Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #71
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1661 View Post
it makes absolutely no sense that European models get it but American ones don't.
Cars are rated for anti theft features by insurance companies In Europe.

A lot of unique content.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #72
Richard79

Drives: 2019 Camaro V8 Coupe (UK) 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by member View Post
Sorry, admittedly a couple year old thread bump. Soleil, earlier in this thread , kindly shared pics of his EU Camaro fuel door where the solenoid actuator lock is featured on EU model 6th gen Camaros. I have searched for some time now for the part number for this solenoid. I gather this would need a circuit installed to operate this solenoid on a US model, but this should be no huge challenge to wire up. Calls to local dealer parts department, forums posts, GM and Chevrolet.com chats, etc. have yet to result in a part number for this coveted EU Camaro fuel door solenoid/actuator. Any insights or help in this search would appreciated. ...maybe even a link to a local EU dealer parts department? Please, just trying to locate the solenoid part number, I don't want to prompt further controversy or comments on the efficacy on fuel access security.

Thanks
I'm in the UK and just bought one of the last official imported Camaros. You can contact the only UK dealer here: https://www.ianallanvirginiawater.co.uk/parts-enquiries

They might be able to help with the part numbers.
Richard79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #73
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

A lot of unique content.
They are here as well, locking gas doors are just not one of the high priority options for discounts.

My wife has worked in the car insurance industry for over 35 years, theft deterrent options and safety features play a big roll in cost of insurance on a vehicle.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 06-21-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #74
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
Quote:
Quote:
They are here as well
As for theft, a locking gas cap only stops the left of gas (I don't think anyone has stolen a car through the gas cap?). Here in the USA fuel theft is not a concern for insurance companies because the value of the gas is not likely to even reach the deductible.

In the USA, IF (<--notice that's a big IF) there's a concern it would most likely be vandalism. I think fuel system contamination is not a frequent occurrence. If someone is dumping stuff in your tank, it may be time to re-evaluate your situation. Now that I think of it, if someone is stealing your fuel it's time to re-evaluate.

Also as stated before, a locking gas cap/cover won't stop your girlfriends ex from getting in (well nobody actually said that).

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #75
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
correct me if im wrong, but with the capless filler, unless the vandal has a funnel with the correct tip shape, you are safe.

Safe from siphoning but not safe from someone contaminating it.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #76
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1661 View Post
it makes absolutely no sense that European models get it but American ones don't.

Sure it does. Europe has more thugs than the US. So it increases the chances of criminal behavior.😏😁😂
Old 06-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #77
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
So glad it doesn't lock, a royal PIA to unlock . If you never piss people off, you will probably not get vandalized . I did auto damage claims in the field for 33 years, seen all types of vandalism claims regarding spray paint, scratches, eggs, foreign material in the gas tank etc etc and everyone you end up saying, someone didn't like this person.

Yeh..or just jealous of your car.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #78
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Here's the question:

How many people in this thread have had their fuel doors lock and that lock failed? I've counted at least 3.

How many people on this thread have had water poured down their capless gas neck (specifically this, as you can't just pour it into the top - you have to have a special funnel or tube)? I've not seen 1 person say this.

So, I'd say it's a LOT more likely to have the mechanism break and you not be able to refuel, than to have the car vandalized.

(Don't even get me started on siphoning. I tried the other day. Wanted to get gas for a friend's Bronco - long story. I tried 4 different hoses - none worked. And 3 of those hoses were specifically for siphoning fuel - leftovers from race car days.)

They can build cars but not make a fail proof locking mechanism except when building for the Euro market? Makes no sense.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #79
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
A lot of you are totally missing the point.

Most manufacturers have standard locking fuel doors on every vehicle they sell. It has little or nothing to do with whether anyone is scared of having someone steal or sabotage their fuel.

Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai, and VW/Audi have had locking fuel doors on ALL their cars for the last 30 years. Ford has had them on various cars since the 80s (I know my Dad’s 1988 Thunderbird had a remote fuel door release) and I think it’s standard on most of if not all their cars now.

GM is just simply out of touch with their competitors on this feature. ESPECIALLY if it’s on the European models which would require little cost and actually STREAMLINE production if ALL Camaros had it.

Pretty sure my 90s Pontiac had a lock on it from inside the car.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #80
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
A lot of you are totally missing the point.

Most manufacturers have standard locking fuel doors on every vehicle they sell. It has little or nothing to do with whether anyone is scared of having someone steal or sabotage their fuel.

Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai, and VW/Audi have had locking fuel doors on ALL their cars for the last 30 years. Ford has had them on various cars since the 80s (I know my Dad’s 1988 Thunderbird had a remote fuel door release) and I think it’s standard on most of if not all their cars now.

GM is just simply out of touch with their competitors on this feature. ESPECIALLY if it’s on the European models which would require little cost and actually STREAMLINE production if ALL Camaros had it.
I would actually say "in touch" with what the customer wants. Just because it's available doesn't mean the car needs it or the customers want it.

You are falling into the internet problem by assuming because you want it, everyone must want it so therefor GM must be out of touch for not having it.

I've driven many GM cars that had locking fuel doors.

GM just isn't going to default to demands of a few customers. Most, I'd wager, like me, could not care less.

As for siphoning? Very tough to do these days and has been for a while now.

For someone contaminating your fuel? Not sure I've ever read a case of that on this website in over 10 years. Very rare.

So GM isn't really motivated to offer a feature that prevents 2 very rare occurrences. If that many people were demanding it, you would see it on more cars.

Last edited by Number 3; 06-21-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Number 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #81
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The remote fuel door is nothing but a PIA. Get out, forget to hit the button, have to go back to open it. Screw that. I really find it a waste of time and energy to spend my life in fear of shit that has a less than .001% chance of actually happening.

If they want to make it an option for the paranoids out there that are willing to pay for it, fine. But don't make me pay for it if I DGAF.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #82
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
GM should have added a lock to the fuel door imo. When the doors are unlocked the fuel door is unlocked. Thats how my other cars are. Simple, easy, and convenient.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #83
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
GM should have added a lock to the fuel door imo. When the doors are unlocked the fuel door is unlocked. Thats how my other cars are. Simple, easy, and convenient.
One of the salient points here is that GM did, but only on the EU/AS Camaro and they left it off the US model.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:43 AM   #84
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
I would actually say "in touch" with what the customer wants. Just because it's available doesn't mean the car needs it or the customers want it.

You are falling into the internet problem by assuming because you want it, everyone must want it so therefor GM must be out of touch for not having it.

I've driven many GM cars that had locking fuel doors.

GM just isn't going to default to demands of a few customers. Most, I'd wager, like me, could not care less.

As for siphoning? Very tough to do these days and has been for a while now.

For someone contaminating your fuel? Not sure I've ever read a case of that on this website in over 10 years. Very rare.

So GM isn't really motivated to offer a feature that prevents 2 very rare occurrences. If that many people were demanding it, you would see it on more cars.
As has been previously pointed out, most car manufacturers have a locking fuel door or remote fuel door release standard on every car and SUV they make. I bet GM is the only manufacturer selling cars in North America today that doesn't have it standard across the line on every vehicle. It's something I would like to have, not that I'm worried about anyone stealing my gas or puting sugar in the tank but it's sort of like power windows. You don't really need them but every car has them standard now. Why make a car without them? Especially when the European versions have them and it would definitely streamline production and logistics of the fuel door parts for all Camaros on the East Lansing line.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote