Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Does a rear mounted sts turbo kit equal turbo lag???

I asked my local speed shop about the sts turbo kit for my LLT and they said that there is a ton of turbo lag because of the fact that it is a rear mounted setup. They said that they had installed them before and that the sts turbo kit is better than not having a turbo but that they are not that good. So I wanted to get the other side of the story so I called sts and asked them about the turbo kit and the turbo lag. They told me that in the past that it was a problem but that its not a problem any more. So if anyone has a sts kit or has driven a car with a sts sutup please give me your input no lag, lil lag or a lot of lag thanks
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I asked my local speed shop about the sts turbo kit for my LLT and they said that there is a ton of turbo lag because of the fact that it is a rear mounted setup. They said that they had installed them before and that the sts turbo kit is better than not having a turbo but that they are not that good. So I wanted to get the other side of the story so I called sts and asked them about the turbo kit and the turbo lag. They told me that in the past that it was a problem but that its not a problem any more. So if anyone has a sts kit or has driven a car with a sts sutup please give me your input no lag, lil lag or a lot of lag thanks
A couple of questions...

What are your goals power wise,

Do you plan on racing, and if so, what type of racing, drag, land speed, road racing etc...

Do you have an auto or manual trans...

The reason for these questions... Lag is relative... Sure, compared to a front mount turbo system, there will be a bit of lag... but STS has come a long way in eliminating lots of it... The physics tell you that it takes longer to fill up the exhaust pipes from the manifold back to the turbos, and then you have to fill the pipes back to the engine... Bare in mind that there is as much pressure in the pipes from the manifold to the turbo's as there is in the boost pipes to the intake... There is also the cooling of the gases from the exhaust manifold to the turbos, and this causes a condensing of the gases, less volume = less spin of the turbine... until the heat is fully spread out...

This can be largely managed as STS has done by proper sizing of the pipes, and smooth runs...

If you do not plan on hard core racing, then it could be a lot of fun...

If you plan on racing and have an automatic car, then it will benefit you by allowing you to get off the line before full boost is achieved helping with tire spin...and not having to lift to shift allows you to stay at full boost after it's achieved for the entire run.

If you have a manual car then you will have to consider a no lift shift controller so you don't loose boost everytime you shift...

For pure street driving, then go for it.. For drag racing, it can be managed but it'll cost some money and effort...

For road racing, it might be the way to go as the boost doesn't hit as hard as a front mounted turbo...

All in all, STS can make a ton of power, but realistically it wont come on as fast as an exhaust manifold mounted or top mounted turbo....

A friend has an STS system on his truck, and he has no complaints, but, relative to say my turbo's, yes there is some lag... there has to be... but then my system lags compared to a roots or twin screw blower... It's the nature of the beast...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Ice Demon

Thanks for all the info I'm saving up to put a turbo or supercharger on my v6 this summer. I have a auto trans and I am hoping to see a supercharger come out because I need all the low end tq I can get but if there isn't a sc kit ill then be considering the sts system. My power goals are as much as possible but at least 600hp. I will be doing a lot of light to light racing lol (so drag) and a few track days.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Babar777

Drives: Chevy CamaroV6 2010 STSturbo
when a supercharger kit appears? anybody knows?
Babar777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for all the info I'm saving up to put a turbo or supercharger on my v6 this summer. I have a auto trans and I am hoping to see a supercharger come out because I need all the low end tq I can get but if there isn't a sc kit ill then be considering the sts system. My power goals are as much as possible but at least 600hp. I will be doing a lot of light to light racing lol (so drag) and a few track days.
Check with Mike at Whiteside Customs... They just built a V-6 Turbo Camaro and took it to SEMA... I don't know if he did the turbos or if another vendor did them for him, but it's supposed to be pretty amazing...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Uh you should probably leave out the "light to light" racing comment....

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
Uh you should probably leave out the "light to light" racing comment....
He meant the start light to the finish light...

Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Ice Demon

I'll have to checkout whiteside customs. I have also been talking to my local speed shop and they said they could do a costoms roots supercharger for $7500 or a single turbo for arround 5k or twins for arround 8k but all of these prices are just estimates. So as far as costom kits I have a lot of choices. Just have to pay to play.

And exactly start line to finish line at the drag strip.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
"At least 600 hp" doesn't seem realistic at all.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Ice Demon

600hp is possible just swap out the internals (forged pistons and rods etc.) and turn up the boost
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Whiteside's turbos were built by RX Performance (SC2150), and is similar to my setup. 600 BHP probably won't be possible until we get a better high-pressure fuel pump. With the A6 you are going to have to invest some money in the differential (easiest to swap for a take off from a SS), and get a tranny cooler. Also consider a torque converter and some really good drag radials.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
Ice Demon

Didn't think about the fuel to air ratio so your saying that the stock fuel pump can't pump enough fuel at higher boost.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
... It's the nature of the beast...
lol

Quote:
600hp is possible just swap out the internals (forged pistons and rods etc.) and turn up the boost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
"At least 600 hp" doesn't seem realistic at all.
600 can easily be attained without forging the bottom end. Much passed that and you are correct. But the right cam and exhaust will be key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Whiteside's turbos were built by RX Performance (SC2150), and is similar to my setup. 600 BHP probably won't be possible until we get a better high-pressure fuel pump. With the A6 you are going to have to invest some money in the differential (easiest to swap for a take off from a SS), and get a tranny cooler. Also consider a torque converter and some really good drag radials.

Quote:
Didn't think about the fuel to air ratio so your saying that the stock fuel pump can't pump enough fuel at higher boost.
Depends on how much boost. But you at least want a boost-a-pump with a blower, and if you are seriously talking about 600+ rwhp then yes. A fuel pump upgrade is gonna be recommended.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Ice Demon

As far as a cam I'm going to have a costom cam cut and I already have longtube headers with high flow cats and a muffler delete. And good to know that I will not have to swap the internals at first.