Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #113
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Lap times set on different days, under different conditions, simply aren’t comparable.

Ring times are guidelines not gospel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Ssssshhh... You'll get banned for saying such things.
Hyperbole anyone?

I am unaware of any non-troll on Camaro5 stating that Nurburgring times are "gospel."

However, some have stated that a Nurburgring lap time is a useful indication of how a vehicle will perform under the types of conditions that they could encounter during real world, non-track driving conditions, and that the Nurburgring is an excellent venue to judge a vehicle's overall performance capability, since a vehicle must have a well balanced overall performance package to do well at the Nurburgring. If a vehicle posts a good Nurburgring time, many believe that is an indication that the car is a well balanced high performance vehicle.

I know that many like to focus on 0-60 MPH and quarter mile times and trap speeds, stating that most ZL1s will be driven on the street or the strip where all that matters is straight line performance, and that almost no one will take their ZL1 to the Nurburgring, but the ZL1, although it has Launch Control, was designed to be much more than a vehicle that spends most of its time making straight line runs, and one doesn't have to drive one's ZL1 on the Nurburgring to make use of the characteristics of the ZL1 that make it perform well at the Nurburging.

It's not the 1960s anymore when most muscle cars were judged primarily on their straight line performance. Some may be stuck in the past, focused mainly on a vehicle's straight line performance, but today a high performance vehicle needs to perform well at many different venues and under many different circumstances, including providing seamless, comfortable everyday transportation.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #114
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Unless Ford shuts down the track like GM did, i don't see them providing any times for the ring... I really wish they would, but i don't see it happening unfortunately...

Kinda hard to set a really good time in traffic.
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #115
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
You guys are running out of threads....

Just sayin...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #116
BackToTheFuture
Banned

Drives: 10 IOM 2SS RS; 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
You guys are running out of threads....

Just sayin...
Just wait for the videos to start appearing of tuned/cai 5.0s out running ZL1s at the drag strip.
BackToTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #117
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheFuture View Post
Just wait for the videos to start appearing of tuned/cai 5.0s out running ZL1s at the drag strip.
I guess you could say the same about the GT500's... They seem to be running similar times. Just sayin...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #118
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
Unless Ford shuts down the track like GM did, i don't see them providing any times for the ring... I really wish they would, but i don't see it happening unfortunately...

Kinda hard to set a really good time in traffic.
Look at the Ford GT's time on wikipedia if I recall correctly that was done by a magazine in traffic
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #119
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Hyperbole anyone?

...many believe that is an indication that the car is a well balanced high performance vehicle.
Many indeed do. And they are wrong. The Ring is a marketing vehicle far more than a test facility and many cars tested there have proven to be anything but well rounded performance cars. The Ring times are today's 1/4 numbers and just as misleading in most cases. I actually believe the ZL1 and it magno-neato suspension will make it superior to most Ring developed cars that beat both their drivers and their rims up on a regular basis when negotiating city streets and country lane ways that are a part of real world driving.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #120
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Attacks The Nürburgring

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...burgring-video

Obvioulsy just a tuning vid because it's on a wet track, but it's still kinda cool.... So any comparison to the ZL1 times would be totally irrelevant, and if they published track-times, they would only be mis-used by brand-loyalists who would conveniently not mention the rain.

Common sense would dictate that their purpose for running the car in the rain had nothing to do with posting lap times for public consumption... If I were betting, I'd bet that they were dialing-in final adjustments and calibrations for all the different stability and traction-control settings.

People hear about a car being on a test-track, and automatically assume they're running it flat-out to produce numbers. Most of the time they're methodically working out the final-details of really tedious stuff.

Enjoy...
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #121
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
...and the excuses begin...

I enjoyed watching it yesterday...and you'll notice not all the video was shot in the "wet", so it's obviously a "compilation", edited/aided/abetted...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #122
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...and the excuses begin...

I enjoyed watching it yesterday...and you'll notice not all the video was shot in the "wet", so it's obviously a "compilation", edited/aided/abetted...
AN excuse for what? It's a long track - the vid shows various real world conditions that are perfect for dialing in a suspension.

If I were Ford's PR dudes, I wouldn't let my R/D guys run hotlaps at the 'ring. Why? Because they want the cars first compared HEAD TO HEAD, no excuses, no "Well the humidity that day was", no "If it were the same driver", etc...

So why screw with it? Let the cars defend themselves head-to-head. I have a feeling that SVT is feeling mighty confident in that regard.
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #123
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
There's a few places in that video that makes me truly hope that this car is bought by the "right" minded enthusiast. This is a fast car.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #124
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Fellas, don't let this thread turn out like the last one. Talk about the stang or get out. Quit arguing! This goes to "all" the members. There is a reason I don't enter these mustang threads anymore. The disrespect in these threads is completely unacceptable. If you see a post that pisses you off, then IGNORE IT! If you must respond to it, then do so in an adult like manner. I think we can all use a little bit more tactfulness when we post.

Post with respect in mind towards your fellow members. Disagree, but do not attack each other. We are all automotive enthusiasts are we not?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #125
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Fellas, don't let this thread turn out like the last one. Talk about the stang or get out. Quit arguing! This goes to "all" the members. There is a reason I don't enter these mustang threads anymore. The disrespect in these threads is completely unacceptable. If you see a post that pisses you off, then IGNORE IT! If you must respond to it, then do so in an adult like manner. I think we can all use a little bit more tactfulness when we post.

Post with respect in mind towards your fellow members. Disagree, but do not attack each other. We are all automotive enthusiasts are we not?
Thank you. I have to remind myself this every time and I fail at times.

back on topic...
No doubt they are dialing it in but I wonder once the dialing-in stage is done, if they'll do a complete balls-out run.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #126
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
if they'll do a complete balls-out run.
Not so much "if" as "when"...and release the results? It's a very long way to travel, just to play in the rain...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote