Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Case by case

If a kid drives a 4 cyl. car at 100 MPH, he might kill himself if he does'nt drive with prevention on his mind. The same with the same kid driving a Gen5 SS, but at 60 MPH without respecting laws and respect of others.

The car pic here made 2 deaths last sprin in the Quebec Province, the kid was driving an older Camaro but did'nt respect the alcohol laws and speed limits.
This car is now being on a show stand at the present Montreal Auto Show so that youngsters visiting can look at what an accident can do.

Name:  camaro accident.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
viper blue
Troy

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs custom viper blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Teach him to drive well, and you'll have no worries.

My Dad let me drive his '79 Camaro after I had about a year of driving experience under my belt...so I was 17? I never forgot that first drive...looking out over the hood, feeling the car shake as I turned the engine over.

I knew what I was driving, and I took it easy...it sounds like your son is similar, if he's never asked to drive it because he knows you'll say "no". It means he knows it's something special to you.

Anyways, that first drive is what led me to my own Camaro, eventually.

It also made me the only "qualified" driver of that car in the house for a good while. No one else could park it or pull it out of the garage to his standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
If you trust him let him drive it, in the end it's just a car don't let it ever be more than that.

Saying that I was an idiot at 16 and honestly believe at 22 there is no way any kid should have a license at 16 because they and I believed they are invincible and like said above, peer pressure and just the feeling that there is peer pressure drives people to do stupid stuff.

But hey, I turned out fine haha.
I understand its a car as much as I like it if it was gone tomorrow so be it I can't replace my son!
viper blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper blue View Post
Just curious about your thoughts from the time I got my license( and before ) I have been a gear head obsessed with power but back then 300 hp was a lot and the car weighed 4 ton. I have a 16 year old who has his licence he knows better than to ask to drive my camaro. seems like a lot of power for a young driver. Or have I just turned into my dad?
Me being 18 when I got my camaro dad was supporting me but I knew he really was thinking about saying no and having me just get a car not a beast I asked him about getting a v8 and he straight up told me that was not going to happen, he said he trusts me to not be an idiot with it, but he couldn't. Let it happen

Then we found the v6 12 lt and he said before co signing it with me.."Cody I'm only doing this because I do trust that you are mature enough to own a car like this and not kill yourself" basically your kid is younger than me and doesn't need to drive it... Let him drive only with you in it unless you trust him.. It's not about the car it's about his life and whether he can handle it or not.. You aren't turning into your dad. You are turning into a great dad who cares about his kids
Cody2399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2399 View Post
Me being 18 when I got my camaro dad was supporting me but I knew he really was thinking about saying no and having me just get a car not a beast I asked him about getting a v8 and he straight up told me that was not going to happen, he said he trusts me to not be an idiot with it, but he couldn't. Let it happen

Then we found the v6 12 lt and he said before co signing it with me.."Cody I'm only doing this because I do trust that you are mature enough to own a car like this and not kill yourself" basically your kid is younger than me and doesn't need to drive it... Let him drive only with you in it unless you trust him.. It's not about the car it's about his life and whether he can handle it or not.. You aren't turning into your dad. You are turning into a great dad who cares about his kids

I didn't mean to say anything negative about your dad not caring about his kids.. It kinda sounded like that I just wana clear that up
Cody2399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
You are having the feelings all parents go through when their kid first starts driving. It is very stressful for both kid and parent. What I did was set down some ground rules when my daughter first started driving. We bought her a Sky Redline that is fast as hell. For the first year, she wasn't allowed to have a passenger or use the phone while driving. Now two years later, I fully trust her and she has shown maturity to where I even let her drive my ZL1.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
I understand its a car as much as I like it if it was gone tomorrow so be it I can't replace my son!
Very true and I respect it, and as easy as it is to speed in this car, in the end you can speed in any vehicle, it's just quicker in this car.

But I respect your point that with more power comes more enticement to speed.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
x2martell24

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
When I was in college my parents made me let my 17 year old brother drive my 750 rwhp 69 Chevelle while I was out of state. I obviously was incredibly reluctant and not happy about the idea. He was great with the car when he first started out, but the first chance he had to show off a bit, he wrapped it around an electrical junction box. Bottom line, IMO, I don't think there is any way a new and inexperienced driver can really deal with serious hp if they haven't dealt with it before (trained or taught).
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
x2martell24

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
that being said...... teach him/her to respect a car with power like yours by showing them what it is capable of in the hands of a safe and experienced driver...........then buy them a honda civic LOL!
x2martell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
viper blue
Troy

I just have had more young (YOUNG) kids pull up and want to race and then tear ass off ripping the tires loose and that's without 500 up I have gotten a little out of controlling real quick in it (with all the nannys off .
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
It's all about knowing your child. You have to know whether they can be trusted or not. When I was 16 I routinely drove my uncle's 550 RWHP ZO6, but I drove it like I had good sense. I got my Camaro at 20, and I've never once been in trouble with traffic laws or had an accident. But, that's me.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2martell24 View Post
When I was in college my parents made me let my 17 year old brother drive my 750 rwhp 69 Chevelle while I was out of state. I obviously was incredibly reluctant and not happy about the idea. He was great with the car when he first started out, but the first chance he had to show off a bit, he wrapped it around an electrical junction box. Bottom line, IMO, I don't think there is any way a new and inexperienced driver can really deal with serious hp if they haven't dealt with it before (trained or taught).
That's what I was talking about peer pressure, I bet someone talked him into doing it. That kind of power is just too tempting.....
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
My sons are getting a slow,boring, safe vehicle's for there first car to get seat time. No way in hell they get near a muscle car. Imo any parents handing over keys of a 400hp muscle car to a 16 year old teenager are nuts.

Last edited by Thrillz; 01-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
wow you really hit home with that I too remember that feeling as a kid won't never forget it Thanks !!!!
By the way.....

Are you talking about letting your son drive YOUR car? Or getting him his own Camaro?

Because I assumed you were talking about the first one when I replied.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
viper blue
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
By the way.....

Are you talking about letting your son drive YOUR car? Or getting him his own Camaro?

Because I assumed you were talking about the first one when I replied.
drive mine hell it took me 38 years to be in a position to buy this and there is no way even if I had the money I would buy a16 year old a new car that to me is stupid. there is something about earning the money will give a sense of pride and respect for what you have