Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Will Long Tube headers + hi flow cats + NO TUNE=Run rich + codes?
YES 38 71.70%
NO 15 28.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
Poll: LT Headers with hi flow's WILL definitely cause your car to run rich

My friend and I are having a disagreement over whether or not LT headers with no tune will throw codes and cause the car to run rich, even with high flow cats.

After having done extensive research I said it undoubtedly would. He maintains that if you're still running cats, regardless of tune, the ecu will adjust. He says this because he has a C55 and says that on the Benz forums everyone is reporting that a tune is not necessary for their cars. So he applied that logic to my car, an L99 SS.

Please pick a side and state why.

This should be good.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I've heard it both ways (lean and rich), I'm trying to get confirmation in another thread too... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=34

I personally think it'll make you run rich if anything, but I don't have LTs nor am I an expert in O2 sensors and fluid dynamics...
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
throw codes because of lower cat efficiency = yes

run rich at cruising speeds = no
run rich at WOT = maybe

you need 2 polls for 2 questions.

better place for your question: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Stupid is as stupid does...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Stupid is as stupid does...

If something's on your mind you can go ahead and say it. If you wanna make a bitch ass comment like that then I suggest you don't comment at all.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
This topic has been beaten to almost to death, only reason they kept it alive is to beat OT again... and again... and again.

If you get headers... GET A F-ING TUNE!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
My last two Camaro needed a tune after headers and cats. Both of them also were running rich.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I tested a Camaro SS with LT with off road pipe for about 3 days and it was definitely running rich, you could smell the fumes from inside the car on long drives. This car was not tuned because the check engine light was on and it had less than 8,000 miles on the odometer.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
From my understanding adding headers allows more air flow which in turn should cause your car to run more lean. However the computer can make small adjustments so it might be putting in more fuel.

The CEL comes from the Cats. The basics behind it this is that there are two sensors reading your cats. One is before the cat to get the initial reading and then one after the cat to get the post cat reading. If the rear sensor doesn't see enough of a change (based on whatever parameters set in the computer) then it will assume your cat is not working properly and thus throw a CEL.

I've heard that because the cat is farther away from the engine it can't heat up enough to burn whatever it needs inside the cat to make the exhaust cleaner. It's also my understanding that the OEM cats have 600 (can't remember the name) cells meaning exhaust holes vs high flow cats have a 200 cell cat. Based on that I would think the 600 cell cat would heat up more as well.

If it wasn't for the cats you wouldn't get a CEL....your car just wouldn't run as good. From my research GM made the OEM tune pretty rich in order to accomodate all the different environments. After all a car in higher altitude is going to act differntly than say a car somewhere that is closer to sea level. You'll pick up close to 10 rwhp just by adjusting the Fuel Trims the correct settings.

I'm no expert but that was my understanding of it.

Of course know that by tuning the car you'll run the risk of losing your power train warranty. Still worth it in my book. Headers and tune made a huge difference.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
Termin8r27

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
From my understanding adding headers allows more air flow which in turn should cause your car to run more lean. However the computer can make small adjustments so it might be putting in more fuel.

The CEL comes from the Cats. The basics behind it this is that there are two sensors reading your cats. One is before the cat to get the initial reading and then one after the cat to get the post cat reading. If the rear sensor doesn't see enough of a change (based on whatever parameters set in the computer) then it will assume your cat is not working properly and thus throw a CEL.

I've heard that because the cat is farther away from the engine it can't heat up enough to burn whatever it needs inside the cat to make the exhaust cleaner. It's also my understanding that the OEM cats have 600 (can't remember the name) cells meaning exhaust holes vs high flow cats have a 200 cell cat. Based on that I would think the 600 cell cat would heat up more as well.

If it wasn't for the cats you wouldn't get a CEL....your car just wouldn't run as good. From my research GM made the OEM tune pretty rich in order to accomodate all the different environments. After all a car in higher altitude is going to act differntly than say a car somewhere that is closer to sea level. You'll pick up close to 10 rwhp just by adjusting the Fuel Trims the correct settings.

I'm no expert but that was my understanding of it.

Of course know that by tuning the car you'll run the risk of losing your power train warranty. Still worth it in my book. Headers and tune made a huge difference.
I second this.

Mine was running lean after the header install...the headers and new exhaust flow so much more the ECU tries to add more fuel but its usually not enough and not able to compensate fully. I voted yes, but again I think most of the time you're going to run on the lean side.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i have heard of lean.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #12
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
I ran my car for almost a year with LT's and no tune. I knew the car was about to get ripped up, and supercharged so I figured why waste the effort. Car ran fine with no issues. Even made decent numbers all told. Are you making the most power, or is your car running the best with LT's and no tune..no in each case. Is the world gonna end if you do not get a tune immediatly after headers..no.

And..the answer to the original question is in the post below. All the dyno runs we did in the header test below are untuned. It is slightly lean down low, and rich up top.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=131
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
I have always heard if anything it will run a lil lean. Every car I have seen with LT's will throw a code eventually. The car will not run proper trust me. Do your self a favor, if you have the money to drop on LT's and exhaust spend a lil more and get tuned. No comparison. My car prior to tune with LT's was runnin lean, threw a code, timing was off etc..
Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #14
DonnellyJT

Drives: 2011 1SS
My TSP LTs with HFCs are throwing codes now. It took a week. I clear the codes and they come back in a day or two. It smells rich to me too. I would say I fall into the typical results category of adding LTs and HFCs before getting a tune.
DonnellyJT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, flow, headers, high, tune