through 12 they brought out the FE4 suspension. It is better but the non FE4 cars can be made just as good, it just takes a few more parts.

All the best,

Jared Royce
Is there some way you can tell if your '12 has the FE4?

Like by vin of course
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #23
onceasto
jL

Drives: Camaro Indy 500 Pace Car Replica
I'll echo what others have said about properly adjusted mirrors and driver's seat. Properly adjusted side view and rear view can, for the most part, eliminate the blind spots. And be aware of your "Trouble Bubble", meaning what's around you at all times and where they are. Check your mirrors often. If someone sits in you "blind spot" on your right, like they're checking out your car, either slow down or speed up, if possible, and get rid of them. It's when you loose track of someone around you that you may have a problem. Good Luck
onceasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #24
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
Quote:
I drive a 2011 daily.

Most times cars keep their distance from me, which is awesome.

But I must echo, set up your mirrors correctly. Properly setup mirrors look a little strange at first, but go with it. The goal is to have cars directly behind you fully visible in the rear view mirror, thn set the drivers side so that when only half of the car is visible in the rear, the other half is visible in the drivers side mirror. Repeat for the passenger mirror. Then go to a parking lot and test it out.

All in all, I personally don't find the blind spots to be that bad. I think, from what I hear people say, the visibility issue is more about them feeling like they are looking out of a hoodie or tank. That is more about how short the windows are not really the blind spots. The windows are built like a chop top. If you ever drove an old school chop top you will not have a visibility issue. LOL.

Here are some great links for setting up your mirrors properly.

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%8...te-Blind-Spots

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #25
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I prefer the '11.

No mylink (bonus for me, and future reliability), better steering wheel (imo...), different gauge font...so basically the cooler features of the '10 model year, but with HUD and backup sensors (which are also on late-model '10s). Also no electric assist power steering - not sure when that came about.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #26
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
I prefer the '11.

No mylink (bonus for me, and future reliability), better steering wheel (imo...), different gauge font...so basically the cooler features of the '10 model year, but with HUD and backup sensors (which are also on late-model '10s). Also no electric assist power steering - not sure when that came about.
The steering wheel, gauges, hud were bonuses to me too. I prefer the Camaro nameplate steering wheel over the bowtie steering wheel. A lot of people must have felt the same seeing as at least the camaro nameplate on the wheel returned in 2016 models.

I avoided the 2010 because I wanted the HUD.

I would have taken a 2012 for the back up camera, but to find the mileage I wanted at the price I wanted with the miles I wanted with the 2SS trim with a manual transmission in one of the 3 colors I wanted was nigh impossible. Of course LSs, LTs and automatics... EVERYWHERE. LOL

So I sacrificed the back up camera but got everything else, right down to the color and stripe combo. 2011 FTW!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #27
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
You set your turn signal, begin your move, and say, "Good luck, everybody else!"

I jest... yes, you do get used to it. It takes a conscious effort to realize that there are places around the car that are very difficult to see. But, that's the price you pay for gun- port windows, which look really cool.... and, incidentally, also make it very difficult for the fuzz to see inside of your car, on the off- chance that you are rolling solo in the HOV/ diamond lane. Not that I have ever done that, just sayin,' IF I ever did, I know it would be hard for them to see me...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #28
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
i would probably stay away from convertibles. i didn't have one but there were issues i think at first.

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote