Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #85
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Windshield fogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd_trkr View Post
Your dealership is correct in assuming it happens to most Gen6 Camaro's. However, the higher the AC Temperature Setting you set it, the Less Condensation Builds up on the Windshield, for those of you that do not know, nor have figured this out yet. Living in Florida, I run my AC on a Hot Day at 70-73 Degrees on Start Up on my Climate Control setup, then when the car cools down I usually set it up to 74-75 Degrees and get little to no Condensation on my Windshield. So go figure, as everyone will have a different response to this on going problem.
You may be right about your car but you are incorrect about mine. If you look at the pictures and my previous posts as well as pictures you will see outside temp was 87 with my ac is set to 77 (10 degree swing) torso vents only fan speed low. The air coming out of the torso vents is noticeably warm however the upper dash leakage the air is literally like my deep freezer when opening it up. My dealership lead technician not only acknowledges this but brought it up along with me in our observations. I don't know how much more I can turn the AC up maybe say 85 while sweating here in the Florida heat.

Meanwhile driving my old Chevy truck ac wide open comfortable as a mofo without any fogging whatsoever. I wish people would realize this is not something we're doing or not doing as in running down to vatozone for some rain X fog X or simply turning our ac up to barely below outside temperatures. This is a physical defect in some of our cars.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #86
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Team 6 View Post
I wish people would realize this is not something we're doing or not doing as in running down to vatozone for some rain X fog X or simply turning our ac up to barely below outside temperatures. This is a physical defect in some of our cars.
Yep. It's a defect. Plain and simple.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #87
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Quote:
You may be right about your car but you are incorrect about mine. If you look at the pictures and my previous posts as well as pictures you will see outside temp was 87 with my ac is set to 77 (10 degree swing) torso vents only fan speed low. The air coming out of the torso vents is noticeably warm however the upper dash leakage the air is literally like my deep freezer when opening it up. My dealership lead technician not only acknowledges this but brought it up along with me in our observations. I don't know how much more I can turn the AC up maybe say 85 while sweating here in the Florida heat.

Meanwhile driving my old Chevy truck ac wide open comfortable as a mofo without any fogging whatsoever. I wish people would realize this is not something we're doing or not doing as in running down to vatozone for some rain X fog X or simply turning our ac up to barely below outside temperatures. This is a physical defect in some of our cars.
Hey bud. I'm baaaack, but seems like this fix hasn't been too successful so far for folks. I had just put in a request at my dealership to take care of this - should I wait on that?

I had already lost 6 weeks when I first got it (this time last year) due to HVAC issues, I'd rather them not rip off my windshield and dash (again) if it's futile.

I'm glad I have my 2000 Wrangler to use as my primary vehicle in the summertime. Funny how the 17 year old vehicle's AC works right but the new one doesn't...
Old 07-27-2017, 05:26 AM   #88
Wheel Team 6

Fogging windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMasticTB91 View Post
Hey bud. I'm baaaack, but seems like this fix hasn't been too successful so far for folks. I had just put in a request at my dealership to take care of this - should I wait on that?

I had already lost 6 weeks when I first got it (this time last year) due to HVAC issues, I'd rather them not rip off my windshield and dash (again) if it's futile.

I'm glad I have my 2000 Wrangler to use as my primary vehicle in the summertime. Funny how the 17 year old vehicle's AC works right but the new one doesn't...
I remember all the problems you had. Unfortunately I won't be able to give any feedback for at least 3 weeks. I'm starting to wonder if this fix is going to do anything or not to be honest with you. I totally understand the reservations about having your windshield ripped out. They broke mine removing it and apparently windshields for gen6 Camaros are like unicorns for my dealership to get a new one. Yes having another vehicle is great for you. Fortunately it's the same for me. My 03 Chevy truck the ac works fantastic like it is supposed to. I doubt the dealership would be able to help me with a loaner vehicle if I didn't have my truck anyways. I'm glad the Camaro isn't my daily driver.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #89
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
This is pretty annoying, I also live in Florida and it's pretty bad in the AM, particularly when I drive across the Indian River every morning. So last week I remembered the microfiber rag I keep in the door pocket, I folded it in half and put it up on the dash to see if it would help.

It definitely did, except it didn't reach all the way across the vent, it was only a 12" rag. So there would still be a small bit of condensation on either end, wasn't really that bad. It would also slide off whenever I would go around a turn with any enthusiasm, so it would frequently slide around.

I started thinking about using a piece of Kydex cut to the outline and setting it up there until I noticed some scrap pieces of rubber drawer liner laying around one of our shops here at work. Figured that would conform to the contours better so I picked up a piece of that. Made a paper outline and the scrap piece I had was just big enough to make two of them. This is what it came out like.

Here's a vid I took after I got to work this AM. I added a small piece of gaffer tape to it to make it easier to grab.
https://youtu.be/0IgCMYCtG6o

I've had it on there for the past two days and have seen ZERO condensation build up so far. Yes, I know it's not a proper fix but I'm not exactly ready for a tech (even the one I trust completely) to have my windshield R&R'd.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #90
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer_911 View Post
I wouldn't let this be the only thing keeping you from getting into a new Camaro. I love my Camaro and I have this problem rather bad but I just use a ttowel and it works fine.
I suppose but I'd rather not have to resort to towels or some other makeshift repair for what is clearly a defect considering the price of the car.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #91
Kaizer_911

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
This is pretty annoying, I also live in Florida and it's pretty bad in the AM, particularly when I drive across the Indian River every morning. So last week I remembered the microfiber rag I keep in the door pocket, I folded it in half and put it up on the dash to see if it would help.

It definitely did, except it didn't reach all the way across the vent, it was only a 12" rag. So there would still be a small bit of condensation on either end, wasn't really that bad. It would also slide off whenever I would go around a turn with any enthusiasm, so it would frequently slide around.

I started thinking about using a piece of Kydex cut to the outline and setting it up there until I noticed some scrap pieces of rubber drawer liner laying around one of our shops here at work. Figured that would conform to the contours better so I picked up a piece of that. Made a paper outline and the scrap piece I had was just big enough to make two of them. This is what it came out like.

Here's a vid I took after I got to work this AM. I added a small piece of gaffer tape to it to make it easier to grab.

https://youtu.be/0IgCMYCtG6o

I've had it on there for the past two days and have seen ZERO condensation build up so far. Yes, I know it's not a proper fix but I'm not exactly ready for a tech (even the one I trust completely) to have my windshield R&R'd.

Awesome! I need to stop being lazy and do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3100 - 05/25/16 | 3300 - 05/28/16
3400 - 05/31/16 | 3800 - 06/14/16, #125 Built!
4200 - 06/29/16 | 5000 - 06/29/16
6000 - 07/08/16 | Club F1FTY
Kaizer_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #92
Kaizer_911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
I suppose but I'd rather not have to resort to towels or some other makeshift repair for what is clearly a defect considering the price of the car.

I can see your point. But if I knew the windshield issue going into it, I didn't at the time, I would still buy my Camaro.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #93
Wheel Team 6

Windshield fogging

UPDATE

Here is a write up of my car's situation and the service bulletin performed. It took 2 weeks to complete. Mainly due to the windshield having to be ordered from GM then drop shipped from the supplier to the dealership. Then installation and verification of proper install after 24-48 hours. The windshield has a molding on it when new and can be difficult to remove. Supposedly mine was cracked when removing it. An aftermarket windshield could be used but I was told it would appear different. They said they wanted to return my car as I bought it. They also have to schedule a glass company to do the glass work which adds time to the process.

The main thing I noticed was an improvement. I left work then went by to get my car. The humidity was very high as when this problem is usually at it's worst. It literally rained right as I left work most of the way to the dealership. When I got in the car I immediately put the AC to the low setting and fan speed on high. I idled for about 30 minutes without condensation. I then came home and sat in my driveway idling another 30 minutes leaving the ac set to max. After an hour or so there were 2 small quarter to silver dollar sized condensation marks on the outside of the windshield but they are small. I see a major improvement after having this TSB completed. Before it didn't matter how high I turned the AC up to or how low the fan speed was. It was immediately like 2 pizzas splattered on the windshield. They showed me the 2 foam pieces that blocked the mode actuator door from closing completely. They removed them with a tool the technician made himself. My car has all the updated HVAC software as well.

Overall they were very careful with my car and did their best per the bulletin to correct this issue. They promised to do everything they could to solve this issue. While there still is leakage it isn't so awful as before to where myself and my wife were totally miserable driving the car. I can run the AC in the low to mid 70 degrees now and not sweat to death without my windshield being plastered with condensation.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #94
Kaizer_911

Quote:
UPDATE

Here is a write up of my car's situation and the service bulletin performed. It took 2 weeks to complete. Mainly due to the windshield having to be ordered from GM then drop shipped from the supplier to the dealership. Then installation and verification of proper install after 24-48 hours. The windshield has a molding on it when new and can be difficult to remove. Supposedly mine was cracked when removing it. An aftermarket windshield could be used but I was told it would appear different. They said they wanted to return my car as I bought it. They also have to schedule a glass company to do the glass work which adds time to the process.

The main thing I noticed was an improvement. I left work then went by to get my car. The humidity was very high as when this problem is usually at it's worst. It literally rained right as I left work most of the way to the dealership. When I got in the car I immediately put the AC to the low setting and fan speed on high. I idled for about 30 minutes without condensation. I then came home and sat in my driveway idling another 30 minutes leaving the ac set to max. After an hour or so there were 2 small quarter to silver dollar sized condensation marks on the outside of the windshield but they are small. I see a major improvement after having this TSB completed. Before it didn't matter how high I turned the AC up to or how low the fan speed was. It was immediately like 2 pizzas splattered on the windshield. They showed me the 2 foam pieces that blocked the mode actuator door from closing completely. They removed them with a tool the technician made himself. My car has all the updated HVAC software as well.

Overall they were very careful with my car and did their best per the bulletin to correct this issue. They promised to do everything they could to solve this issue. While there still is leakage it isn't so awful as before to where myself and my wife were totally miserable driving the car. I can run the AC in the low to mid 70 degrees now and not sweat to death without my windshield being plastered with condensation.

Thank you for the very detailed update. You seem to be one of the very few who have had any success with this TSB. Did they use the new factory calibration for the blend door or the old calibration for the blend door?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #95
Wheel Team 6

Windshield fogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer_911 View Post
Thank you for the very detailed update. You seem to be one of the very few who have had any success with this TSB. Did they use the new factory calibration for the blend door or the old calibration for the blend door?

This is the 3rd time my car has been there for the fogging windshield issue. First was an inspection for all controls and functions. Second was for a software update. This last time was for the actual TSB. The paperwork says technician scanned vehicle for up to date calibration software which the vehicle has according to their technicians.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #96
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Not taking mine in until they have a fix that really fixes. Their fix does not fix. My fix so far has been setting my AC at about 70 or 71 deg. So far no fog and 70 gets it pretty cool on a hot day.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #97
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd_trkr View Post
Your dealership is correct in assuming it happens to most Gen6 Camaro's. However, the higher the AC Temperature Setting you set it, the Less Condensation Builds up on the Windshield, for those of you that do not know, nor have figured this out yet. Living in Florida, I run my AC on a Hot Day at 70-73 Degrees on Start Up on my Climate Control setup, then when the car cools down I usually set it up to 74-75 Degrees and get little to no Condensation on my Windshield. So go figure, as everyone will have a different response to this on going problem.
Agreed. I don't live in Fla. but the last few weeks have been close to 100 deg and humid. I notice if I set my AC at about 70, 71 or 72 I get little or no cond. at all. I say little or no is because I have only taken short trips testing it. No long straight rides on the highway of over an hour yet.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #98
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
While there still is leakage it isn't so awful as before to where myself and my wife were totally miserable driving the car. I can run the AC in the low to mid 70 degrees now and not sweat to death without my windshield being plastered with condensation.
This is good to hear.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote