#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #1037
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
From 2012 - 2023 we’ve had a Chevrolet Volt plugging into a 220V charger in our garage on a separate meter, so I know EXACTLY how much we pay. Never crossed $40/month. When I rented a Model Y in Atlanta and charged it at a mall, it cost $11.24 to charge from 55% charge to 90% charge.
Wow... You completely missed the point of my post and actually your response just proves that my post you quoted is true.

My post stated that all pro EV owners ever want to talk about today is the cost of charging today, they never want to talk about what it will be when/if EVs take over ICE. Enjoy those cheap rates while you can.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:29 AM   #1038
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
In 5 years time when youve got all that, batteries are giving 1000 miles+ range and it takes <10 minutes to fill up will your opinion be different?

I'm still waiting for the "flying cars" we were told that were coming 50 years ago.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #1039
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...5da65a79&ei=24

Executive Chair Bill Ford and Chief Executive Jim Farley expressed concern that a highly favorable contract with the United Auto Workers (UAW) union could deeply wound Ford Motor Co. (NYSE: F) financially. However, they could always point to Ford's EV future and how it would transform the car company. Instead, it announced a major retreat from these electric vehicle plans. (These are the first eight vehicles that stopped production when the UAW called a strike.)
Ford’s battle with the UAW is not over. The UAW management has cut a deal wildly in its favor. However, union members may not accept it as good enough. A new round of bargaining could put Ford in an even worse position. The contract is already rich. Union members get a raise of 25% over about four years. They receive improved and expensive benefits. Ford’s chief financial officer, John Lawler, worried that this would compromise the company's ability to develop new vehicles.

Shockingly, Ford throttled back sharply in its EV investment. CNBC reported, “Ford will postpone about $12 billion in EV investment as buyers become more cautious.” Almost all of Ford’s road forward was based on this massive investment. It has been thrown on the junk pile and will be hard to retrieve as some other auto companies move forward, although General Motors may also have to retreat. Tesla, however, continues to charge ahead.
Ford said EV demand had softened. For Ford, it may never have been hard. Consumers will not pay premiums for EVs, management said. What it did not say is that EV sales face a choppy period, at best, because consumers do not like that there are too few charging stations, charging takes too long and the range of the cars is not favorable compared to gasoline-powered models. There is also evidence that Republicans rarely buy EVs, which is a large dent in the market.

Related video: Reaction after UAW and Ford reach tentative

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #1040
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
In a way he's not wrong, in general. They try to perfect dystopia in Europe then ship it here.
I'm not saying they don't make improvements, that's obvious. I'm laughing at the fact that he thinks what he posted is going to be achievable in 5 years to the masses. Batteries that get 1000 miles on a charge and charge in less then 10 minutes... If anyone believes that, great... I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been reading for years on the forums I'm on about how EVs are going to take over. But now all I see online and read is that the manufactures are cutting production because nobody is buying them. IDK.. That's why I take all EV talk/discussions with grain of salt.

Normally I don't even bother getting into EV discussion threads, because it's a polarizing as politics or religion discussions. I can go back on EV threads on forums I'm on from years past and all the same arguments that are on the 78 pages of post in this thread were all the same $hit back then. I was just bored the other day, so I jumped in...I'm about to check back out... lol

Enjoy
Old 10-27-2023, 10:57 AM   #1041
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Wow... You completely missed the point of my post and actually your response just proves that my post you quoted is true.

My post stated that all pro EV owners ever want to talk about today is the cost of charging today, they never want to talk about what it will be when/if EVs take over ICE. Enjoy those cheap rates while you can.
I’m a lot more confident in the cost of electricity 5 years from now than I am with the cost of gasoline 5 years from now. I think we all enjoyed those cheap gas prices…until they weren’t.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:25 AM   #1042
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
Ill keep saying it ....... Im in Europe, I reckon we are about 5 years ahead of the US with this.
In the UK there are 30K public charging sites against 9K gas stations. Charging my Audi E-tron (a little smaller than a Q7, if you dont fit in that maybe you need to consider monster trucks) at a public charger is still only about half what it would cost in gas.
All new buildings are required to have car chargers installed, and apart from the fact our power rates are set by government, whats going to happen to gas prices as there are less and less ICE vehicles on the road?

In 5 years time when youve got all that, batteries are giving 1000 miles+ range and it takes <10 minutes to fill up will your opinion be different?
They will go down. Less demand.

Unless, of course, governments pile on even more taxes in order to further "incentivize" people to buy the approved mode of transportation.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:38 AM   #1043
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Electric Vehicles

Quote:
I'm not saying they don't make improvements, that's obvious. I'm laughing at the fact that he thinks what he posted is going to be achievable in 5 years to the masses. Batteries that get 1000 miles on a charge and charge in less then 10 minutes... If anyone believes that, great... I'll believe it when I see it.
Solid state batteries are close to mass production and will eliminate most of the controversies regarding EVs

They probably won’t get 1000 miles to a charge by will be close and yes 10 minutes to charge is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:40 AM   #1044
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
I’m a lot more confident in the cost of electricity 5 years from now than I am with the cost of gasoline 5 years from now. I think we all enjoyed those cheap gas prices…until they weren’t.

I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:46 AM   #1045
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I wasn't talking about the tech
Gotcha... ;-).... I missed that...lol
Old 10-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #1046
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Solid state batteries are close to mass production and will eliminate most of the controversies regarding EVs

They probably won’t get 1000 miles to a charge by will be close and yes 10 minutes to charge is correct

Like I said, I will believe it when I see it. I won't take your word for it...

The other part of that equation is affordability. We need to wait to see what an EV with that tech costs... Also if solid state batteries are close to mass production why would anyone buy an EV with a lithium battery today? Your EV would be obsolete tech. It would be like buying a bag phone when the smart phone is a couple years off. The average person today already can't afford an EV. If solid state batteries are right around the corner how much loss will the manufacturer take today for every EV with a lithium battery that isn't sold?

Last edited by jamala00; 10-27-2023 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #1047
jamala00

Quote:

Like I said, the point of my post went right over your head. You regurgitated what you pay to charge your EV today in your response.

Now you are making a complete different argument and still not addressing my post you quoted... The truth of the matter is you have no clue what it will cost for either gas or electricity 5 years from now. You can take an educated guess, but that is the best you can do.

Also... I don't think gas is expensive... I can get a gallon of gas for $3.25. If I go to Starbucks and get a Grande Mocha, it costs more then that... That's 16 oz...! I can name all kinds of liquids we buy and consume on a daily bases that are far less then 1 gallon and cost far more...

Last edited by jamala00; 10-27-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:13 PM   #1048
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
They will go down. Less demand.

Unless, of course, governments pile on even more taxes in order to further "incentivize" people to buy the approved mode of transportation.
Exactly.... Less demand means lower prices.

Do people not pay attention. LOL Every time there is less demand, price per barrel of oil drops. Every time demand ramps up, price per barrel rises.

But you're right, that is exactly what the government will do. Tax the $hit out of it.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:25 PM   #1049
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Like I said, the point of my post went right over your head. You regurgitated what you pay to charge your EV today in your response.

Now you are making a complete different argument and still not addressing my post you quoted... The truth of the matter is you have no clue what it will cost for either gas or electricity 5 years from now. You can take an educated guess, but that is the best you can do.

Also... I don't think gas is expensive... I can get a gallon of gas for $3.25. If I go to Starbucks and get a Grande Mocha, it costs more then that... That's 16 oz...! I can name all kinds of liquids we buy and consume on a daily bases that are far less then 1 gallon and cost far more...
Well since I am apparently intellectually challenged on this point, I’ll yield to a smarter authority. YOU tell us what electricity prices and gas prices will be 5 years from now.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:43 PM   #1050
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Fast charge station price will probably price near parity to gas. Home electric prices can/will/have gone up to the level of tolerance for the climate agenda vs coal.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote