Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
question for Janettey Tuning..

I had a JRE tune on my Gen5 l99 and it was perfect....
Im Wondering if the Ted Janettey tune can do anything about changing the overly loud start up "cold fartty " noise when cold starting these gen6 Camaros?

A car with 455hp at cold start should have a much deeper AND controlled tone... like the gen5 had. Does anyone have first hand info on this? Ive read other posts that say the " rattle farty "sound at cold start up is due to the following :

" .. a double squirt of fuel. It was advertised by GM that cold start hydrocarbon emissions were cut by 25% in the DI engine by excellerating the warm up procedure. " and that it could be adjusted in a tune under the fuel section by Disabling something called "double pulse/cranking" ????
"HP Tuners calls it a mixture of "cat lightoff" and "catalyst warmup mode". When disabled it got rid of the extra clicking noise at the top of the motor from the extra injection pulse as well as the extra hanging high idle at warmup. Now it just idles up for a few seconds then beings to idle back down. Problem is, this still dosent fix the chassis control module from opening the NPP exhaust valves all the way on startup. Which makes the startup obnoxiously and overly loud for a stock car. I believe the valve is open during startup to release any condensation. I heard there was talk of HP tuners being able to reflash the chassis control module, allowing control over the NPP valves""

Does anyone have experience with tuning to make the car cold start less rattlely/quieter and deeper tone?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-02 View Post
I had a JRE tune on my Gen5 l99 and it was perfect....
Im Wondering if the Ted Janettey tune can do anything about changing the overly loud start up "cold fartty " noise when cold starting these gen6 Camaros?

A car with 455hp at cold start should have a much deeper AND controlled tone... like the gen5 had. Does anyone have first hand info on this? Ive read other posts that say the " rattle farty "sound at cold start up is due to the following :

" .. a double squirt of fuel. It was advertised by GM that cold start hydrocarbon emissions were cut by 25% in the DI engine by excellerating the warm up procedure. " and that it could be adjusted in a tune under the fuel section by Disabling something called "double pulse/cranking" ????
"HP Tuners calls it a mixture of "cat lightoff" and "catalyst warmup mode". When disabled it got rid of the extra clicking noise at the top of the motor from the extra injection pulse as well as the extra hanging high idle at warmup. Now it just idles up for a few seconds then beings to idle back down. Problem is, this still dosent fix the chassis control module from opening the NPP exhaust valves all the way on startup. Which makes the startup obnoxiously and overly loud for a stock car. I believe the valve is open during startup to release any condensation. I heard there was talk of HP tuners being able to reflash the chassis control module, allowing control over the NPP valves""

Does anyone have experience with tuning to make the car cold start less rattlely/quieter and deeper tone?
Thank you for your business.

We know why they do what they do the question comes down to can we eliminate it.

The Cyote Mustangs are Horrible for this in comparison.

They retard the timing, retard the cams, put extra fuel in all in an effort to light the cats off and reduce emission on start up.

As long as we have access to all the tables that control this function we can disable it, and on Fords set up for off road use only we have done so and they sound like a normal old school muscle car on start up hot or cold.

I have not had any requests to disable the loud cold start exhaust note so I have never tried it on the LT-1

I will have a look when I get a chance.

We can tune the FPCM for fuel pump control on 2016 down models, but not exhaust control, at least no yet.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
MR-02

Hey Thanks for the info Ted, . . .eagerly awaiting if it can be done.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
MR-02

Also,,,its the exhaust note that conveys the health of a car in an instant! First impression to a bystander makes them think one of two things, either " . . that car is a Beast!" or ". . .that car is crappy!"
Yeah, the mustang start up is even worse....what were they thinking? Ted, please look into it.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Also,,,its the exhaust note that conveys the health of a car in an instant! First impression to a bystander makes them think one of two things, either " . . that car is a Beast!" or ". . .that car is crappy!"
Yeah, the mustang start up is even worse....what were they thinking? Ted, please look into it.
We would need to start with a custom tuning solution for your car like HPtuners, then I can change the cam angles, and spark tables on cold start.

Ted.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
MR-02

Thanks Ted, I just need some clarification...
1. So would I be the first car to get this done as a separate tune just for the cold start or would it be added in to the email tune I would purchase with all the standard things you already include?
2. When you say camshaft, does that mean opening the engine to adjust/install hard parts? Would it require more than a basic email download ?
3. Also, I still have the Sct programmer from my original tune you sent me on my gen5, back in 2012, can it be used again for this new tune on my Gen6?
4. Ted, Thanks for your time. I Just want to know what I'm getting myself into here once the ball stats rolling.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks Ted, I just need some clarification...
1. So would I be the first car to get this done as a separate tune just for the cold start or would it be added in to the email tune I would purchase with all the standard things you already include? Separate fee.
2. When you say camshaft, does that mean opening the engine to adjust/install hard parts? Would it require more than a basic email download ? No I will be adjusting the VVT commanded cam retard.
3. Also, I still have the Sct programmer from my original tune you sent me on my gen5, back in 2012, can it be used again for this new tune on my Gen6?
Possibly, X3 or X4? either way it must not be married to your old car and will need to be updated to work on the Gen 6
4. Ted, Thanks for your time. I Just want to know what I'm getting myself into here once the ball stats rolling.
Answers in red.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
MR-02

Hi Ted,
I'm unsure about being the first car to do this. Is there any way I can hear some sound clips or get more info if others have also been able to disable the overly loud cold start with your tune?
Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Hi Ted,
I'm unsure about being the first car to do this. Is there any way I can hear some sound clips or get more info if others have also been able to disable the overly loud cold start with your tune?
Thanks
No sorry. like I said no one has done it on GM I have done it on fords just fine.

Ted.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #10
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
Its an option in HPTuners I believe called Catalyst or something. Disable this by setting the parameters so the car will never meet them and it will no longer make this sound at start up. It is very annoying and I hate being asked why the car sounds like that on cold starts..
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy87 View Post
Its an option in HPTuners I believe called Catalyst or something. Disable this by setting the parameters so the car will never meet them and it will no longer make this sound at start up. It is very annoying and I hate being asked why the car sounds like that on cold starts..
This would not be the correct advice for someone who has cats, turning this switch off destroy the cats because you would have no Cat Overtemp protection.

There are better ways to do this.

Ted.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
gippy87

Drives: 2016 2ss
Sorry you are correct. In my case I do not have cats.
gippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #13
MR-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
This would not be the correct advice for someone who has cats, turning this switch off destroy the cats because you would have no Cat Overtemp protection.

There are better ways to do this.

Ted.
Hey Ted, I really appreciate the info. my car is in storage now for winter anyways, but I really think more people would be seriously interested in a cleaner/deeper "Tuned right" sounding start up sound-rather than the stock rattle..... if you are able to tune anyone's V8 ss, PLEASE post a sound clip of how much better your tune will make the start up will sound for this car.
Thanks!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Hey Ted, I really appreciate the info. my car is in storage now for winter anyways, but I really think more people would be seriously interested in a cleaner/deeper "Tuned right" sounding start up sound-rather than the stock rattle..... if you are able to tune anyone's V8 ss, PLEASE post a sound clip of how much better your tune will make the start up will sound for this car.
Thanks!
I have been looking at it an it is quite simple but you must know it may not allow your readiness monitors to set by delaying the cat warm up mode.

If you live in a nazi state I would recommend against it.

Ted.